booth lights — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

booth lights

newhydronewhydro Posts: 77Member ✭✭
Might be a stupid question but what type of bulbs are you guys running in your booth? IE daylight office? Not sure what ones are available i have 6 4ft lights. Thanks.

Comments

• jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,260Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the 8' florescent ones, more light is better
  • newhydronewhydro Posts: 77Member ✭✭
    Ya my booth came with 4' so im stuck with it.
  • SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 664Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I use the daylight with a 6500 rating. Like @jtaglia says, "more light is better". Might be our declining vision.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,950Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a little info that might help. Check your bulbs. T12 will be discontinued if they not already. T8 have a high output bulb available but you need to change the ballast to make it much brighter.
    The quick and short answer is, if your office, store, hospital or school is still being lit with T12 linear fluorescent lamps, then yes, you have likely already experienced difficulty sourcing replacement products for burned out lamps or ballasts. Even some T8 lamps have been phased out. US Congress has enacted legislation to prohibit the manufacture of these and other inefficient lighting technologies, and is calling for manufacturers to meet minimum efficiency requirements and lumens per watt for new products.

While the discontinued products may no longer be manufactured, they can still be sold until existing supplies are gone. In the meantime, consumers are likely to pay a premium for the lamps themselves, but also more in utility costs because these technologies use more energy. If you are using these lamps, it’s a great time to consider lighting efficiency projects.

WHY IS THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY REGULATING T12 LAMPS?

DOE is regulating T12 lamps and some T8 lamps, incandescent lamps, and other inefficient technologies as a method of moving energy consumers to be more efficient. The new standards for linear fluorescent lamps is based on efficacy, or ensuring that newer lighting technology offers greater lumens (light output) per watt and a higher CRI (Color Rendering Index.) In effect since July 2012, the legislation eliminates nearly all 4-foot T12 lamps, some 4-foot T8 lamps, most 8-foot T12 lamps, and almost all standard halogen PAR38, PAR30 and PAR20 lamps from the market.

T12 technology is over 80 years old. Since that time, lamps and bulbs have been developed that just work better. T8 and T5 linear fluorescents have:

lower mercury content
    longer lamp life
    better color rendering
    are 30% or more efficient than older counterparts
    REGULATION CONTINUES TO PROMOTE GREATER EFFICIENCIES

Well i just bought 4100k cool white. I was thinking of putting aluminum foil behind the bulbs to make it more reflective.  Thoughts?
  • divinedragon13divinedragon13 Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    white paint is like 85% reflective only thing be better is good reflectors .and foil behind lights give off hot spots and weird shadowing
    Post edited by divinedragon13 on
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,529Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Agreed. White paint is your best bet to reflect light. Paint your entire booth white. You won't believe the difference. I use Prime Coatings white peelable booth coating and it worked awesome. There's a discussion on here somewhere w pics.
    Definitely gonna get some whit booth coat.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,495Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @newhydro Been using T8 5000K HO bulbs in the 9 production booths we had (at my former employer) for about 10 years. 5000K seemed to be the best we found for color indexing, color matching, and defect detecting. @divinedragon13 is right, the aluminum foil reflects about 60% of the light that hits it, the white is a way better option. If you have T12 fixtures, the T8's will slide right into those fixtures, and even the HO bulbs will work with the T12 ballasts. Put the bulbs in and let them go till the ballast burns out, and replace it with the correct one.

Brutal Hydrographics is working on making the Peelable Booth Coating agailable soon. They sell it in 5's typically, but that will last your average dipper about 10 years.
    newhydro said:

Can you put a 4 bulb fixture in it to replace the other one?

jtaglia said:

newhydro said:

Can you put a 4 bulb fixture in it to replace the other one?

I forgot, there are parabolic lenses you can put on them to reflect the light everywhere. I've used them in some commercial clothing stores we did the TI on.

Yes @jtaglia it has 6 4ft 4 bulb units. @WileECoyote get on it ill buy some!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,495Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @newhydro dont have to tell me twice...
  • tjagliatjaglia Posts: 36Member
    Go towards the light.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,587Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know, we are currently testing full led panels. The cost is about the same as a flouro system, it can be dimmed, will last virtually forever, no heat output, surface mounts less than 1/4", and one controller can control over 50 units. The idea is to retrofit booths, and offer collapsible HDPE booths with explosion proof fans, for a fraction of the cost of the current steel setups.
  • divinedragon13divinedragon13 Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    nice cant wait see new stuff.love leds
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,529Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Just so you know, we are currently testing full led panels. The cost is about the same as a flouro system, it can be dimmed, will last virtually forever, no heat output, surface mounts less than 1/4", and one controller can control over 50 units. The idea is to retrofit booths, and offer collapsible HDPE booths with explosion proof fans, for a fraction of the cost of the current steel setups.

Would like to see some info on this. We were just taking about how nice it would be to have a couple more lights in the booth.
    @WileECoyote are the 5000k T8 HO (high output?) bulbs available at normal big box home stores?
    @MidOhioHydrographics You know, I never thought of that. We have a electrical supply place only a block away, makes things very easy. Grainger should carry these, or if you happen to have a supply house nearby, you can set up an account, they generally don't sell to homeowners.
    @WileECoyote help me out here while i'm out on bail from Vader. After watching some videos and comparing H/O to LED or what ever. I came up with the H/O to give you the most lumens for the dollar. Now checking between Home Depot and amazon I have came across two bulb, one H/O on amazon and the other one from Home Depot.
    This is the high Output specs;For use with electronic ballasts only. So it says.

