Hard Hat Dipping - Page 3 — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard Hat Dipping

13»

Comments

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,060Member ✭✭✭✭
    try moving in the dam in as you dip to keep the film from stretching!!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,516Administrator El Jefe
    Probably make it worse...
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,551Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Staci dipping one, didn't get the end result but she has the technique down.
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,606Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    nice one Staci don't you just love that pattern on a hard hat
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,064Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help folks, @RBurress‌ after seeing that video i think in rotating it too quick and possibly going in to flat.
    i enter the same way (prob 30 deg angle) then move it and rotate it as i go. I def dont start off vertical like that.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,950Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    No but the constrictor would.
    And you gotta remember to feed into the pattern...not just roll the hat into the pattern but also feed into it...down AND In...not just down...
  • jthydrojthydro Posts: 24Member
    nice vid!!
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,064Member ✭✭✭
    Well thanks to @RBurress‌ video of Staci dipping the hard hat i tried it that way and got a much better result Thanks heaps :-)

It is my own hat so its just a practise one (not 100% by no means) so the finished product isnt the best but im getting an airbrush for the touch ups and will practise again on this hard hat.

But happy with the change in technique.
  • s2koncepts2koncept Posts: 159Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that ACTIVATOR IS YOUR FRIEND when dipping hardhats
  • HydroPrintUSAHydroPrintUSA Posts: 37Member
    Great video! We did some hardhats in our training and this would of been a great technique to use! Definitely going to try this on my next dip! 
  • dlhutch8dlhutch8 Posts: 36Member
    I needed this video before I did a hard hat. I have another hard hat I'm going to do here soon
  • HDfarmerHDfarmer Posts: 70Member

What he said!

I have seen a lot of videos of dipping and i wonder why using a so big piece of film for dipping a way smaller item.
    Helps cut down the stretch...smaller pieces will tend to stretch more and distort the pattern...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 2,747Member, Moderator El Moderator

Helps cut down the stretch...smaller pieces will tend to stretch more and distort the pattern...

It works for applying a vinyl wrap, too. If you are going around a tough bend, heating and stretching 2' of material 10% is better than stretching 6" of material 40% to get to the same end result.
  • aahydroNJaahydroNJ Posts: 53Member
    brutal_1 said:

I love it when someone brings me a hard hat that's completely beat to shiz, full of stickers, and has holes drilled in it.....when for under $10 they could get one from HD and be way happier in the long run. But hey...what do I know.... :-?

I just went through this same issue with a welding helmet....

• aahydroNJaahydroNJ Posts: 53Member

Just learned something new. That would explain my frustration last night with speed shapes and using small amounts of film :)

• Hansen360Hansen360 Posts: 5Member
    No Primer or Base Coat?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 2,747Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Hansen360 said:

No Primer or Base Coat?

Yes, you have to paint them. Some paints require primer, some don't.
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 128Member ✭✭
    edited June 18
    Just wondering has anyone had a customer come back and say that their company didn't allow them to use the dipped hardhat on a jobsite?
    When I was driving a truck there was a big fad with the "Cowboy" hard hats and some others that many of the Jobsites refused to allow drivers to use.
    I think it was GP (Lumber Mill) that put a notice in the guard shack/Scale house that hardhats with graphics on them were not allowed. They had to be White or High Viz with a maximum of a company logo and certification stickers
    Might be a good idea to put a "not responsible notice" on your receipts.
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 239Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 19

Some hats say ABS they area ABS mix look close at the stamp under the hat. we do around 50-100 hard hats / helmets of various types a month. The only ones I have found that are 100% ABS are Petzl climbing hard hats. I have done a few for some guys that install windmills they do have some type of mold release on them. we now flame all plastics had too many issues so we flame till the sweating stops and make 1 extra pass the check to make sure water sheets and don't bead
    @Jeremy those color flame patterns are tough with the stretch on a hard hat. I rather paint the base and us a black pattern like naughty flames or similar
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 4,991Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @willie14228 besides that consideration, keep in mind that most places (including OSHA) consider the helmet unusable once solvent (adhesion promoter, solvent based primer/paint or even activator) touches it.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,016Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

@willie14228 besides that consideration, keep in mind that most places (including OSHA) consider the helmet unusable once solvent (adhesion promoter, solvent based primer/paint or even activator) touches it.

I'm not sure about this 100%. Sean and Dinnetta Deville from Big Brain dip thousands of hard hats and they have said before it's not an issue. @Dinnetta_gobigbrain I know you've answered this on facebook 1000 times, but maybe post something up here?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 4,991Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I shortened the response a little that I found on the internet.

