Does film adhere on abs plastic?

jimskeetjimskeet Posts: 112Member ✭✭
So I was thinking if film can adhere straight on abs plastic. I have some black parts from my cbr 1000RR that I would like to dip in carbon and I was wondering if I could straight dip them on silver carbon film or if I should prep them properly with primer and base coat.

Comments

  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    as long as they are in real good condition id say go for it!
  • jimskeetjimskeet Posts: 112Member ✭✭
    Yeah the surface is smooth with no scratches. So what you are saying is it adheres fine on the plastic parts without any paint on it?
  • brutal_1brutal_1 Posts: 386Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    jimskeet said:

    So I was thinking if film can adhere straight on abs plastic. I have some black parts from my cbr 1000RR that I would like to dip in carbon and I was wondering if I could straight dip them on silver carbon film or if I should prep them properly with primer and base coat.

    I'm not following you're question, sounds like you already answered it. Yes, you can dip straight to ABS plastic, doesn't matter what color it is. dip slow and hold the part under the water for a bit till the reaction settles down. If you mess it up, prep, prime, paint, and dip as usual.


  • jimskeetjimskeet Posts: 112Member ✭✭
    brutal_1 said:

    jimskeet said:

    So I was thinking if film can adhere straight on abs plastic. I have some black parts from my cbr 1000RR that I would like to dip in carbon and I was wondering if I could straight dip them on silver carbon film or if I should prep them properly with primer and base coat.

    I'm not following you're question, sounds like you already answered it. Yes, you can dip straight to ABS plastic, doesn't matter what color it is. dip slow and hold the part under the water for a bit till the reaction settles down. If you mess it up, prep, prime, paint, and dip as usual.


    My question is if the film adheres on bare plastic. The parts I talk about are not painted black but the plastic itself is black. So I just de-grease the plastic and dip it as usual?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    jimskeet said:

    brutal_1 said:

    jimskeet said:

    So I was thinking if film can adhere straight on abs plastic. I have some black parts from my cbr 1000RR that I would like to dip in carbon and I was wondering if I could straight dip them on silver carbon film or if I should prep them properly with primer and base coat.

    I'm not following you're question, sounds like you already answered it. Yes, you can dip straight to ABS plastic, doesn't matter what color it is. dip slow and hold the part under the water for a bit till the reaction settles down. If you mess it up, prep, prime, paint, and dip as usual.


    My question is if the film adheres on bare plastic. The parts I talk about are not painted black but the plastic itself is black. So I just de-grease the plastic and dip it as usual?
    Yes...straight to the plastic...
  • jimskeetjimskeet Posts: 112Member ✭✭
    Thanks!
  • AlanAlan Posts: 193Member ✭✭✭
    @K2Concepts So, something like a car wing mirror would likely be ABS plastic?
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    put some acitone on a corner of a rag and rub it on an area that u cant see and if it melts or gets gooey its abs!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    Alan said:

    @K2Concepts So, something like a car wing mirror would likely be ABS plastic?

    Anything that is ABS...I dip 200 to 300 parts per day and all direct to ABS...
  • SilverSilver Posts: 25Member
    Cool topic on ABS plastic, Thanks
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

    Alan said:

    @K2Concepts So, something like a car wing mirror would likely be ABS plastic?

    Anything that is ABS...I dip 200 to 300 parts per day and all direct to ABS...
    If only we could get our production parts in ABS *sigh* I guess I can dream
  • WolfBandit30WolfBandit30 Posts: 26Member
    Man this info will save me a ton of time. I can't tell ya how many black pieces I primed and repainted black to dip to. Geez. Learning stuff everyday. I love this forum .
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,763Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WolfBandit30 try @onehitwonder or @kansashydro paints no primer needed or hydrosolutions makes a waterbased 
Sign In or Register to comment.