Paint booth suggestions — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paint booth suggestions

xtremextreme Posts: 22Member
I'm putting my hydro set up in part of my garage. I have everything I'm going to need on order or in process of being made. My last major project is my painting / clear area. I have a corner in shop that I can use. That way I basically have 2 walls already there if I go with a custom build. I don't want a huge investment at this point with the learning curve and small projects but want to live a long time without lung problems. Lol I'm using paint from OHW, so Fumes will be a factor I assume since they are solvents. So, few questions. Can I get by with plastic walls, explosion proof exhaust fans...... Or will the open booths work too? About the cheapest I've found is on a site called EPTEX. About the largest I can go is about an 8x8 area. Also, will air blowing to the outdoors be clean air? I don't want the outside of my building to turn a million different colors.

Comments

• TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH here we go again. Please search Eptex on the forum before making any decisions. It might help you decide. Next all I have is a door that has intake filters and two squirrel cages exhausting the fumes out. That gives me enough moving air to get the bad fumes out fast. I would not do the plastic and just build two 2x4 walls with something smooth on the inside. Easy to maintain the over spray that will be your nemesis. The door I made was out at metal studs. then I screw dividers between the studs for the 20x20 filters. If you need pics I can send them.
  • xtremextreme Posts: 22Member
    Yea, I seen the info on their tanks from here, but just wasn't sure about other stuff...... @Tsunami - if you could, I would love to see pics!! That would be awesome. Thanks
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 327Member ✭✭✭
    Stay away from eptex. I built a 7' wide x 4 ' down draft paint table in a 7 x 8 room I partitioned off in my barn. I use 2 rule 12volt explosion proof bilge blowers around $35 each. Probably not up to and land code but they are USCG approved to remove gasoline vapors from boat engine compartments so I trust then. Works great and Keeps the fumes out of the rest of the shop. I will be adding one more blower and a larger filter area and adding a 4th wall to totally enclose the room when I have some spare time. I built it off of the design on this link vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=741110 except I made a whole 7 x 8 room with 3 walls and attached the bench to the wall. I am away from the shop so I cant take any pics. I will see if I have any on my phone when I get a chance. I will be getting a real booth when I move to a bigger shop or expand my barn but this was a very low cost option for now. I had a few items already but think it was under $200. The 3 20 x 20 filter area is not large enough I will be increasing the filter area to the entire length and width of the table.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Remember... any air that is being exhausted out of the room, needs to come into the room also. This means if the fan is rated to pull 2000cfm out of the building, you will need that same amount coming in (cracked door, window, something) or you won't actually get 2000cfm. Be aware that this can be difficult in cold temps. Here in Ohio, I could be pulling -10 deg air into the building when my booth is on... es no bueno for painting.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @xtreme You need to pull between 60 and 110 linear feet per minute through the booth. (OSHA says 60 for full hoods, 110 for half mask respirators.) We find somewhere in between to be just fine. Take the height x the width of your booth (perpendicular to flow) in feet. That tells you the cross sectional area of the booth. Take the CFM of the fan and divide by that number, and you will get the free flow theoretical number. Adding filters and any other restrictions to flow (exhaust ductwork)

Typically if you keep your fans clean you don't have much of an issue, (make an access door) usually your paint dries before it gets to the fan. That also keeps the outside of your building clean with the exception of colored dust. You can make a booth out of anything you can seal up. We use gloss white "milkhouse paneling" it is cheap and easily cleaned, and holds our "Booth Coating" very well, which seals up holes and keeps everything bright.

By no means do we dislike OHW, we use it ourselves for certain projects, but I should point out that if your lungs are a concern, Aqualac can be sprayed without a respirator. We still use one, but it is water based, so it is as safe as house paint. We have used a furnace fan for our exhaust for 5 years. When we clean the squirrelcage it is a light dust that accumulates on the outside of the blades. The motor is still clean, the paint is dry before it gets through the filters and we have no colors on the outside of the building.
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 692Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote , Milkhouse paneling?
    edited November 2015
    Here you go guys. I used the 20x20 filters with the wire inside of the perimeter.Metal studs and c-channel filter frame work. A couple of door hinges with wood blocks on the inside to get a real strong conection

Oh and don't forget the weatherstripping around the door.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Real reasonable pricing. I like that. There is a video for installation. The guy killed me when he used the top of the trowel to scoop out the FRP mastic. Rookie. LOL THanks @WileECoyote
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 692Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Honestly that stuff is great. I used it in my garage. You can wash a car inside and it just runs off the walls if you get wild with the hose. Its easy to clean, its bright as hell, and easy to replace.
    @Trouble - thanks for the link for the table size bench build. That gives me a better understanding on how to set up an exhaust system. Something small like that is what I am after at the moment.

@WileECoyote - thanks for the paint tips - I'm going to check out Aqualic Paints for sure since I'm in a residential area.

