Can you use spray paint in a can from the auto paint store?

rmuckrmuck Posts: 58Member
Can you use spray paint in a can from the auto paint store? I have used several different types of spray paint from the can, most have worked others have not? I m using paint from the auto paint store since my OHW ran out and so did my cash trying to finish this nightmare project! And I can't figure out the reason why I keep failing! It appears to be under activation but I am dumping it on at least it looks like that to me! Last dip the film was all over the water I was suppose to have this done and shipped today but could not get the film to stick and help guys!

Comments

• IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    are you sure you're not mistaking over activation for under activation? "Last dip the film was all over the water" < < this right here is why I'm asking. Is it possible you went from under activating to too much?
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a few picks
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,342Administrator El Jefe
    Rattle can huh?...I think I see the problem...
  • rmuckrmuck Posts: 58Member
    edited May 2015
    I am going from one to another under and over activating I can't get a happy medium! Customer is pissed off just got off the phone with him after telling him he will not have his bike this weekend, luckily he lives in WI and me in IL! I know this is reps one after another but I don't have the money to self train myself I wish I would have had the money to go to training when Jim was near me! It's not that I can't dip because I have done some pretty awesome stuff on this bike! Or at least I think it came out good! I did 21 pieces in the FC and all turned out great after a few dips and getting the activator right with help from Jim, JJ & Brent! I just can't this blue flaming skulls to work for me! I know the last 2 dips I over activated, I need to know how to get to the right activation to send this bike down the road and get started on the other two waiting! These are pics of my first CF venture!
    And yes Jim I had to go back to a rattle can but that is what I was using from OHW and was doing great with it! I just don't have the time for shipping it takes 3 days and this job should have done 3 weeks ago! I know I have made a lot of mistakes with this big of a job it I m not sure I m suited for the bikes and the big projects but they are were the money is! I got into this business as a P/T thing to supplement my disability income but guns and small stuff was not making it for me so I jumped it up to the bikes!
  • brutal_1brutal_1 Posts: 386Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What I've learned in the 5 yrs I've been doing Hydro.....
    Business card + nobody in my area does this = "Business"
    I started out using OHW after I heard about it back in January of 2015 and have not had a problem since! I wanted to know about using paint store rattle cans because I promised the bike for a certain date and ran out of OHW so I used the paint store paint in a tight spot, taking a short cut! I wanted to know if this might be part of the problem? I ordered some more OHW so now I m good to go again just need to dial in the activator! I ran out of time to deliver the bike like I promised so I went into panic mode! I owned my own business for 30 years and operated it very successfully! It took me a year or so to straighten out all the kinks, like I m sure it will in the Hydrographic industry, but I will get it right! I have a professional tank, 3 guns and I use OHW clears for all my projects! I have dipped 100's of good dips but they were smaller ones and going from helmets, hardhats, guns to large bike tanks & fenders just threw me for a loop! I m not a quitter and will get this figured out! I will let you know how it comes out with OHW now!

And to answer Jims questions:

What size tip on the activator gun? 1.4
    What pressure you shooting at? 12-14 psi
    What activator? K2-brew
    What temperature on the tank? 90 degrees
    What soak time? 60 seconds
    The only things we DO know are:
    Paint SHOULD be OHW - I m once again!
    Film is Blue Skulls... From Kansas Hydrographics
    Best wishes to you my friend...
  • JDebo75JDebo75 Posts: 67Member ✭✭
    Why is rattle can base so bad? Looking for the technical answer, is it just cheap paint or the way it atomizes? 
  • jimskeetjimskeet Posts: 112Member ✭✭
    Well I have been using automotive 2k paint from an automotive shop but the owner mixes the paint and fills it into a rattle can for me. It is not a premade rattle can. It is the same colors that I would get to use with the spray gun but filled into the rattle can. I have never had a problem cause of the paint itself. Anytime I had problems was from wrong technique (too much activator, too little activater, not even activator delivery, wrong soaking times etc.)

Are you sure you are letting the paint to dry before you dip?

And a piece of advice, NEVER EVER EVER get a job if you haven't done a same project before with good result!
    Well cheap would be one...propellants make it touchy and you can get spotty results form them...the paint is formulated for a completely different application as there is usually no hardeners in it so good luck getting it to dry, especially after you spray activator on it...those guys are trying to be all things to all people...and yes the spray pattern of a plastic nozzle can be questionable at best...all in all? You will not be able to get consistent results out of them and that is what you need for what we do...consistency....

