Base coat & etching aresols I can buy from a hardware store — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Base coat & etching aresols I can buy from a hardware store

dleedlee Posts: 5Member
I am new to this site, I am a home dipper only, looking for paint & etching primer as well a activator (aresol) I can buy locally, any suggestions on what type of spray paint to but that will work with Hydro dipping?
Also, how do you know what base coat to use with what pattern of film

Comments

• jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,280Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Word to the wise if you can spend a few hundred. I dip out of my garage, I built my own tank, I have a pancake compressor that I have used in my construction business, Retired now, bought a couple of HVLP spray guns, one from K2concepts, also known as Jim. Call Jasom at OHW, he'll get you set up with aerosol paint & activator. The rest is practice. Best of luck.
  • dleedlee Posts: 5Member
    Thanks for the quick response, that's the problem, I want to buy local, I cant afford to pay the prices companies are asking. Not looking at going into business either. Just wanting to know if I can buy the etching primer & base coats off the shelf?
    Do I use water based spray paint, solvent based, enamel, acrylic?
    dlee said:

Do I use water based spray paint, solvent based, enamel, acrylic?

Call Jason One Hit Wonder, he is in Atlanta, he is GREAT! I's use solvent based. The great part about OHW is it's a all in one product. You degrease, scuff paint, dip let it dry then clear. It's so easy I can even do it. (Usually) LOL

• joey21joey21 Posts: 139Member ✭✭✭
    Ahh those were the days...I too was only going to do this for myself and was looking for the easy/cheap way to do things for myself. Let me tell ya it was some of the most frustrating days and almost to the point to were I was going to give up. I then, like you joined a forum to find out that everybody was telling me to spend the money and get the right stuff. Sure you can use rustoleum and krylon but you will have very shotty results. If you think that there might be a chance that you will ever want to do more with this then I highly suggest getting some good equipment and consumables. Just like @jtaglia I myself still dip from my garage and am still addicted to it as much as I was when I bought my first dip kit. There is a lot to learn and you found the right place! This forum has a lot of seasoned vets with a **badword** ton of knowledge. I would start off by checking out @kansashydro and @onehitwonder and last but not least @K2Concepts. They have a plethora of knowledge and all of the supplies you need!
    Please don't take any offence to this but I want you to know where most if not all of us came from!

Good Luck!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Behr Ultra paint will work and can be found locally. So will any automotive paint at a local supply shop. Stay away from Krylon and most other rattle cans if possible (unless it's OHW aerosols). They can work, but will make a difficult process even more so. Do as much reading as you can on this forum and soak it all in. Search for base coat or paint and you'll get a ton of info. Best of luck!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @jtaglia are you using your pancake compressor for shooting clear and everything!? That thing must be incredible to keep up!
    Yes, I start to spray & it comes on. I think I'll be replacing it soon. It's about 7 years old but still works great. There is something about taking care of your equipment. Are you in on my drawing? Check it out, I'm writing names down now.
    Crazy that it puts out enough CFM. You're honestly probably choking your gun and would get better results with something larger.

Thanks for the drawing! But I'm good. I renew memberships for my wife & I every year and take a lot of pride in doing so! I Will be a lifer once the bank account can take it. Hopefully my daughters too. Awesome idea for the give away though!

Crazy that it puts out enough CFM. You're honestly probably choking your gun and would get better results with something larger.

Thanks for the drawing! But I'm good. I renew memberships for my wife & I every year and take a lot of pride in doing so! I Will be a lifer once the bank account can take it. Hopefully my daughters too. Awesome idea for the give away though!

Check out their easy pay for becoming a lifer. You put $35 down on a credit card, then pay $35 every quarter until it's paid up. Never a service charge & never interest. It would be the $750 instead of the $1000. Let me know if I can help. We could do it through emails.

• Ns1185Ns1185 Posts: 37Member
    I had good results with dupli-color arousal can from autozone. ( no one kill me please!) recently switched to ohw and you can definitely see the difference
    Can you get OHW locally? Loveland, CO
    m
    dlee said:

You have to order online or by phone
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    dlee said:

You might check with @reaper06. Brett is in Fort Collins and may have some to sell you to try.
  • Mr_Gas_CanMr_Gas_Can Posts: 149Member ✭✭✭
    dlee said:

I can tell you're not going to be an easy one to please here. Want to keep it simple and local. Go to a industrial paint store that sells ppg, dupont,basf colors, etc... Buy your self a gallon of reducer, a pint of white and black and a clear coat they recommend. There yah go. LIke everyone says don't use aerosols from HD or Lowes you'll just be banging your head. Or you can go your self a kit from dip wizards or someone else who sells them and call it good. Oh yah SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,064Administrator El Jefe
    Even IF (and that's a big "IF") you were to get the local spray paints to work? You cannot buy activator LOCALLY in a aerosol form...you will have to order from OHW or from Vortex Dip Kits...both are forum sponsors and will help you out...
    Trust all of us. Buy OHW, good paint is expensive, I did rattle cans in the beginning & OMG what a difference with OHW. It's like night & day. Other than that, Kerry & Jason are a pleasure to deal with.
  • divinedragon13divinedragon13 Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    owh great i used some paint my motocycle with love it going get water based paint just play around with on small stuff time behind gun and practice mix colors with..alot people use Behr Ultra paint if remember right jim did before going one hit wonder..watch ebay cragslist for guns got both my seta for 100 bucks each in good shape
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your just playing around with light switches or speed shapes I found a paint at lowes from Valspar that sticks to plastic very well and you can dip to it. If you start doing customer projects get OHW ,Prime Coatings, and Kansas Hydro paint. It for the industry.
    Kathy, my other half went out last night after going out to dinner & looked at a new compressor. I'm thinking she just may buy me one for valentines day. Heck, I bought her a new motorcycle jacket, flowers & taking her out to dinner. LOL She's such a sweetheart.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @jtaglia You are getting the better end of the deal...
    Well, I tried the whole dupli color thing, and there etching primer, didn't work out for me very well, when I went to take the tape off, it tore down to the original plastic....lesson learned
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,064Administrator El Jefe
    And there you go...
  • bmxprojectbmxproject Posts: 279Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Put the tape on your clothes before taping off item. It will dull the adhesive on the tape.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,185Member, Moderator El Moderator
    dlee said:

No, but to be brutally honest, if you can't afford proper paint, this isn't the hobby for you. To get good, "consistent" dips, you have to spend money on proper materials and tools. This is not the hobby for those thin of wallet.

A decent "hobby" setup will run over $5k easily. Professional? $30-50k.

I'm not trying to crap on your dreams here, but I have seen too many people come through here with dreams of "I saw it on Youtube...I can do that!" and it's just not like that in reality.