applications — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

applications

pokeyh2opokeyh2o Posts: 76Member, Business Ninja
Can the oven cured cerakote be applied to wood & synthetic stocks or on metals only Thx In advance

Comments

• MrGoatMrGoat Posts: 15Member
    It sure can be. I'm not sure what the prep for doing wood parts is but for the synthetic stuff the only difference is you have to be much more careful when media blasting and when you bake you will do so at a lower temp for a longer duration
  • pokeyh2opokeyh2o Posts: 76Member, Business Ninja
    Perfect thanks
    I am currently repainting a shot gun that has either a cerakote or durakote factory finish on receiver & barrel , when sandblast do I need to blast down to bare metal or can I blast just enough to etch the surface, and as far as the synthetic stock just clean with aceton and paint
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That depends on how much you trust the adhesion if the factory finish. Some of our production parts are e-coated, and we just lightly blast it and paint to the ecoat. If you remove it completely, you'll need a primer or DTM (direct to metal) paint.

For the stock, you will need to degrease, scuff or blast, and use an adhesion promoter if you are not using a DTP paint like OHW.
    **badword** I forgot to say that I was repainting the compl gun in a different cerakote colour
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    In that case? We will let the cerakote guys chime in. I have zero experience w/ that stuff.
  • MrGoatMrGoat Posts: 15Member
    Bring it back to bare metal if you can. You will get a much better finished product, especially if you don't know what the existing finish is.
    Thanks guys I'm on it