TCLP Compliant
    Length: 48 inches
    Diameter: 1 inch
    Wattage: 32 watts
    CRI: 91
    Kelvin: 5700
    Lumens: 2950
    Pin Configuration: Bi-Pin
    Case Quantity: 30
    Hour Rating: 36,000 hours

This is from the Depot These are not listed as H/O. Specs are similar and they do not give a CRI #. so I do not know what quality of light I will get. I guess Arctic white is a color everybody knows LOL Reason I ask is the price is at least twice as much for the H/O. My home shop not an issue but my other shop needs 3-4 cases to update and brighten both floors. And at $30 ballast that can add up quick. I guess what I am asking is what factors are most important for nice bright light? Lumens, CRI, I know the H/O will give me the better, truer light. But can I expect twice as much more light to absorb the costs. Thanks again

Brightness: 2850 lumens
    Estimated yearly energy cost: $3.85 (based on 3 hours/day, 11c/kWh. costs depend on rates and use)
    Life: 27.4 years (based on 3 hours per day)
    Light appearance: 6500K (daylight)
    Energy used: 32 Watt
    Lumens per watt: 89.06
    Indoor, commercial and residential use
    Casts an arctic, white light perfect for commercial or residential general purpose use in bathrooms, laundry rooms or kitchens
    T8, bi-pin
    Fluorescent lamp with ALTO technology has reduced mercury content for an environmentally friendly alternative to standard bulbs
    Contains mercury: yes
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,587Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll get the info ready - @MidOhioHydrographics call me anytime!
    @Tsunami calculating your lumens (brightness) per watt, its 92.1 to 89.06. This is not a big enough difference for you to notice unless they are right next to each other.

CRI=Color Rendering Index, For most people the K rating is what is really the concern
    Temperature Source
    1,700 K Match flame, low pressure sodium lamps (LPS/SOX)
    1,850 K Candle flame, sunset/sunrise
    2,700–3,300 K Incandescent lamps
    3,000 K Soft (or Warm) White compact fluorescent lamps
    3,200 K Studio lamps, photofloods, etc.
    3,350 K Studio "CP" light
    4,100–4,150 K Moonlight[2]
    5,000 K Horizon daylight
    5,000 K Tubular fluorescent lamps or cool white/daylight compact fluorescent lamps (CFL)
    5,500–6,000 K Vertical daylight, electronic flash
    6,200 K Xenon short-arc lamp[3]
    6,500 K Daylight, overcast
    6,500–10,500 K LCD or CRT screen
    15,000–27,000 K Clear blue poleward sky

They will all say for electronic ballasts only, I think you are confusing and electronic ballast for a HO ballast. I dont think anyone makes solid state ballasts anymore, but if they do... no one carries them. A HO bulb will work in a non-HO ballast and the other way around too, it just wont be exactly how they recommend it.

So my advice is, put the HO bulbs in the booth with the ballasts you have now, and when they burn out, replace with the right ones. Put the Home Depot bulbs in at the shop and enjoy the cheaper price. When LED's become economical and readily available, then we will all switch over.
    Aah, a moment of clarity. Now I owe you one. Maybe some premium Northwest micro brew.
    From a real radio show here in the NW. THe Mens Room

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,220Administrator El Jefe

So my advice is, put the HO bulbs in the booth with the ballasts you have now, and when they burn out, replace with the right ones. Put the Home Depot bulbs in at the shop and enjoy the cheaper price. When LED's become economical and readily available, then we will all switch over.

And there ya go...
  • BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 84Member ✭✭✭
    LED is where it's at! I've been running them in booth since day 1 and no regrets at all. I compare all lighting to good old mother nature as my control. The sun has to have the final word on if ANY paint job looks as it should. Just my opinion,  but no bulb has been, nor will be produced that replicates the sun perfectly. I'm under construction now of my new booth and will be installing four skylights with closable horizontal blinds for that outside final call. Now having said that, the 4' LED does a pretty good job at giving an untainted, and untinted light. The chemicals that give all tube style bulbs their white appearance are exactly that, "white". OR, tinted different shades to give different lighting effects...office, cool white, kitchen, etc... Before everyone shakes their heads and says "thats not how they work" I know, it's actually really interesting technology that I'm pretty savy on, its just a good way to think in respects to my point. My point being...LED is a true, untainted light, I mean it's a pure clear. Like if air had a color, or was an entity, it would be LED. All that read this are doing 1 of 2 things right now...shaking their heads and calling me a donkey, OR laughing a bit and understand the comparison I'm trying to make. I don't have a degree in this lighting issue, these are only observations of mine. I can tell you that LED has gone way down in price since they made their first appearance years ago (kinda like the LCD TV). And for around  $25-$30 per 4' hood, pound for pound they will pay for themselves verses the cost of fluorescent bulb replacement in the literal years that they last until they burn out.
    @BryanRohr you got a website where they are that cheap? Love for you to share that because I would definitely be on that like a fat kid on cake...
    A warehouse near me just switched out their sodium lights for high bay LED fixtures. They were a little over $200 each, and I think they had around 16-20 of them. They will pay for themselves within 1.5 years, and everything after that is pure savings. Pretty crazy.
    Yea regular fixtures are pretty cheap but the explosion proof ones were still around $525 a fixture last time I checked...so that's why I was interested...we will upgrade sometime next year if that is still the case but I WOULD like to save some ducats if we could on the fixtures...
    @K2Concepts the bulbs in our fixtures are just T8's. How about LED bulbs that just go in as replacements? I think you just bypass the ballasts.
  • BryanRohrBryanRohr Posts: 84Member ✭✭✭
    @BryanRohr you got a website where they are that cheap? Love for you to share that because I would definitely be on that like a fat kid on cake...
    My local Bi-mart actually. Haven't shopped the web. And not sure to call it a pro or con but they are set up as a balast, and the lights are strips rather than replaceable bulbs. I've got the bulbs as well, but I really like the strip syle better. Sort of like the 12v 4' LED light bars on a vehicle  (super popular here).