Problem dipping wheel — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problem dipping wheel

flexicoatingsflexicoatings Posts: 5Member
Hello

We had today a problem with dipping a wheel.
We tried it 2 times. First time +- 40 degree angle, second time a bit more and feed more pattern.

Base color is powdercoated and scuffed up. Also not fully cured.

I think it is little bit under activated and maybe I must feed more in pattern??

Thanks! Greetz from Belgium.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @flexicoatings That wheel is gonna be difficult no matter what, The film has a point where it can't stretch anymore, it will never wrap around all those spokes.
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,142Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was gona sat the same thing! but wasnt sure if I was right! gusse I need to trust my gut!!
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 829Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    With a spoke pattern like on those you might want to back tape the whole inside of them, make holes in each (for air to escape), then go flat in on the dip. And yes the activator is jacked lol. Not a big fan of dipping over powder coats they never seem to work well for me. Good luck!
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks a little over activated to me.
  • flexicoatingsflexicoatings Posts: 5Member
    I tried it 2 more times. Did the 4 wheels.
    But nothing successfully.

Any body an idee for the wheels?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,064Administrator El Jefe
    That pattern does not stretch well...WTP-200 if I am not mistaken...SO yea you need to be right on just for it to look good on a small part like a controller...anything with a "draw" and it's gonna fade like that. The second thing you got working against you is that the water is beating you on some of that wheel. You will have to back tape a majority of that wheel to stay ahead of the water...

You should think about picking a different pattern that stretches a little better...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

With a spoke pattern like on those you might want to back tape the whole inside of them, make holes in each (for air to escape), then go flat in on the dip. And yes the activator is jacked lol. Not a big fan of dipping over powder coats they never seem to work well for me. Good luck!

Prime Coatings makes a Aqualac specifically for dipping over E-Coat and Powder Coat. I will be taking samples to the lab for some research very soon.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,703Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    To avoid such stretch, dip the wheel from. Right to left in the tank, with the full meter of film front to back. Leave at least 4 feet of film right to left, and slowly submerge from the right side of the tank at 45 degreesand submerge, while pushing the rim towards the left. Then, just before the last section of the rim goes under, flip the front face of the rim up to the ceiling to release the air bubble
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 829Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Let me know what you find out about that @WileECoyot As they say knowledge is power.
  • jonajona Posts: 89Member
    what about deep dish wheels, any adivice on those?
  • BarbaricDesignBarbaricDesign Posts: 519Member ✭✭✭
    Rusty kicks a$$
    Thank you!
    Is there a full video
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    jona said:

Is there a full video

Here you go, hope it helps.
    edited March 2015
    Like I said.........awesome
    @3monkeyshydrodip Friday I get about 4 hours in the lab with the chemists before they leave for the afternoon for Good Friday. I will keep you guys updated.