First tank build

TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Posts: 255Member ✭✭✭
Start of my tank build for taxidermy skulls

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Looking good! I like the copper. Gives it a very Steampunk look. The only thing I would watch is that element in the bottom. Good chance of bubbles coming up under your film. You'll probably be fine as long as you turn it off before you lay the film on the water. Keep up the good work!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    I've seen worse...Sally forth my friend...
  • TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Posts: 255Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I have a buddy I hvac that has a Honeywell Temperature controller and is going to order me a 240v contactor to go with it. That will give it even more of the old industrial look. Hopefully have it wired up this weekend. Then off to see my cousin who is a tin knocker for the out flow diverter.
    MidOhioHydrographics what if I added a diverter just above the element 
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    youl still get bubbles unless you make sure you turn it off and cools down!!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, I'm really not sure. You'll have to experiment. But most tanks have the element in the scavenge side, partly for this reason.

If you format the name like this: @TrayersSlayers it will notify the person that you mentioned them in a comment.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,291Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really isn't any reason to keep the heating element going after you've gotten the water up to 91F Once it drops a few degrees turn it back on & just wait to dip. Doing skulls, it's not like your running them thru as a production run.
    Thanks guys! I added a switch to front of tank today to run the punp. And a extra spray nozel. Started building the control panel and made sure I fixed a 10ga ground wire to the tank. Thinking I may take a piece of gutter turn upside down angle slightly and run a piece of tubing to sprayer side of tank to vent the air bubbles off. 
    Getting there filled the tank found a leak on the factory seam. 
    Ok so have it set up and power to it. Had to go with a digital controller over the anolog. Have to staple up the romex wire. But she fires up and heats up fast. 
    Ran a leg of the 220 over to the 4 outlet box. Then separated the lower right outlet from the circuit and ran it down to a switch on side of tank to operate the pump then back up. Added a manual heater switch incase the digital one ever quits. 
    Next planning on adding a shelf above it with a light under it to illuminate the water surface. And suggestions would be helpful 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @TrayersSlayers Usually you try not to pull a leg from 220 for another operation. At times it can cause an imbalance in the load and make your breaker trip needlessly.
    Yepp...ask us how we know?...
    @K2Concepts lol how do we know? 
    My breaker is 30amp, heater draws 20. Pump is a little giant that pulls 380 watts, so it only draws 3.16 amps. Combined that's 23.16 of the 25 amps that a 30amp breaker is rated for. By the math it should be fine but who know I maybe missing something?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    In theory its fine because its below the load limit. Depending on the type of breaker, the imbalance can cause it to trip.
    edited November 2015
    Thanks wileEcoyote. I thought there may have been something that I missed. 
    @TrayersSlayers if you format someones name like this, it will alert them that you are responding to something they said.
    The key word in "imbalanced" and not "rating"...I tell people to grab a cheap radar temperature gun and slowly go over their breakers...you would be surprised to see what you might find out...
    @K2Concepts if you ever get a chance, use an IR camera and walk around your house/business... Insulation leaks, power connections, stray voltage, leaking pipe... You will go nuts fixing things
    Yes...we used to use those things to sell insulation and window packages along with our AC installs...expensive buggers...
    @K2Concepts can you use clorinenated water like city water or will the treated water have adverse affects?
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

@K2Concepts can you use clorinenated water like city water or will the treated water have adverse affects?

Yes you can because guys even drop chlorine cubes or bleach in their tanks to help maintain the water instead of changing it so often

edited December 2015
    @IceMaster  thank you that's where I was going with that question. Going to dip my first skull tomarrow. Trying on one of mine from a few years ago. Tried using electrical tape on one side and masking tape on other to see what one works best. I'm leaning towards the masking because the electrical although goes on and looks nicer I think  is going to be a royal pain in the --- to remove. 
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @TrayersSlayers - you don't even have to tape over the entire antlers, just the base of them because that's all that should get submerged. Also, of coarse it's a matter of preference, but you can tape off the teeth (before painting) with painters tape and then after you clear it, peel the tape off for nice white teeth
  • Wild_BillWild_Bill Posts: 68Member
    I use "press n seal" glad wrap,... keeps the horns clean without all the hassles of tape and plastic bags
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    use aluminum foil to wrap the antlers!!
    Ha ha I can see my wife roll her eyes when she discovers the saran wrap missing. :o