Shop Layout

JakeSnakeJakeSnake Posts: 386Member ✭✭✭
I am rearranging thing at my shop trying to be more efficient and considering placing my pattern table right next to my tank like I saw in video of a production facility. My only concern is getting activator on the table for obvious reasons... What do you guys think; pros, cons, other suggestions...

Comments

• SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 709Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @JakeSnake , I'm with you on this one, still up in the air. When I first saw it, I thought it looked like the natural thing to do, and I'm sure it is for them, but I started to imagine all kinds of problems with the things I usually dip. Typically, I have to cut the film to less than full width and I believe it will be just as efficient and tons safer to keep my film away from the tank and activator and on the dry cutting table. It's just a matter of a few feet and unless I start some kind of production, it's not going to save significant time, but that's my operation.
    If you do move yours, I'd like to hear how it works out.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about a draw bridge table or a table on wheels.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,295Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tsunami said:

What about a draw bridge table or a table on wheels.

@ tsunami if you have the room, I have a sstaainless table on wheels but no room to move it or myself for that matter. You probably get over spray now & don't know it. I always wipe my table before putting any film on it.

No over spray John. My booth is contained. If you look for my "space saver table" video that might work well next to a tank. Just lift it up and out of the way after you drop your film.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @JakeSnake get a good fan. Problem solved
  • JakeSnakeJakeSnake Posts: 386Member ✭✭✭
    @Tsunami Thanks, I'm trying to eliminate unnecessary movements and a moving table is kinda the opposite of that... @WileECoyote ya I guess it basically comes down to proper ventilation... Think I'm gonna go for it I'll let you all know how it goes.
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    @JakeSnake
    My cutting table is about 5 feet across from my tank. I have never once had an issue..
    I'm not saying I have the best set up around but it works.. Give me a call sometime if you want to swing by and take a look at how I am set up. My shop is only 1600 SF and I could definitely use another 1600 but at least you can see what I have done. You have seen Jim's already, but might still give you a few ideas. Tomorrow however will not be a good day as Its the last day on a production run that has to be done by Sat morning..
  • JakeSnakeJakeSnake Posts: 386Member ✭✭✭
    @Sac_Hydro thanks Joe I'm going to take you up on that I'll get a hold of you next week.
  • tjagliatjaglia Posts: 36Member
    I like the pros of doing it this way, but dislike the cons.
    Now that makes sense. +1
    Tsunami said:

No over spray John. My booth is contained. If you look for my "space saver table" video that might work well next to a tank. Just lift it up and out of the way after you drop your film.

@Tsunami, I wanted to refresh my memory of your table construction but it didn't come up when I did a search. Do you recall what category you posted it in?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    Mine is 36" away from the tank...always has been and always will be...we just wipe it off with Isopropyl every morning and away we go...You guys are supposed to be dipping parts not doing cannonballs into the tank...

there should be no water problems...
    Okay, but what if you're dipping a cannon ball?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    tjaglia said:

I like the pros of doing it this way, but dislike the cons.

Sometimes, some people just put it so plainly simple, that you feel foolish for not thinking of it yourself...

Tsunami said:

@Tsunami, I wanted to refresh my memory of your table construction but it didn't come up when I did a search. Do you recall what category you posted it in?
    http://k2forums.com/discussion/1228 or just type in space saver in the search bar
    Thanks @Tsunami. I did type in "space saver table" and it only listed this discussion.

Thanks @Tsunami. I did type in "space saver table" and it only listed this discussion.

That search engine is mystifying. I typed space saver and found it bot when you type in space saver table it doesn't show it, The heading says "Space saver film table" Maybe @K2Concepts can expound on how the search engine works.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    The search engine grabbed the first 2 words..."Space Saver"...the OG thread is called "Space Saver FILM Table"...so you confused the search engine...the simpler the search? The better the results...
  • bulldoghydrobulldoghydro Posts: 67Member ✭✭
    my patter table is 3' from my tank and have had no problems with over spray. like jim says wipe it down let dry and go to work.