what exactly is solvent base?(acetone,exylene,tueolene) — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what exactly is solvent base?(acetone,exylene,tueolene)

mikeDmikeD Posts: 50Member ✭✭
Hello all..im a self learner through trial and error.Ive just learned a valuable lesson on what basecoats work and what to look for when picking one to use though about 2 days of research and reading forums.I plan on taking a course in the future but simply cant afford it at this time.Now for the big question and maybe the big secret as far as ☆solvent based paints☆.When they say solvent based,does that mean the paints with acetone,xylene,and or acetone..i understand the automotive paint thing.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Yes all of those listed are solvents. If they are in the paint, it is solvent based. If it isn't water based (thins with water and cleans up with water), it is solvent based.
  • mikeDmikeD Posts: 50Member ✭✭
    Thank you for answering my question.i was pretty sure that they were solvent based.I wanted to be sure they are,so i dont spend more money on paints that wont work.Once again thanks for answering my question
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Not sure What are you meaning about "won't work"? Solvent based and water based will both work.
    Search for Aqualac (water based) and also One Hit Wonder (solvent based) just as examples. Behr Ultra (water based) has been used with good success, and so have many automotive paints (solvent).
    Ive looked for Behr in montana.i havent found it yet if there is.
    I was using the...im not sure if i can put it out there but what i was using the brand that starts with Rust..the label doesnt spesify the base.i found out its patrolium base,so i had some good dips and some bad dips with that brand.the problem was bad coverage.Thats what i mean about not working
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start by stop using Rustoleum. Way to many problems and no consistency. The only aerosol I use is OHW.
    I think Home Depot carries Behr? If you want to start on your way to improving your process, ditch the big-box store paints and Either get OHW aerosols, or get an HVLP gun and some OHW or aqualac quarts.
    I have a HVLP spraying with a 1.4 and 15 lbs preasure.i have my atomizer turned down so i dont over activate.I cant thank you guys for starting or sponsoring this forum.Its greatly appreciated by me and im sure many others.
    Ive been contiplating working with sherwin williams to come up with a formula that will work.Im trying to stay away from ordering base coat paints because having a paint at my disposal is very convient.i will look in home depot for the behr paint
    edited June 2015
    You can just go to a local auto paint supplier. Those paints usually work fine. Sherwin Williams may have something, but the one my rep recommended didn't. Just remember, these products that we recommend are known To work well with this process. Paint companies usually don't understand why a certain paint won't work for us. Just because it sticks to the substrate doesn't meant it will be kosher w the activator during dipping. There are a ton of things that can go wrong w this process. My totally honest recommendation is to first get some Aqualac, it's very forgiving. Use that to get a feel for getting good dips and activating properly, then start experimenting w paints once you know what to look for.
    Ok i will try Aqualac..
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,264Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikeD said:

Ive looked for Behr in montana.i havent found it yet if there is.

Home Depot's carry Behr exclusively

@ jtaglia i did find behr on the local home depot website.i will be checking that out also.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @mikeD Aqualac and OHW are paints designed for the Hydrographics industry. Other paints will work, but they are inconsistent at their best. We feel that Aqualac is the easiest paint to try to learn on... But we may be a bit biased. Check out our forum page on the left side of the screen, of at www.brutalhydrographicsllc.com.
    Thank you WileE..if those paints are reasonably priced then i will consider.
    I concur @WileECoyote. Yes you need primer, or adhesion promoter, but the "sweet spot" for activator seems to be larger for Aqualac. I tried about 5-6 different paints when testing for my production, and kept coming back to Aqualac.
    mikeD said:

@ jtaglia i did find behr on the local home depot website.i will be checking that out also.

@mikeD , FYI you don't need a space between the @ & the word. Then the person will be notified you had mentioned them in your post. Good luck

edited June 2015
    @MidOhioHydrographics @WileECoyote @jtaglia @Tsunami ;i wanted to thank you guys for the help and tips you've given me.I hope and think im on the right track and mind frame to produce a top quality product with more practice and some inn's and outs of this industry.Im already thinking,can i dip this and what else can i dip.Who better to learn this industry from them the guys that have done this for some years.
    Bye the way in this point in time dipping is a hobby and i dip for friends in my free time.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,466Administrator El Jefe
    If you get good enough? You can do this too...

Lmao

But ONLY if you're erection is strong enough...

But ONLY if you're erection is strong enough...
    And big enough

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,466Administrator El Jefe
    Leave it to you clowns...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,672Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Dammit @MidOhioHydrographics you beat me to it.
    @K2Concepts @MidOhioHydrographics I think my erections is strong and big enough lmao.
    @K2Concepts sorry wrong person I meant this guy lol @jtaglia ;
  • JimGJimG Posts: 88Member ✭✭
    i would steer clear of rustolium except to do your patio furnature lol.  it is a fish oil based paint and is very difficult to top coat with anything but fish oil based paint (more rustolium)
    @jtaglia by the way the base is Behr color match from home depot.thanks for the suggestion.