If you are going to use a rattle can then get OHW...at least it is formulated for what we do...
    edited June 2015
    Also when I asked for the paint in the rattle can I explained to the shop owner what I wanted to do and he said he added something to the paint so it dries to a semi matte finish so it accepts the pattern better. If your paint is drying to a glossy finish I think this is wrong since there is very poor adhesion on it.
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I think the answer your looking for is atomization. You can check with Jason at OHW for the details as to what's in the spray can. If you use a high quality product spray cans can work on small items with great success, but as the items increase so should your need to use a spray gun.
    And one thing I forgot to mention is that the spray cap that the owner is installing on the rattle cans he gives me sprays in a fan pattern. It has an identical spray pattern like a touch up spray gun I have with a 0.8 nozzle. So it is doable with a spray can if it is correctly loaded. But there is no question that it is better to use a spray gun. I use rattle cans at the moment because I do gun parts which are very small relatively to the spray pattern size of the can. I would never try to paint a fender or a motorcycle tank for example with a rattle can.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,291Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there done that, all of my rattle cans sit on a shelf waiting to paint lawn furniture, never again a project. Either buy OHW if your so inclined to using rattle cans or a quart of the stuff. What a dramatic result in the end.
    OK I guess we have to clarify...some of us assumed that the title "Rattle" can means something off the shelf...in that case? Yes you are only asking for variables outside your normal window of operation...

If someone mixes up a automotive or 2K type of paint and THEN puts it into a can for you to use? Then yes it will work...it is merely an extension of what we already normally use...automotive solvent based paints...

But for something just off the shelf like "Krylon" or "RustOleum" or other off the shelf brands? I have yet to see one act reliably and consistently for our trade...YET...and not just a "Oh I got it to work for me...once" kinda story...I mean reliably and consistently...

And as for any of the above mentioned paints? I have used them all and we have never had a paint failure come back to us...hell I painted 14,000 controllers a year for 3 years straight and never had one fail or come back to us...do we use $350 a gallon paint? Oh hell no...just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good...just means it's expensive...lol...
  • JDebo75JDebo75 Posts: 67Member ✭✭
    So with that said, if we're going to use a spray gun then you'd recommend OHW for a beginner?
    JDebo75 said:

So with that said, if we're going to use a spray gun then you'd recommend OHW for a beginner?

Here is my answer to that question...since I get asked it almost everyday...

• Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    Great Video!!

To clarify Jim I wasn't trying to insinuate that you have paint failures. I know you know your stuff.
    In the very beginning, I made a business decision on consistency. Again not saying you can't get consistent results using 4 different types of paint however using one keeps everything smooth and consistent in my shop.
    Good info as usual.

My post was basically compelled by this post:
    jimskeet said:

Well I have been using automotive 2k paint from an automotive shop but the owner mixes the paint and fills it into a rattle can for me. It is not a premade rattle can. It is the same colors that I would get to use with the spray gun but filled into the rattle can. I have never had a problem cause of the paint itself. Anytime I had problems was from wrong technique (too much activator, too little activater, not even activator delivery, wrong soaking times etc.)

Are you sure you are letting the paint to dry before you dip?

And a piece of advice, NEVER EVER EVER get a job if you haven't done a same project before with good result!

And the posts that followed..
    Oh I know...but @jimskeet has his mixed also...so the point I was trying to make is that yea..if you are having a good paint to start with? And you put it into a rattle can? It's not really rattle can paint...at least in my definition...So now we need to make a definition of what "rattle can" really means...lol...

And yes I am sorry for snapping back...now that Smitty is gone? I kinda feel the urge...lol...
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    You know me I don't get uptight about snapping back, I just like to make sure the record is straight.
    What Happened to Smitty? Did I miss something?
    Yeah when you said rattle can paint I instinctively thought that you meant "from the self" rattle can and this is why I cleared that I use high quality 2K automotive paint filled into the can. ;)

As far as water based paints here is my small experience with them.
    I have used createx auto air colors for airbrushing and tried to use them for hydrographics couple of times with a touch up gun with 0.8 tip.

The only thing that I liked if paint drops onto your skin you can just wash with water to remove.
    The things that I didn't like:
    Takes a lot longer to dry.
    I have tried to wipe water based paint with silicon remover and I saw paint residue onto the cloth that I used to wipe the painted part which means that paint reacted with silicon remover.

I have decided that 2K acrylic paint is the way to go for me.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,258Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Sac_Hydro said:

You know me I don't get uptight about snapping back, I just like to make sure the record is straight.
    What Happened to Smitty? Did I miss something?

He quit the hydro business last week.
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    nope he made his 1million dollars doin this s#*t and said f u im movin to the Bahamas!!

nope he made his 1million dollars doin this s#*t and said f u im movin to the Bahamas!!

Bastard...