Water base paint ?'s

FullImmersionHGFullImmersionHG Posts: 106Member ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Water Based Paints
I have never used a water based paint before but with So many of you here that speak So highly of them I thought I'd give it a try. So i have search and still not real clear on a few things so.
Do I need a primer or just an adhesion promoter when using water base on most substrates?
Does any one know of  a mix chart for water base, to make up other colors? Was just thinking it would be nice to find somthing like OHW has so you only need a few base colors.
I know I will have other questions but for now I'm just trying to fill in a few gaps in what I've already figured out. Thank guys. 

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    Yes, you still need a primer or adhesion promoter. No there is no mix chart as yet...I know they have one but I do not know if the mother company wants it published...but not sure...
  • FullImmersionHGFullImmersionHG Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    Sorry may not have been clear, but my question was more, if I use an AP do I still need to prime the parts, especially if there will not be a drastic color change.
  • FWHydroFWHydro Posts: 445Member ✭✭✭
    No you do not have to use a primer
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @FullImmersionHG The answer depends on the substrate. If it is metal, currently you have to prime (to prevent flash rusting from the water) if it is plastic, you have to use an adhesion promoter. Not ALL plastics require an adhesion promoter, but it is best to assume you do. A mechanical bond (scuffing well) will eliminate the need for adhesion promoter on some plastics, but you will have to do your testing.

So to confuse you even more, we are testing and prototyping paint that breaks these rules... but we are not there yet. And YES, we are currently working on a "mix bank" of colors. But the great part about the paint is the flowability and how it lays out. The coverage is incredible and you can change the color of a part from red or black to white in ONE coat. You can lay it on thick, and fill in some scratches, and you can spray the way that you have always learned to spray. Its very easy to get a great looking paintjob, plus its better for the environment and your family, friends, pets, and neighbors (for you guys spraying in your basements, or garage) Hopefully, if it does happen, that you get an inspection, it will look better for you that you aren't pumping solvents out your stack.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited July 2015
    We use it every single day to paint black parts light tan or pink. One coat. Here's a video where we paint to e-coated metal. We just sandblast lightly and paint direct. No primer or AP needed.

• TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    When using Plas-stik 2330s it recommends a primer before base coat,
    Thanks guys I'm going to get some soon and play around with it. @MidOhioHydrographics Thank for the video, I was figuring that a color change like that would take more than one coat. 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,230Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics we tested your ecoat, and you can take the polypro primer (AP) and spray it direct with no prep and the Aqualac bites like crazy. Saves you a blasting step...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

@MidOhioHydrographics we tested your ecoat, and you can take the polypro primer (AP) and spray it direct with no prep and the Aqualac bites like crazy. Saves you a blasting step...

I'll have to try it again. We tried that, and masking tape would pull it off almost completely. I'll do some more tests next week.
    And I will film one this time
    I wonder if we aren't applying the AP too heavy? That will be something for the training also. lol
    It could be, you just need a dusting.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    AP just needs REALLY LIGHT dusting...that's where most guys fail at the application...

Ask me how I know?...
    Probably going to get some stupid newbie answers for this one but, does the wate base paint ever rehydrate when dipping or rinsing the part? Just seems like it would with around all the water with no cyatilist to harden it. IDK.
    @FullImmersionHG simple answer? Absolutely not. We use it every single day on a few hundred parts. Some days up to 800 parts.
    @MidOhioHydrographics I kinda figured that was the simple answer. So is there any kind of additives to the paint that prevent it? I'm very analytical and like to pick everything apart and just can't seem to wrap my head around what would keep it from rehydrating. I'm sure it doesn't really matter as a lot of people seem to love it and it obviously works, just how I am.
    @FullImmersionHG there are SOME solvents in "water based paint", it is what liquifies the resin. The water simply carries the pigments to the part. Once the water and solvents evaporate off they solidify and air harden. You can rub some color off when it gets wet again but its more the abraison from your fingers. Take a 50/50 alcohol wipe, and you can strip down a paint job by a novice painter who ran the whole part in a minute or two... Not that that has ever happened. But trust me, smarter people then you and I have worked on these paints, and they are made for this industry. They would have thought of that already.
    @WileECoyote Solvent binders, thanks that makes a lot of sense. And yeah I am absolutely certain that the people who designed these paints are way smarter then me. Like I said though (very analytical) I just have to pick everything apart and try to figure why and how it works, just the way it is with me. I really appreciate you and all the others taking the time to share your knowledge, really cuts the learning curve.