October 27, 2009

Ms. Johanna Cohan
    Associate Production Manager
    Alley Theatre
    615 Texas Avenue
    Houston, TX 77002

Dear Ms. Cohan:

Your question is paraphrased and our response follows.

Question: Are adhesive stickers or paints allowed on protective helmets?

Reply: OSHA's general requirements for PPE are set forth in 29 CFR 1910.132. The specific requirements for head protection (protective helmets) are outlined in 29 CFR 1910.135, which incorporates by reference American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z89.1-1986, Z89.1-1997, and Z89.1-2003. Both 29 CFR 1910.132 and 1910.135 do not contain provisions that explicitly prohibit painting or the placement of adhesive stickers on helmet shells. However, the employer's ability to comply with the existing requirements of these standards may be adversely affected by the painting or placement of adhesive stickers on the helmet's shell.

Another concern is that paints, thinners, and solvents, as discussed in Appendix A of ANSI Z89.1-2003 and the appendices of the 1986 and 1997 versions, can also attack or damage the shell of a helmet and reduce protection.

For these reasons, painting or applying stickers must be performed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, unless the employer can demonstrate that the altered protective helmet is equally as effective and protective as those meeting the requirements of Z89.1. Protective helmet manufacturers usually provide very specific instructions regarding paints, stickers, or decals that will not negatively affect the performance of a protective helmet.

OSHA would consider painting or placing adhesive stickers acceptable if the manufacturer authorizes the alteration or the employer can demonstrate that the reliability of the helmet is not affected by the paint or the adhesive on the stickers; and the paint or placement of stickers would not reduce the ability to identify defects (i.e., use of see-through stickers) or other conditions that would indicate a reduced reliability.

Sincerely,

Richard E. Fairfax, Director
    Directorate of Enforcement Programs

And then the manufacturers response to that...

QUESTION #4 – Can I paint the shell of my hard hat?

MSA V-Gard: “Never paint a V-Gard helmet. Paint may attack and damage the helmet's shell, thereby reducing the degree of protection originally provided.”

BULLARD: Question not specifically addressed on their web site.

NORTH/FIBRE-METAL: “Do not paint . . . without the written permission of North Safety Products. Paint can attack the shell and cause degradation . . ..”

So OSHA puts it on the MFG to make that call, and the MFG won't give the go ahead without specific and controlled practices at best... In the cases of people doing many of them, I am sure they have the necessary signoffs in place, and the controlled process. For guys doing this in their garage... I sincerely doubt they have gone to that trouble.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,016Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah they manufacturers test after the coatings for sure. Riddell did the same thing.
    We beat this legal dead horse every time someone ask a question about a hard hat or sports helmet. I have had some safety guys question the dipped hard hat. I usually say I bought it that way and they leave me alone. I have worn them for the last 4 years personally I have been on Union Jobs Oilfield and Windmill installations and only get compliments. I have been through safety inspections from OSHA, ABS, Coast guard and Bureau of Ocean management. We also sold a lot over the years and have not had anyone say they could not wear one. Permission and warning labels will not keep you out of the courtroom. Everything we dip has been altered from the OEM. A good lawyer can argue that the Harley fairing or car dash or what ever it is that you altered looked so awesome it distracted the operator and caused an accident. Best to be insured. If you have money the blood sucking lawyers will come after you that's a risk you take being self employed. If you don't want the risk stay working as a employee.
    Trouble said:

the blood sucking lawyers will come after you that's a risk you take being self employed. If you don't want the risk stay working as a employee.

THIS...just part of the ride....you don't like it? Get off the horse...
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 128Member ✭✭
    Did not mean to start a stink by beating on a dead horse @Trouble but you hit your own nail on the head, As I said printing a "liability clause" is a good idea. As a truck driver C.Y.A was beat into me, we had targets painted on our back from day one when it comes to lawyers. As to safety people I never had any direct issue with OSHA it was always the little piss ants that wanted to prove they looked over you that gave us the hard times. I drove a truck from just after 9-11 until last year and drove a flatbed for over 10 of those years with an average of three deliveries a week to different jobsites and states all over this country. The only common denominator was that it would fit on a flatbed so I dealt with a lot of different fields and environments some extremely lax on safety rules and some stupid crazy about them ( as in 4 hour safety class to unload a piece that took less than 14 minutes).
    Simple fact remains though if it violates a company policy safety related or not as an outsider entering the facility your at their whim and you said you have done wind tower then you know that lost time is not counted by the hour but my the minute so I wouldn't want to be the one at the bottom of the hill when the doo-doo starts its path down to recoup that times value.
13»