Custom paint charge

THC_ConceptsTHC_Concepts Posts: 355Member ✭✭✭
Would it be wrong of me to charge a $30 custom color fee for jobs under $150? The reason I ask, I was straightening up shop tonight and noticed I had 4 colors custom mixed, which on avg costs $30 for a half pint of base. Those colors all went on jobs that I charged less than $100 for and I'm stuck with $120 worth of paint that I may never use again... At the time of doing it I didn't really think anything of it, but now that I've started a collection, I figured I'd ask since it feels like I've shot myself in the foot 

Comments

• divinedragon13divinedragon13 Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    i would charge extra for paint cover cost of it
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,464Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @THC_Concepts it is your business, you have the right to not only make money, but also to not lose money. When a custom color is needed, charge the customer what it costs to do his product. If he doesn't want it dipped when he sees the price... That is his choice. Its to your benefit to keep costs down as that gets you more business, but if I can get a custom color for stock price out of you? I will take advantage of that all day!
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,295Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people want a custom color, most everyone realizes it's going to cost more that stock colors. If they don't know it tell them that. You have to charge for what you use if your going to make money.
  • THC_ConceptsTHC_Concepts Posts: 355Member ✭✭✭
    @jtaglia @WileECoyote @divinedragon13 got ya, I didn't think about it originally until yesterday and thought it was ridiculous. I have a half pint of yellow that I dipped a shift knob for and barely even used the color. Thanks for the input guys 
  • tjagliatjaglia Posts: 36Member
    jtaglia said:

When people want a custom color, most everyone realizes it's going to cost more that stock colors. If they don't know it tell them that. You have to charge for what you use if your going to make money.

Spot on.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,746Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only that, but pigments and additives can multiply over a thousand times (seriously) for what could be considered the "same" color. It can be like walking into a Ford dealership, and expecting a Ferrari - find the cost of your paint, and up charge at least a 30% premium. More importantly, expect a dip to go wrong, ans imagine what the end cost will be
  • PitbullPitbull Posts: 216Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

Not only that, but pigments and additives can multiply over a thousand times (seriously) for what could be considered the "same" color. It can be like walking into a Ford dealership, and expecting a Ferrari - find the cost of your paint, and up charge at least a 30% premium. More importantly, expect a dip to go wrong, ans imagine what the end cost will be

thats what i do for painting a bike...