Air compressor explosion — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Air compressor explosion

MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,702Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
Just ran across this video on a Facebook hydrographics page. Make sure you inspect old compressors very well if you're buying used! Not even sure how well you could tell if one was rusting from the inside. Scary stuff.

Comments

• TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mine inspected every year. Mandatory. They check the wall thickness. These will rust from the inside out and, Boom
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,702Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    After seeing this I can see why it's mandatory. Don't think it is here? How do they check the wall thickness? I have an automatic drain on mine to keep moisture out, but for those that don't? Make sure you're draining it daily!
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    great safety tip. I'm going to start getting mine inspected yearly as well. Thanks
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,264Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW< that could ruin your whole day.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe
    Thank you for posting that...
  • PitbullPitbull Posts: 216Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Wow... I can honestly say I don't think I have ever thought about something like this ever happening....thanks for the heads up tho...
  • hydrotekhydrotek Posts: 15Member
    wow that is crazy many thanks for the share my compressor is brand new but i will have it checked yearly after watching that thanks hope your dad was ok
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,702Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    hydrotek said:

wow that is crazy many thanks for the share my compressor is brand new but i will have it checked yearly after watching that thanks hope your dad was ok

Wasn't my dad. Or anyone I knew. I just saw the video and decided to share. Pretty crazy though!
  • blazingcoatingsblazingcoatings Posts: 413Member ✭✭✭
    Good post. 
  • OverCoatsOverCoats Posts: 335Member ✭✭✭
    Great info. Ive been meaning to drain my tank for awhile now and this post makes me put it on the front burner. Thanks Joe
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Auto (float) drains save lives guys... but make sure to drain it to an area that is visible to you. If it stops draining, you want to know it.
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    When I was in the Air Force. We had to perform a hydro-static test on all compressor tanks once every 5 and 10 years."""DO NOT DO THIS NEXT STEP, LET SOMEONE QUALIFIED INSPECT YOUR TANK!!! Part of the detail in the tech manual was to fill the vessel with water and pressurize it with a special hand pump then once at about 5000psi strike the side of the vessel with a dead blow hammer. DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!! During my first go with this particular inspection I was in the NCO's office immediately informing him of why I was absolutely NOT going to do that! He responded with " you know I've been doing that for almost 30 years and honestly it has never occurred to me that we shouldn't do that". The tech manual was changed a year later.
  • PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro Posts: 536Member ✭✭✭
    wow, I was just contemplating this as a possibility the other day,.. scary. fortunate that kid had a good head on his shoulders, most people aren't so quick to act.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @PTC_HydroGraphX The shear stupidity of that makes me cross-eyed with disbelief... Glad you thought that through instead of going with the flow.
  • mountain_mikemountain_mike Posts: 779Member ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should give air compressor tanks an expiration date. I think it'd be wise to also build a thick walled enclosement around a compressor so at least you have some sort of barrier between it and you in case it were to explode.
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mountain_mike That's part of the reason safety guys and OSHA are adamant about compressed gas cylinders being chained up all the time. It's a good thing the poor guy in that video wasn't doing any hot work i.e. grinding, welding, at the time or there would have been some fireworks to add to the disaster.
  • 404notfound404notfound Posts: 10Member
    I had a tank blow from the bottom. Compressor was outside so no damage except to the grass. My compressor now is in a ventilated cabinet I made for it.
  • Freedom HydrographicsFreedom Hydrographics Posts: 239Member ✭✭✭
    @Tsunami  who do you contact to do the inspection of the wall?
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Freedom Hydrographics Lots of testing companies. Google your area for tank inspection services. The State of Washington does it here, if you need it or not.lol And yes @404notfound they will usually rust on the bottom first.
  • wolfdog0729wolfdog0729 Posts: 203Member ✭✭✭
    Wow. How scary.
  • wolfdog0729wolfdog0729 Posts: 203Member ✭✭✭
    I was going to buy used until I seen this
  • LAKES_HYDROPRINTLAKES_HYDROPRINT Posts: 245Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    First time i've seen one blow up, i always thought they would just split on the bottom, just went out and drained mine, no rusty water looking junk came out. so guess it's okay. THANKS FOR POSTING THE VIDEO.maybe auto drains should be built into the compressors when there built.
    @LAKES_HYDROPRINT Just comes down to cost. I have seen guys gripe about $20 when buying a $1000 compressor.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 841Member ✭✭✭
    I'm going to go and find an auto drain for my compressor after seeing this. I have it plumbed so I can easily drain it, but just don't think about doing it. Anyone have a preference on brand that works good? I buy lots of stuff from Auto Body Toolmart. I guess I can check with them. Thanks for the vid...
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe
    Auto Body Tool Mart is pretty reputable when it comes to tools...never heard anything bad about them...
  • shansingh1100shansingh1100 Posts: 16Member
    Thanks for the tip