@Tsunami - thanks for the pics. That helped out as well. Now, the pic you have is your entry door with all of those filters? Does that allow enough air flow in for your exhaust going out? Do you happen to have a pic of the back side of your exhaust set up? and do you have a pic of your whole booth? No rush, as I am a few weeks out on getting the booth going.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    xtreme said:

@WileECoyote - thanks for the paint tips - I'm going to check out Aqualic Paints for sure since I'm in a residential area.

We use Aqualac almost exclusively. Over a gallon per day. You will like it.
    Two Squirell cages at the bottom of a Laminar flow bench. THe wood front is the exhaust that I had to redirect outside With 12' chimney stack

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,081Administrator El Jefe
    Speechless...
    The Coleman Was for the power outage. LOL
    Me, Myself.... I keep looking at all the light switches..... lol. just looks so normal???? haha

Honestly that stuff is great. I used it in my garage. You can wash a car inside and it just runs off the walls if you get wild with the hose. Its easy to clean, its bright as hell, and easy to replace.

Wash you car in the Garage? Your going to give us rednecks a bad name.
    @Tsunami that was a coworker, I helped him install it. My garage is filled with a skid of drywall, lawn mower, snow blowers, 4 wheelers, and tools... No room to park inside
  • HoytGirlHoytGirl Posts: 5Member
    Soooo.........We need some help is anyone from the Washington State, Thurston County area? We are having a heck of a time trying to get a straight answer about the booth or limited spray space we can have with the amount of paint we are using which is minimal we are using Cerakote is anyone familiar with eptex hood vents and if they meet codes?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,192Member, Moderator El Moderator
    HoytGirl said:

Soooo.........We need some help is anyone from the Washington State, Thurston County area? We are having a heck of a time trying to get a straight answer about the booth or limited spray space we can have with the amount of paint we are using which is minimal we are using Cerakote is anyone familiar with eptex hood vents and if they meet codes?

Do a search on here for Eptex. I wouldn't buy a thing from them. Nothing but horror stories.

• Asap501Asap501 Posts: 88Member, Business Ninja ✭✭
    Look up eptex on the forum search.  
    @HoytGirl We ran into the same issues. The Ohio EPA needed to know all of our estimated annual paint volumes before we were allowed to install our booth. The problem was, I had never even picked up a spray gun. After the guy helped me w/ all the crazy calculations for emissions, we are approved to emit 20.6 tons of VOC. I'm under 2 tons and have dipped almost 50,000 parts this year.

I'm not sure of your exact local codes, as they will vary. Talk to your local fire chief, and they probably won't know exactly either. Most booths will move the necessary amount of air over the user (per OSHA standards). It's simply dividing the CFM by the square footage of the opening. Somewhere around 100-120 feet/min is good.

For fire code, get a local fire protection/alarm company to install a system. They'll know what needs done.

What other info are you looking for specifically?
    @HoytGirl I might be able to help you if we can figure out what exactly they are looking for. Will probably need model numbers off the equipment, or at least motor sizes and fan dimensions. Booth size, filter area, size of the products being sprayed... a few other things depending on their requirements.
    Here's the thing the codes are confusing the people telling you what to do are even more confusing we just wanted to put in a hood vent we are only doing a couple paresults a week to start we both have jobs it's a side business for now. We just waneed a limited spray space and don't even know how to get through the red tape at this point. ..frustrated
    @HoytGirl it seems that you have encountered typical misconceptions about the type and amount of work you will be doing. Is this out of your garage, or have you leased a space? My assumption is that you have involved a government agency before you needed too. If you ask, you are not allowed to use a spray paint without a booth that has an inspected fire suppression system.

But if you just do it, your project turns a different color and you move on with your day
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,192Member, Moderator El Moderator
    What @WileECoyote said. Most government types assume everything involving paint will be a full-on automotive plant burning through dozens of gallons of paint a week.
    Out of our shop, We told her it was only 50cc's. She has change her requirements three times on us. After she said we could just put a table up against a wall in the garage if it is no bigger than 9 square feet and then she told us we would have to vent our whole garage. Then she read the MSDS sheets and told her that we would have to get a Dry chem fire system. Then she told us all of our wiring had to be class 1 division 2 does that mean she just wants GFCI outlets in it? Does it have to have curtains will a hood vent just work for it if its doing the same thing with the carbon filter on it?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,081Administrator El Jefe
    Go get a Paasch table top unit...you won't need anything but a hole in the roof....it's just a hobby...
    @HoytGirl Class one Division 2 requirements are for an enclosed spray booth where flammable solvents are LIKELY to hit ignitable saturation. GFCI doesn't even come CLOSE to what that requirement encompasses. Dry chem fire suppression only works when a flammability source is found in enough quantity to raise the temperature enough to trigger the system, or a arc detector would "see" the UV light created from it.

I would never dismiss someone's knowledge of their job without meeting them... But there can be a strong case made for laughing this person out the door. Her understanding of the NEC and NFPA borders on that of a senile rhesus monkey. That being said... what she says goes. You still have to work with her, or move out of her jurisdiction. You will need to understand those codes and how they DON'T apply to you.

Simple answer is a small table top unit that is approved. Just like @K2Concepts said...