Cerakote Ovens

SOHydroSOHydro Posts: 253Member ✭✭✭
Anyone found any good substitute ovens large enough to do long guns? I don't want to invest $2500 & up on an oven and I dont want to limit myself to the air cure version of Cerakote. Any suggestions? Thanks all, in advance.

Comments

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    old school locker!!
  • FullImmersionHGFullImmersionHG Posts: 106Member ✭✭

Here ya go.
  • MrGoatMrGoat Posts: 15Member
    Similar to that we are using an old gun safe which is about the same dims as that locker. Works like a champ.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Gun safes are just using layers of drywall for their fireprotection. What temp are you trying to reach?
  • SOHydroSOHydro Posts: 253Member ✭✭✭
    No more than 350 degrees
    @FullImmersionHG that was a great tip, thanks a lot.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @SOHydro for anything new you are gonna be looking for a long time for a price like that. You are going to be better of making something out of an oven and figuring out how to extend the chamber. 
  • rnewtonrnewton Posts: 166Member ✭✭
    I know nothing about this stuff, but why not a smoker for 200.00 it has regulated temp and its cheep.
  • FullImmersionHGFullImmersionHG Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    @SOHydro I was looking into building one my self and happened across that video on YouTube, thought it might be what you were looking for. @rnewton the smoker is a good idea as well, my only concern would be limiting your self to how long of a gun you could fit in one.
  • MrGoatMrGoat Posts: 15Member

Gun safes are just using layers of drywall for their fireprotection. What temp are you trying to reach?

The safe in question is just a cheap guy. It has insulation added to the internals to keep us from burning our hands on it when baking.
    @MrGoat I do quite a bit of fabricating and was in machine maintenance for years. I keep coming back to modifying something existing that is close and getting started. Most times it ends up being the piece of equipment I stay with for years after because it works plenty well for the application. People tend to overestimate what they require and their future production needs. On the flip side, I see alot of hacked together electrical accidents waiting to happen, or some disaster that causes more problems then it solves... It's a delicate balance, but I applaud every one of them for TRYING. The dream and the effort is what makes this a great country.
  • Humble308Humble308 Posts: 165Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote You're dead on when you say people tend to overestimate what they require. I'm really guilty of this and have ended up with some high quality garage decorations. Finding that middle ground can be hard at times when you feel like you should just buy it right the first time

@SOHydro The locker is a good idea. Also google image "pregnant oven" and you'll get a pretty good idea of how you can make an oven extender. Some of the designs are ghetto fabulous and other are less of a fire hazard, reckon it depends on your budget and how handy you are. I'll have to end up making something like this for powder coating
    Thanks all for the input!!
  • EmeraldcoatingsEmeraldcoatings Posts: 32Member, Business Ninja ✭✭
    We have three ovens at our shop for powder coating. We have a 8’x9’x10’ gas fired oven, a 4’x4’x8’ 220V electrical oven and a small lab oven around 3’ x 2’ x 2’. They can all reach 450 *F.

If you keep an eye out you will see used cure ovens pop up at a decent price. I bought my gas oven and small lab oven used, and made the 4’x4’8 oven around 10 years ago. I think I only paid around $400 for the lab oven and we use it all the time for smaller parts instead of firing up the larger ovens. It has great air circulation and runs off 120v

Here are a couple links to building powder coating ovens that may give you some more ideas.
    http://powder365.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=9a7832d89c44e5a710ce52fe0e2771c8

http://forum.caswellplating.com/forum/powder-coating-questions/oven-building-forum

• blindjake50blindjake50 Posts: 28Member
    That is a great idea!
  • DipandShipDipandShip Posts: 5Member
    Cheap, easy, smart, and everyone is happy!