Has anyone made a mobile dipping setup? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone made a mobile dipping setup?

ejmax1ejmax1 Posts: 17Member
I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted this. I wouldnt see why it couldnt work. Just wondering, as I attend shows and events around me and some last a few days. Just wanting to hear some thoughts... =)

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    First thing that comes to mind? I see fumes giving you lots of issues. Not sure I would like a booth next to a guy spraying activator all day. If that settles on something painted or some plastics, it can ruin it.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,564Administrator El Jefe
    You would have to have a charcoal filtration set up...and those can be expensive...but yea it could be done...but then again you would be working your weekends...and you would have to get products out in 2 days or less? I think working a booth and handing out cards would be easier...
  • ejmax1ejmax1 Posts: 17Member
    This is true and i agree @K2Concepts and @MidOhioHydrographics; and your probably right but if I'm at a week long event it cold be worth it but who knows. As far as booth Mid Ohio i would have a dedicated trailer for the whole setup and split it in half. put a wall with a door between them....as far as the 2 day product turn around you proved thats possible Jim with the OHW painted, flipped and dipped video lol B) not that i would want to do that but when push comes to shove and your there why not
    I will probably attend your class sooner than later.. @K2Concepts
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Ahhhh../ a trailer setup. That might work. And if you're efficient? You can get them out in a day. Get some IR curing lamps. Today we are running 112 pair of pistol grips and 60 carbines (4 pieces each). And they will be cleared, cured, and boxed/bagged by the end of the day.
    ejmax1 said:

This is true and i agree @K2Concepts and @MidOhioHydrographics; and your probably right but if I'm at a week long event it cold be worth it but who knows. As far as booth Mid Ohio i would have a dedicated trailer for the whole setup and split it in half. put a wall with a door between them....as far as the 2 day product turn around you proved thats possible Jim with the OHW painted, flipped and dipped video lol B) not that i would want to do that but when push comes to shove and your there why not

Oh it CAN be done...but you will also note that in that video? My question was "Why?"...there are so many things that can go wrong? Why tempt fate? It's one thing to have a production run where you are familiar with your products and you work out the kinks...it's quite another to have just any random objects show up at your tent and expect you to turn them around in 2 days or less...because I guarantee something is going to go wrong and now what? You gotta mail it to them and the customer is pissed off and doesn't want to pay for shipping or worse? Wants to back charge you for anything he is missing out on like work or a event he was supposed to be at with his Glock...or something stupid like that?...

And besides all that? I hate working weekends...I've done it when I was younger...I like my weekends off with my family...
    Oh it CAN be done...but you will also note that in that video? My question was "Why?"...there are so many things that can go wrong? Why tempt fate? It's one thing to have a production run where you are familiar with your products and you work out the kinks...it's quite another to have just any random objects show up at your tent and expect you to turn them around in 2 days or less...because I guarantee something is going to go wrong and now what? You gotta mail it to them and the customer is pissed off and doesn't want to pay for shipping or worse? Wants to back charge you for anything he is missing out on like work or a event he was supposed to be at with his Glock...or something stupid like that?...

And besides all that? I hate working weekends...I've done it when I was younger...I like my weekends off with my family...

Right and you guys are the experts im still small time lol...i appreciate all your guys input thought i was just curious as i have a 30ft box trailer, that i was going to mock up and see how well it would work but you both have made great points

• divinedragon13divinedragon13 Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    if i was going do a booth i'd dip common items to show my work and sell..
    @divinedragon13 thats not a bad idea...dip a couple welding masks, and stuff like that
    Yeah I'm w Jim. Sounds like a hassle. But maybe that's your niche?
  • BarbaricDesignBarbaricDesign Posts: 519Member ✭✭✭

I thought you meant like this..
    edited March 2015
    what i planed on doing when i get set up few show sell item that i can dip easy get my name out there.here list i was going do
    hard hats,welding helmets,speed shapes.ash trays.shot glass,toilet seats,ar grips.10/22 stocks,and if did few car show id bring few car parts.. but my goal be getting order in and my name out everything have name/logo on it..hope it helps

• jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,271Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wanted to go that way, dip a bunch of speed shapes bring them to the event. Show off your work, take orders. If people think you can blast them out that fast, they may think it should be a lot less $ also.
  • PitbullPitbull Posts: 216Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    jtaglia said:

If you wanted to go that way, dip a bunch of speed shapes bring them to the event. Show off your work, take orders. If people think you can blast them out that fast, they may think it should be a lot less $ also.

