I need heaters but only have 110V for 300 Gal tank. Thoughts — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need heaters but only have 110V for 300 Gal tank. Thoughts

RoyaltyRoyalty Posts: 14Member
Hello all,
I'm going through the materials gathering process and have run into a situation. In my current location I don't have access to 220 and will have to resort to 110v.

I saw a post about a FISH TANK HEATER but not sure of how long one or a few of these would take.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how I can heat my tank up to optimal temp in a halfway decent time?

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,869Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Royalty there are elements that run on 110. but if you have 110V, you probably have 220V. Almost all households built in the last 60 years or so do. If you have a stove, electric dryer, or air conditioner you probably do.
  • BackwoodsHydroLLCBackwoodsHydroLLC Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Or just dip in cold water..... Increases your soak time though.  
  • TyrelTyrel Posts: 5Member
    I got a 300 gallon aquarium heater from amazon and it takes about 48 hrs to heat to 90... works in a pinch
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,273Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solar heat my friend. Just kidding, it may actually work. Has anyone ever tried that?
  • RoyaltyRoyalty Posts: 14Member

@Royalty there are elements that run on 110. but if you have 110V, you probably have 220V. Almost all households built in the last 60 years or so do. If you have a stove, electric dryer, or air conditioner you probably do.

Don't get me wrong I have 220 in the house but I am setting up shop in my shed which sits about 60 yards from the house. I'm fortunate to have a capped off 110v wire for a lamp post by the shed.

@BackwoodsHydroLLC I hadn't thought of a cold water dip. I read so often about maintaining correct water temp I didn't think cold was an option.

@Tyrel
    48 hrs sucks but then again cold water sucks more. You wouldn't have a link to that heater on amazon would you?
    edited June 2015
    an actual solar panel? didnt think of that one.

I did come across a 1500w POND DEICER that looks to be promising as well as a 1500w Trough DEICER
    Post edited by Royalty on
  • preedpreed Posts: 374Member ✭✭✭✭
    there are 2000 watt 110v bucket heaters on ebay. i think thats the most you can get in 110v
    thanks
    edited June 2015
    I've never done the cold dips but some swear by it, supposedly keeps colors brighter.. It's no good for big operations, or production work as it doubles your soak time according to the guys that do it.  Maybe those bucket heaters would work, but I bet it'll take a while..

I ran underground 220 100 amp service to a sub panel in my building that I have my tank in.. You can get direct burial wire, so just trench and lay it in there.  Took about a day, and cost me less than 300 doing the work myself.

Depending on where you live though, you may only need heat during some parts of the year.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,793Administrator El Jefe
    Heat can break down your colors and cold can help with the retention...to a point...you are still introducing a variable the manufacturers never intended. We have found there are other ways to keep color retention if you know what you are doing and how to diagnose the variables...
    @K2Concepts first order of action for me is to order that new home brew you're rolling out! Gonna give a go with that.

@Tyrel
    48 hrs sucks but then again cold water sucks more. You wouldn't have a link to that heater on amazon would you?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XWRI7K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

thats the link if it worked.. new to the whole forum thing as well... sry
    Royalty said:

an actual solar panel? didnt think of that one.

I did come across a 1500w POND DEICER that looks to be promising as well as a 1500w Trough DEICER

The de icers wont work at all, They only heat a small patch to give animals a place to drink and they will not heat to 90 and maintain it.. they simply keep it above freezing. Used them on the farm when I was a kid.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,869Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Royalty said:
    Don't get me wrong I have 220 in the house but I am setting up shop in my shed which sits about 60 yards from the house. I'm fortunate to have a capped off 110v wire for a lamp post by the shed. 
    Is this in conduit? Or is it direct burried? And if you feel like consulting a creative electrician, you can get 220v without too much trouble. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,949Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If that wire is just going to a lamp post, be careful of the wire gauge and size of breaker that is on it. Heating elements draw a lot. A lamp post could only have 14ga wire (rated 15A), and at 60yds, you may have some voltage drop also. Just food for thought.
    True true. Good points from you all. I'll call an electrician friend to be sure. I know jack about electricity and don't want to blow/burn anything up.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your tank flat on the bottom? Floor heat. There I said it again. Constant 90 degrees.
    Yea...what a great idea...get the jackhammer kids, we are going to install this!...

@K2Concepts first order of action for me is to order that new home brew you're rolling out! Gonna give a go with that.

@BackwoodsHydroLLC a wise man indeed...
  • AlanCoderreAlanCoderre Posts: 74Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    You are going to spend a lot more money heating that tank with a 110. A 110 will actually draw more amps and run longer then the 220. If you are going to do it spend the extra money and get 220 ran out there. I am in the process of having to do that myself but it is worth it in the end.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,273Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep ^ is correct
  • Gunsmith53Gunsmith53 Posts: 198Member ✭✭
    Royalty said:

Hello all,
    I'm going through the materials gathering process and have run into a situation. In my current location I don't have access to 220 and will have to resort to 110v.

I saw a post about a FISH TANK HEATER but not sure of how long one or a few of these would take.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how I can heat my tank up to optimal temp in a halfway decent time?

Put in 2 or more heaters around the tank and if youhave a circulating pump, that should heat it to 90 degreres. And as one member said. If you have 110 volts you have 2220 volts. You may have to run a new Circuit from the breaker box but, that isn't really a big deal. I ran ne for my air compressor.
  • Gunsmith53Gunsmith53 Posts: 198Member ✭✭
    Royalty said:

True true. Good points from you all. I'll call an electrician friend to be sure. I know jack about electricity and don't want to blow/burn anything up.

Running a 220 circuit is easy if you are just careful. Electricity runs like a stream of water. from the Breaker box, through ther element then back to the breaker box. It's getting the right Temperature Controller you have to watch. Some run on both Voltages some don't.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,949Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited April 2016

Royalty said:

Running a 220 circuit is easy if you are just careful. Electricity runs like a stream of water. from the Breaker box, through ther element then back to the breaker box. It's getting the right Temperature Controller you have to watch. Some run on both Voltages some don't.
    @Gunsmith53 Yes, it's easy to do... The difficult part can be doing it correctly, and even more so? SAFELY. A large tank of water that you're putting your hands in is no place to assume anything is safe. 30A 220v won't just tickle...
  • gregsgregs Posts: 30Member
    easy fix on heater guys get A PORATBLE PROPANE gas heater hang it put side with a circulating pump
    @gregs The internals of the heater are not designed to hold up to the solvents, and the bits of film and other trash build up in the heat exchanger.
    And because we are shooting flammable chemicals around the shop? A open flame is ALWAYS a great idea...

• dabbott422dabbott422 Posts: 34Member
    I have tried aquarium heaters with built in thermostats in my 200 gallon tank (twice)...both worked for a while, but eventually died due to the fact that you pretty much have to run them continuously and probably because they were cheap. I'm sure with a higher quality heater an adequate circulation you could probably make it work, but it really was a pain because unless you run it all the time, it is gonna take a loooooong time to warm it up to appropriate temperature when you are ready to dip.
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,124Member ✭✭✭✭
    that's why I luv my spa heater!!! up to temp in three or so hours!
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 637Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I have a spa set up with pump, heater and control box. Pump circulates and heater comes up to temp and runs two times a day for 4 hrs. Tank size is 7 X 4 X 3 feet.