OHW as a primer for other paints — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OHW as a primer for other paints

NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,139Member, Moderator El Moderator
@K2Concepts I heard you say that you use OHW as a primer for other paints in your shop. I tried this today and the OHW just melted off. I have a welding hood that is (was) a dark navy blue. I was going to paint it with a synergy green from Low Country Hydro Paints. I wanted to brighten up the base color first with some OHW white so the finished product would be as vibrant as possible. The OHW white went on as per usual. Two light coats. About 10 minutes between coats. I then waited about 20 minutes and started with the Low Country synergy green that we had in the cabinet. I have used it on speed shapes before and it did perfectly. What happened here? Not enough time between the OHW and the green? Incompatible paints?

Comments

• jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,264Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's ugly. Why didn't you mix colors together from OHW paints???
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Ew. Yeah that's awful. Since They are both DTP paints, but different formulas, I am guessing that's where your problem came from. I have used OHW lightly under Aqualac over bare metal with good results.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,139Member, Moderator El Moderator
    jtaglia said:

That's ugly. Why didn't you mix colors together from OHW paints???

We have a limited stock of paints. Nothing green. Plus, I was wanting to try out the Low Country paint. Like I said, never had a problem with the Low Country stuff until I used it over OHW. Same paint without the OHW under it....

Ew. Yeah that's awful. Since They are both DTP paints, but different formulas, I am guessing that's where your problem came from. I have used OHW lightly under Aqualac over bare metal with good results.

I have a speed shape or two lying around that has OHW on them, but I never got around to dipping. I'll try more of the Low Country tomorrow on them since I know they are dry enough, if that's the problem.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited November 2015
    @NotSoFast looks like you rushed it. Not sure what the solvents are in Low Country but if they claim 4 minute dry time, I am going to guess they are HOT. OHW doesn't like to be re-wetted until its cured out well. I am guessing the solvents started lifting the OHW or at least softened it enough to get something to slide around.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,264Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have OHW e mail you a color chart. look it up on google what colors to mix to get another color, Like mix blue & yellow to get green ect.
  • BackwoodsHydroLLCBackwoodsHydroLLC Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
    I have used ohw as a primer under aqualac with great results.  However,  Lchp is not compatible with ohw.  I use lchp pretty much exclusively now.  Kansas hydro is about to release a new all in one paint as well I'm looking forward to.  
    jtaglia said:

Have OHW e mail you a color chart. look it up on google what colors to mix to get another color, Like mix blue & yellow to get green ect.

Like I said, we have a limited stock of OHW colors. No blue or yellows. Certainly nothing that would make synergy green that contains multiple colors of metallics in it.

And yes, @BackwoodsHydroLLC I am also looking forward to the paint from Brent's as soon as it's released. I worked with it some in Ohio.

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,466Administrator El Jefe
    @NotSoFast Yes I use OHW as a primer for just about everything...NO you cannot use Low Country over the top of OHW...or you will get what you got there...they are incompatible as far as I know...

@NotSoFast Yes I use OHW as a primer for just about everything...NO you cannot use Low Country over the top of OHW...or you will get what you got there...they are incompatible as far as I know...

Thanks. Good to know. Experiment failed. :|

• onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange - any decent solvent based paint can use OHW as a primer if need be. Looks like some heavy painting happening on that helmet - you using a 1.3 tip on that helmet?

Strange - any decent solvent based paint can use OHW as a primer if need be. Looks like some heavy painting happening on that helmet - you using a 1.3 tip on that helmet?

@onehitwonder
    1.0 tip. Just enough to cover the blue factory color. Two light coats just as if I would have been dipping straight to the OHW. It wasn't a lot of white under the green. It just liquified almost immediately and sagged down and stopped all in one line. Plus, at that angle, the green is kind of pooled up on itself and casting a shadow along the ridge of paint making it look heavier.
    Dang - very strange!!!
    @onehitwonder This is a speed shape I painted with OHW about 2 months ago that I never got around to dipping. One light coat of Low Country and I could see the paint "pooling" in the valleys of the speed shape like it didn't want to bite into the red at all. About 15 seconds later, it started cracking. The pic was taken about 5 minutes later.

Wow - there's no way a paint should do that, even over OHW.

Wow - there's no way a paint should do that, even over OHW.