This is so the truth !!!!
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 265Member ✭✭✭
    I would do samples like others have mentioned, speed shape, and a few other types of samples (valve cover ATV parts skulls etc) and a video to show the process. I have use a laptop and portable DVD players at shows. Make a slide show with things you dipped and pattern swatches. Several companies have a film book. They are expensive but worth it. Don't forget to show the whole process. I have people say why does it cost so much? Its easy to dip I saw the videos on youtube you just stick the gun in the water LOL.

what i planed on doing when i get set up few show sell item that i can dip easy get my name out there.here list i was going do
    hard hats,welding helmets,speed shapes.ash trays.shot glass,toilet seats,ar grips.10/22 stocks,and if did few car show id bring few car parts.. but my goal be getting order in and my name out everything have name/logo on it..hope it helps

...toilet seats i think is what grabbed my attention the most there lol
    alot guys grab dipped seat lol just for that cool factor
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,089Member ✭✭✭
    Thats awesome give a new meaning to "The Throne"
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,271Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 788Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Lol that thing "ain't worth a s@@t " but looks nice bro good work. Sorry Master Jim but I couldn't resist. Lol
    @K2Concepts Why would you need a Charcoal Filtration setup?? just wondering
    ejmax1 said:

When you are shooting clear? You are dispersing isocyanates and other known carcinogens into the atmosphere. Normally the city has zones where they permit you to operate...and your exhaust is diluted. But in that close of a proximity to crowds? I doubt they would be so lenient...and without a charcoal filter set up? You are going to be stinking up the neighborhood for sure...besides the carcinogens...

ejmax1 said:

When you are shooting clear? You are dispersing isocyanates and other known carcinogens into the atmosphere. Normally the city has zones where they permit you to operate...and your exhaust is diluted. But in that close of a proximity to crowds? I doubt they would be so lenient...and without a charcoal filter set up? You are going to be stinking up the neighborhood for sure...besides the carcinogens...
    Ahhh i understand now
  • gregsgregs Posts: 30Member
    well guys im new here and yes I built a mobile shop having hvac back ground I was able to get charcoal filter for spray booth and have quite a bit success doing flea markets and car shows in picking up clients
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    @ejmax1 @K2Concepts @MidOhioHydrographics
    Actually You might be looking at the idea in a wrong way, Driving a truck one of the few perks was seeing this great nation.
    Believe it or not to this day one of my most enjoyable stopovers was at a tollway stop called the Tamarack in West Virginia Up on the hill was this huge round building with nothing but live arts and crafts expo, By live I mean as you walk around the building each shop had a glass wall that you could stop and watch the artisan create anything from blown glass to musical instruments to quilts and well the list goes on and on, in front of the glass wall that artisans goods was available for sale.

For this to work though you are going to need a really pro looking setup doesn't need to be big just a really clean streamlined setup, Don't be trying to dip out of a plastic tote tub keep in mind this is going to be your potential customers first impression of you, your business and your quality. Don't try to do production out of your trailer use your trailer as a SHOW trailer

Pre-paint your mugs or what ever you want potential customers to see you work on at the show. This way the only spray you will use is your activator. You don't need to finish those pieces at the show.
    Your not actually working on production pieces what you are doing is catching customers eyes so they come over to your booth to watch you dip some items. They see you pick up a walking cane and dip it with a true fire pattern and sitting on the table in front of them is????????? ---you guessed it a finished true fire cane ready to buy and walk away with. KEY WORD "A" singular!! as in ONE you might have 50 in a box under the table but only ONE cane with the true-fire pattern is on the table beside how many other canes with other patterns but only one of each pattern is visible to the customer at a time. Same goes with your travel mugs or whatever else you want to sell one of each pattern. Trust me this works they see 10 then they say well I will come back later ... and forget to come back but they see only one if they want it they will get it before its sold!
    If you have someone that can take really good photos set up a small photo booth to take family photographs for custom travel mug orders. If you keep your items small then the mailing issue isn't going to be a problem So you can take orders for those mugs pass out business cards and start getting the attention you need. Your table sales will help cover at least some the cost of the advertising that you just did.
    edited June 2017
    @willie14228 This is not a direct answer to just your comment...it is an answer in general to anyone reading this post...

