Why this?

SOUTHERNHYDROSOUTHERNHYDRO Posts: 261Member ✭✭✭
photo 20150625_210854_zpswk0p9cgt.jpg
photo 20150625_210859_zpstffkuj5f.jpg

Sanded with 400 grit,flame treated and whipped with alcohol. I spray OHW white and got this.

Comments

• SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    Too much material, spray thin, in layers, especially using white as it lays thinner. The run is buildup and slide off.
    And it's not prepped correctly, causing fish eyes
  • SOUTHERNHYDROSOUTHERNHYDRO Posts: 261Member ✭✭✭

I just sprayed this hood with the same gun and paint mins before.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    My guess is part contamination, or incorrect prep.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,291Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking prep & amount of base on item

I just sprayed this hood with the same gun and paint mins before.

So **badword** what?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,342Administrator El Jefe
    Back to the drawing board...Smitty you are killing me...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @SOUTHERNHYDRO again, putting it an interesting way, but still correct, just because you sprayed something 5 minutes ago doesn't mean its going to turn out. There are alot of factors in play here that you may not understand yet. Is it the same material? Are you SURE its the same material? Did you prep it the same way? REALLY, the EXACT same way? Did you hold the gun in the same position? And not mess with the settings? And use the EXACT same speed? And overlap the exact same amount? And the same thickness? 
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    White OHW is the only color I have problems with. Nothing like that. That looks like a reaction to something. I have seen my parts for the same project look different shades of white even with what I thought was too many coats. Does not cover well at all. Nothing like all of the other paints he offers, being aerosol or quart cans. And we all know what happens when it's too thick. Good luck and let us know what you figured out.

@SOUTHERNHYDRO again, putting it an interesting way, but still correct, just because you sprayed something 5 minutes ago doesn't mean its going to turn out. There are alot of factors in play here that you may not understand yet. Is it the same material? Are you SURE its the same material? Did you prep it the same way? REALLY, the EXACT same way? Did you hold the gun in the same position? And not mess with the settings? And use the EXACT same speed? And overlap the exact same amount? And the same thickness? 

I was referring to the way the gun was setup and how the paint laid down good on the RZR hood(not the same prep). I will give it another flame and sand job and try it again. I am no prep/paint master by far,but i'm a little better than when i started :o
    That reaction or slide is not from flame treating or sanding. Just make sure your water sheets after you flame treat. Try 60% distilled and 40% isopropyl mix for your wipe down. And easy coats on the white OHW. It takes a lot more than the rest of the colors. Also check color consistency with your other parts before you dip. Ask me how I know. Good Luck
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,740Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    That first part is contaminated with an oil based cleaner, or chemical if some sort - you need to really degrease it well,neither a solvent-based degreaser, or acetone, if it doesn't melt the plastic - definitely contaminated plastic
    Will simple green work as a degreaser?
    Blue Dawn or acetone.
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would use scrub paste first then like @Tsunami said Blue dawn UNSCENTED soap
    Sac_Hydro said:

I searched Scrub paste on Google and did not find anything. Can you expound oh wise one. Then I checked my Dawn and it's the original scent. What do you know about the unscented over scented?
    Tsunami said:

Sac_Hydro said:

I searched Scrub paste on Google and did not find anything. Can you expound oh wise one. Then I checked my Dawn and it's the original scent. What do you know about the unscented over scented?
    I call it scrub paste, but look up Final Sand
    This is the stuff but I get it from local auto paint store..
    excelproducts.net/product-final-sand-8-oz-tube-use-wscuff-pad_64824.aspx
    Thanks @Sac_Hydro I use scuff and clean from SEM 38338. I had a feeling that's what you were talking about. And the Dawn unscented question is still lingering. Have you noticed a difference in the two?
    Dave
    Might be time for a manicure..
    I was told by YODA during training not to use the scented..
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,258Member, Moderator El Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Is there an unscented Dawn? Or are you referring to the original blue as opposed to the green apple scent, etc? I even looked on Dawn's website and they don't list an unscented. Only "original scent" which is the classic blue one.
    Sac_Hydro said:

Dave

You think thats bad, want to see my toes. LOL
    Tsunami said:

Sac_Hydro said:

Dave

You think thats bad, want to see my toes. LOL
    Maybe would should start a mani-pedi for Tsunami fund

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just had one sat!! my feet are sooooo smooth!!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,407Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    50/50 isopropl alcohol and water. We don't use anything else, and we have no contamination issues, ever.

50/50 isopropl alcohol and water. We don't use anything else, and we have no contamination issues, ever.

Is that before the Tinactin or after. LOL
    @Tsunami when taken internally we prefer the alcohol to be a bit more diluted. We try 50/50 but we don't get much done after that...
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,342Administrator El Jefe
    NotSoFast said:

Is there an unscented Dawn? Or are you referring to the original blue as opposed to the green apple scent, etc? I even looked on Dawn's website and they don't list an unscented. Only "original scent" which is the classic blue one.

Original Dawn is what I was referring to...