Best way to maintain paint booth walls. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to maintain paint booth walls.

Spook101Spook101 Posts: 106Member ✭✭
Folks, I am looking for the best way to care for and clean powder coated paint booth walls. I'm interested in any preventive maintenance or cleaning agents that won't harm the white powder coat. Thanks.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Spook101 We carry a White booth coat that you spray, roll, brush or finger paint onto the walls. As that layer gets dirty, you put another layer on, until you get 6 or so coats on. Then you simply grab a corner and tear all the dirty layers off in one sheet and start over. Brutal will be posting a video after this weekend of the results in our own booth. It is for sale at www.brutalhydrographicsllc.com
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I second @WileECoyote's recommendation. That stuff works awesome. Every couple months we just apply another coat and the booth looks new again. We also put clear adhesive plastic over the lights. We just change that out when we paint the booth.
  • Spook101Spook101 Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    Thank you. That seems like the way to go.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We go through a lot of paint and clear. Some guys may only need to recoat a couple times a year
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics they also make a clear peel-able booth coat for lights, although I like the adhesive plastic better myself. We started out using the stuff specifically made for paint booths and it works well, but for those of you that dont have access to it, or may be looking for a cheaper solution, you can try adhesive carpet protector, Peel & Seal (dont steal the wife's) or clear facing for vinyl decals.
    We actually started using the carpet protector and it works great, just a bit difficult to remove. It's pretty sticky. Then we got the stuff made specifically for booth lights, and it barely sticks. We had to tape the edges. Once this is gone, we will probably go with the carpet protector again
  • Spook101Spook101 Posts: 106Member ✭✭

We go through a lot of paint and clear. Some guys may only need to recoat a couple times a year

I see it comes in one size. How many square feet does it cover? I have a small motorcycle paint booth.
    I have an open faced booth, 10'w 7'h 6' deep, and one gallon did mine just fine. Not sure of your measurements, but if it's totally enclosed, mine would have one less wall than yours. Here are pics of when I did mine:

http://k2forums.com/discussion/3027/prime-coatings-white-spray-booth-coating
  • FullImmersionHGFullImmersionHG Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    Sorry guys a bit off topic, but just wondering @MidOhioHydrographics do you have much of a problem with particulates being drawn in to the open face booth? The company next door to where I work has an older open face booth dismantled and sitting out side. I have been thinking about trying to buy it from them, but I was worried about it drawing crap into my paint. I have only ever used an enclosed booth, so I thought I'd ask since I seen that you have one.  
    @Spook101 We sell in one gallon containers. You average 8x8x8 booth will take 1/2 to 3/4 of that depending on how you apply. REMEMBER that multiple coats are the key. Do not try to peal them off till you have at least 3 coats on. If that takes a year and a half to build up to that point its fine. You only need to apply another coat when you want it bright white again. That is the reason we sell in the gallon quantity to supply you with enough that you may get at least 2 coats out of it. You can also "spot coat" for the problem areas and only remove that section as it is built up. We will cover this in depth in the video we do this weekend.
    Yes, @FullImmersionHG when spraying gloss clear, our booth is a PITA. Good thing we spray almost entirely flat clear for production. We don't see an issue w crap in our paint though, but it wouldn't be much of an issue if we did.
    @FullImmersionHG You can usually purchase the filter wall to enclose an open face booth. Or you can order "tackified" spun polyester blanket filters to cover the opening.