There are 2 options here...Option "A" would be a mobile set up for doing small shows and working flea markets...weekend stuff...not a bad option and personally I USE (keyword USE) to do 1 or 2 shows a year...mainly to hang out with guys in the off-road industry and drink beer...it was great for building relationships and we got a SMALL (keyword SMALL) amount or work out of the deal...but if you want to demonstrate the process? It could be a decent investment. A small tank is going to run around $3500...for a NICE stainless steel tank with a nice control panel...and double that for a nice stainless steel wash station, add on a table top paint station inside your $20,000 car hauler with your graphics ($2500 for a trailer wrap) on it. Not to mention a carbon filter set up to be legal or at least ethical towards the potential clients...A pattern table, compressor and small supply of paints and films and clear coat. Generator for electrical because the damn electrical feed pole is ALWAYS looking like a Christmas Tree disaster just waiting to catch fire and blow up...then your tables and walls to hang and display product...so I would figure in $30,000 to $40,000 just to do it right and put on the show...

That's about what most guys would need just to open a shop...oh yea...and you have to get there EARLY in the morning or the night before to set up that whole thing...and then break it down after the show...and/or spend the night at the weekend show...

Option "B"...A traveling show...Good point...and you would have to be at a point in your life where that was an attractive option...for me? No, neither my wife nor I like to travel AND work...and as enjoyable as that kind of setup might be? It's still working! Hell, I hate it when I have to stop every morning when I am on vacation with my wife and answer questions or send orders over to my drop ship companies. And I always get the stink eye from my wife like "We are SUPPOSED to be on VACATION!"...so the bottom line is most of us do not have an office staff to take care of stuff like that when we are gone...

Not to mention how much a nice travel set up would cost...probably about TWICE what I have in my NON mobile workshop is what I would guess...$100,000 is easy for a nice coach and trailer set up...and that's still probably not enough to outfit it with a small tank, rinse station and table top booth...wiring, plumbing, airlines and a compressor...not to mention some kind of "glass wall" where they could see into your trailer so you could "wow" them with your creations...I see at LEAST $50,000 in the trailer and equipment alone...Now tac on a motor coach that would pull a 20' or 24' car hauler with all your equipment...and you have a sizable investment...and tac on how much you and the ball and chain need to live? Plus gas and fees for that traveling circus? You better be doing better than selling a cane a day or an hour even...oh yea...and you have to get there EARLY in the morning or the night before to set up that whole thing...and then break it down after the show...and/or spend the night at the weekend show...same as plan "A"...

Don't get me wrong...if you are at a point in your life where you have the disposable income to afford that kind of life and you always wanted to travel the US and see what this planet is all about? Yea why not? I know there are groups of people out there that travel together and work all the large shows...they go from place to place every other week or once a month to these large shows and based upon the schedule? They are usually in a different state and a different show...some weekly...almost like a Carny if you will...Most of them love it...some hate it...

So just some things to think about...and again these are just figures from MY point of view...your experience may vary...

Personally, I would invest in my shop and spend that money on upgrades to make your shop more efficient and produce a better product...then network like a responsible business owner and the work will come to you...Most of you guys could get more work networking in places you already visit daily and don't even realize the market around you...WITHOUT leaving your chair and computer...I am talking TARGETED audiences and not some "Throw it against the wall and see what sticks" flea market audience...(and that's a HUGE hint)...

Start using your brains guys...
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Good point.... wait what @K2Concepts I thought you Californians are always on vacation 
    Didn't mean to sound like I was teaching, around here we have a lot of farm n ranch shows you would be surprised how well I do selling my Airguns at the show 
    Also we have what is considered one of the largest flea markets in the state called tradedays 
    I wouldn't want to do a travel show 

Post edited by willie14228 on
    @willie14228 Yes BUT there is a difference...you are selling PRODUCT...not services...there's a big difference...for the product? You can invest a small amount in inventory and when you sell out? You are good to go...With a service? You have to be able to duplicate your shop or service into a stand-alone mobile demonstration and hope the products you bring an appeal to the almost unpredictable customer base walking by your storefront...so now you are really selling TWO businesses...one dipping and the other one product...and if they do not sell? You are stuck with a bunch of dead inventory of product you did not intend to sell in the first place...why? Because we own a Hydrographics business and not a widget business...see how quickly we get off base here?...