Cure Oven — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cure Oven

What are you guys using as cure ovens. I am having a hard time finding a large metal storage cabinet, so I am looking for other ideas. Need enough room for long range rifles and bulky parts like AR lowers and uppers.

Comments

• kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 813Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I call a race care frame a bulky part. Just go get you a normal house oven.
  • liquidvisionsliquidvisions Posts: 137Member ✭✭
    i use house hold oven, and conventional oven lol. When i get time and money im going to build my own oven. but the buying is never ending and its about to make me throw up
  • GCIGCI Posts: 1,317Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

check this out hope it helps out.
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    I built mine. About 5'X2'6" wide X 3' deep.
    Steel framing studs, galvanized sheet metal, rock wool insulation, an oven element and a **badword** load of rivets.
    I would steer away from the project in that video unless it was just for DIY projects. That power source and element won't hold up, neither will fiberglass insulation. Plus building an oven out of wood makes me uneasy. It might never burst into flames but, but I wouldn't feel comfortable not sitting there watching it the entire time.
    PID's fail often, so if it happens to crap out and never get a read temp over 35 degrees even though it's 500 inside the oven, the element will stay on. Yes this has happened to me, but instead of just messing up a batch of parts, I could have burned my entire shop down if my oven would have been made of wood.
    Just my .02$
  • Reaper06Reaper06 Posts: 121Member ✭✭

I call a race care frame a bulky part. Just go get you a normal house oven.

Won't hold a barreled action.

• Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hardeight said:

building an oven out of wood makes me uneasy. It might never burst into flames but, but I wouldn't feel comfortable not sitting there watching it the entire time.

That's exactly what I was thinking watching the vid!
    Assembling now. 48" wide, 18.5" deep, and 72" tall. Which is good. Got my first client yesterday, a mountain bike custom builder who wants to try both the cerakote and dipping. Oven fits the frame and forks no problem.
  • NashWorksNashWorks Posts: 24Member ✭✭
    Bought mine from Lauer Weaponry
    I think this will work.
  • CarolinaGunGraphicsCarolinaGunGraphics Posts: 52Member
    A regular over works great. Im doing a run on AR barrels right now and was able to fut 15 in at a time. I can get a shotgun barrel in it from top right to bottom left, but i have a tray warmer oven that i bake it in first. It only gets to about 180 so i flash it in there so it can be somewhat handled before bumping it into the floor and ceiling of the stove oven. I wish I were electrical minded enough to fix the trey warmer to heat to 300, but I ain't. I will hire someone one day cause the process can be a pain.
  • jnyostjnyost Posts: 3Member
    Mine is 3' x 3' x 5' tall. Google powder coating oven. I built mine out of steel studs and galvanized sheet metal.
  • BIGGAME510BIGGAME510 Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    heres my oven hot point refrigerator all steel i used the element from a oven and temp limit switch cut power if anything should stick picked it up for 100 bucks just need to paint it
  • gumbydammitgumbydammit Posts: 15Member
    Mine was built from a heavy gauge galv box and ductboard and has been working great, especially since the only items I had to pay for were the PID and the ductboard. Right now I'm doing one gun every week or two for myself or friends as practice until my FFL comes in, so it fits the bill while I'm learning. It also runs on 110VAC so I've got more options on where I can put it in the garage. My next one will be 2 nested galv boxes with rockwool between and steel studs like Hardeight mentioned.