Engine Rocker Covers (Valve Covers on V8)

Hi guys
Im just wondering can you hydro dip something that will get hot like valve covers? If so do you just use engine paint for the base coat then dip onto that?
Cheers

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,380Administrator El Jefe
    Almost any paint will be good to 400 degrees...your vavle covers will never get anywhere near that hot...no need for engine paint...
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,109Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jim!
  • RDSHydroRDSHydro Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭

Almost any paint will be good to 400 degrees...your vavle covers will never get anywhere near that hot...no need for engine paint...

+1
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    I dip diesel exhaust tips for a company and went through a little trial and error phase.. The paint is not the issue (I am using solvent automotive paint) The issue was the clear coat. Gloss clears yellow and blister unless you use the dreaded VHT engine paint single stage rattle can clear, and it looks pretty much like it sounds. Not terribly bad stuff but it seems to be the only high heat gloss option. So most are done in Duraclear flat (good to 600+ degrees), if only they made a gloss clear. PCL flat blistered..
    When I get a chance I am going to experiment with POR15 Glisten gloss clear that I am using on a top fuel dragster and is supposed to hold up to nitro methane fuel, the clear is some pretty nasty stuff. But does not have any published heat threshold that I can find.
  • francoisfrancois Posts: 2Member
    hi i am new in hydra dipping here in south africa . i need some advice on prep and basecoat for valve covers .if someone can give me any advice i will be so glad
  • HydroFXHydroFX Posts: 3Member
    Hi Francois,

I am also from S.A and I am in the phase of starting up my business.
    I have done a couple of stuff so far like bike covers, intake manifolds, engine covers and gun stocks.
    In what area are you based?