It works beautifully otherwise. As shown above.
    Seems like it has a bonding problem
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,466Administrator El Jefe
    @onehitwonder JJ there has always been a problem with LC over OHW...surprised you have not heard of this before...it was all the rage on FaceBook for awhile...lol...but yea we never got it to work either...
    Thanks @K2Concepts - never seen or heard of a reaction like that with two solvent based paints.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @onehitwonder I have never seen anything like that either. I just assumed the base must have been wet when the topcoat went on. Look at Low Country's website, that dry time is something that they are pushing hard. I wonder what they reduce with to dry that fast. Of course they may be going the other way and have a bit more slow solvent in there and that is the delayed reaction with OHW. One way or the other that top coat is attacking the base and lifting/sliding
  • LiquidDreamsLiquidDreams Posts: 250Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited November 2015
    I use LCHP pretty exclusively and it is amazing solvent based paint. But no it cannot go over OHW. Basically, it does the same thing to OHW as overactivation. It just kind of melts it.  There has been a little success with light multiple coats but your best to just stay away from it. If you need to use a primer (which isn't needed on plastics with LCHP) just use a good primer. LCHP will go over pretty much everything else with no problem. If you want to know more give Brandon Askins at LCHP a call. He is a great guy with superb customer service. 
  • LCHPLCHP Posts: 36Member ✭✭
    Hey I am right here, I don't sign in over here much since OHW pays to advertise here and I don't but I was asked about this today. Yeah it appears to not be compatible. We have never had this happen over a decent primer. Something in that combination is obviously causing a bonding issue with that paint. The solvents in our paint are causing that to melt like it does when it is over activated. You do not need a primer with our paint unless you are painting bare steel or ferrous metal in which case we recommend an acid etch primer. No worries about over activation, touching when you rinse etc, paint it today dip it whenever you want, pour what you don't use back in the can and I can match pretty much any color. If it is an OEM finish just scuff and paint as usual. If you guys want a great paint with no issues there is plenty of info out there or you can contact me outside of this forum. Check us out!
  • TurnersHydroTurnersHydro Posts: 1Member
    I used to use OHW, until I discovered low country!! The game changer is WAY shorter dry time and you can actually touch the piece right after dipping!! Brandon over at Low Country has ONE HELL OF A PRODUCT!!!!! I've yet to have a problem with his paint! If ANYONE is on the fence about trying Low Country, it's time to jump!! Definitely won't be disappointed!!!

Hey I am right here, I don't sign in over here much since OHW pays to advertise here and I don't but I was asked about this today. Yeah it appears to not be compatible. We have never had this happen over a decent primer. Something in that combination is obviously causing a bonding issue with that paint. The solvents in our paint are causing that to melt like it does when it is over activated. You do not need a primer with our paint unless you are painting bare steel or ferrous metal in which case we recommend an acid etch primer. No worries about over activation, touching when you rinse etc, paint it today dip it whenever you want, pour what you don't use back in the can and I can match pretty much any color. If it is an OEM finish just scuff and paint as usual. If you guys want a great paint with no issues there is plenty of info out there or you can contact me outside of this forum. Check us out!

I was only attempting to use the white OHW as a primer to brighten up the navy welding helmet before hitting it with the synergy green.

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Just curious... Why are people so obsessed with touching the part after its dipped?

PS- I don't use either. Much too expensive for our needs.
  • LCHPLCHP Posts: 36Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure why people do that either but if you do it with my paint it will not mess it up....
    edited November 2015

Just curious... Why are people so obsessed with touching the part after its dipped?

PS- I don't use either. Much too expensive for our needs.

I don't usually have any reason to rub it out of curiosity, but have almost dropped a slippery part and had to grab it quickly before it hit the ground. Something like this could easily mess up the print if it's prone to smearing before it's cleared. Or something could accidentally bump or rub against it. You could have to re-mask the part for clear coat or something that requires handling of the part.
  • schidroschidro Posts: 315Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    When I first started I had a horrible habit of trying to rub the pva off while trying to rinse. After having to start over a few times I broke that habit.
    @schidro we started out using Aqualac and always rubbed the PVA off the parts. We didn't know there was a problem with doing that till we started hearing about it on this forum.

I'm not sure why people do that either but if you do it with my paint it will not mess it up....

Neither will mine... lol.. I would like to give your paint a try. The cost is just prohibitive in our production. We use over 1-1.5 gallons per day. Water based just makes it much easier using our pressure pot setup. But... we have a second pressure pot w/ AP in it.

@schidro we started out using Aqualac and always rubbed the PVA off the parts. We didn't know there was a problem with doing that till we started hearing about it on this forum.

Yep.