newbie.. little bubbles in film after dip — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

newbie.. little bubbles in film after dip

lukeaulgurlukeaulgur Posts: 5Member
Hello I'm new to this whole thing. Bought a vortex dip kit and have been doing a bunch of research and watching YouTube videos. Everything I dip comes out of the water with a bunch of little bubbles in the film or the film just comes right off when I rinse... help
My water is 85-90 degrees and I dipped 2-3 hours after base coat but I'm not sure what the problem is.. maybe too much/not enough activator? Haven't had a close to perfect dip yet.. any tips? 
Trying to post a pucture

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,702Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Need more info and pics would definitely help. Film running off? Or flaking off in pieces?
  • lukeaulgurlukeaulgur Posts: 5Member
    edited March 2015
    That's the best one I've gotten.. and if it doesn't do that it slowly runs off while I'm rinsing.. any ideas?
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 811Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Needs more activator from this picture.
    The carbon fiber turned out better but it faded when I rinsed it and it came off of the edges a little..
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,702Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    First pics are under activated like Kansas said. Jagged edges holes all Over the piece are signs of under activation. Second looks like you trapped an air bubble, and on the edges the water beat you. Back taping will help that. It's All in your technique. Just need more practice!
    Back taping? Does that mean taping the ends so water doesn't flow through it?
    But thanks I'll post more pictures as I go!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Back taping? Does that mean taping the ends so water doesn't flow through it?

it means using tape to "extend" the surface being dipped, so the water doesn't rush over the edge and cause a stretch.
    Yep. What he said. Go to the K2 Videos section and watch them all (pretty sure there's a video on back taping). Lots off good info there. Sometimes it's easier to see something than just read about how to do it.