Need help

So this is my first post here even tho I've been a member for a couple months now.. A little back ground for myself I'm in the NW florida area I've been painting for about eight years and I've been following the hydro -dipping community for a couple years now but only been dipping for a few months.... And I am in the process of gathering all the info I can to start my own business the only problem I have ran into so far is draining my tank I've talked to EPA....D.E.P.. Both I talked to didn't seem to have an idea of what I was talking about and I spoke to two different water/sewer facility's in my area and both said they could not accept the waste after reviewing the activator msds.... So my question is can anyone send me in the right direction to figure this out or is there an official ruling that will help me with the sewer facility's... I would just hate to invest the money and then get shut down to being fined.... Sorry for the book I hope that someone can help me out 

Comments

• airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    don't say nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rga_designsrga_designs Posts: 9Member
    Personally I would prefer to not go that way to cover my own **badword**... If ever inspected I think it would be a little hard to convince someone that the tank of green water is just water...... 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,350Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I told the guys it's maintained like a pool.... :smiley: People have had their water tested and it came back that the water is no worse than water in a swamp. The large company I trained with in TX ran theirs right outside into the storm drain. Not telling you to do the same, just sharing experiences. Let us know if you find out anything else.
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
     @MidOhioHydrographics thanks for the input I will post on here if I am able to find anything else out 
  • UndercoverCoatingsUndercoverCoatings Posts: 558Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭

Personally I would prefer to not go that way to cover my own **badword**... If ever inspected I think it would be a little hard to convince someone that the tank of green water is just water...... 

Add some bleach ;)
    Lol yea that's what I've herd I plan on doing that once I get my new tank built at the moment I drain into the yard but I'm not making any money off what I dip or at least very little from friends ect. But I'm sure once you are out in the open and making money ppl are watching you a little bit harder 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,311Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Use thlee search bar to look up tags like "waste water" and "draining". Lots of discussions on this topic, in the end, you need to decide how much research and effort you want to put in to this and feel comfortable
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just my way. Don't fix whats not broken. When you get the municipalities involved they will find something broken. It their job to do that. And every time they do that it will cost you money.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,350Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Tsunami said:

This is just my way. Don't fix whats not broken. When you get the municipalities involved they will find something broken. It their job to do that. And every time they do that it will cost you money.

I always get the feeling that they have to justify the existence of their job...
    @WileECoyote ;I had searched draining and there wasn't a whole lot I didn't think about searching waste water so I will do that and I've been reaserching everything I can for the past two months it's just hard to find anything because as said in another post I seen its not a regulated trade and as far as I can tell 90% of people have no clue what it is so talking to people outside the trade for answer is even harder And I do get what your saying @Tsunami ;but I would rather them find something broken before I open up shop then open up shop and then them find it...that could break my buisness before it even starts 
    Has anyone had any luck finding the article that Jim spoke of about dry cleaners being worse then tank water? 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,264Administrator El Jefe
    That was a quote from a EPA agent...I don't think it was ever put into writing...
  • JakeSnakeJakeSnake Posts: 386Member ✭✭✭
    I have a friend that has owned a paint and body shop in CA for several years he has been inspected many times and they tell him to dispose of waste water in the toilet because it gets treated; like when he mops the shop or spills paint and cleans it up that water is really contaminated. To me this seams like the most comparable scenario to what we deal w/ as Dippers...
    @K2Concepts well that will explain not finding it thank you Jim 
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can still educate your self on what's in your water and have a contingent plan if the topic comes up. The agencies like that.
    @Tsunami ;Lol well as I'm a little hard headed and set on making this work And opening a shop I'm considering having my water tested so if the moment comes I will be prepared with the facts on what's in my tank 
    JakeSnake said:

I have a friend that has owned a paint and body shop in CA for several years he has been inspected many times and they tell him to dispose of waste water in the toilet because it gets treated; like when he mops the shop or spills paint and cleans it up that water is really contaminated. To me this seams like the most comparable scenario to what we deal w/ as Dippers...

Not familiar w city water codes, but doesn't the sink and toilet drain to the same main sewer line? :confused: Guess I never thought otherwise, butI honestly have no idea!
    @MidOhioHydrographics yea they all tie together and go to the same place 
    I thought so, but the only plumbing work I have done is in my rural house and thought maybe city lines were different.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,287Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything goes into the same sewer pipe. I would think that Calif. would have stricter rules on everything, even the amount of gas you release from a fart. LOL
    Like a wise man once told me? "When you go waving your arms around for attention? Odds are the attention you attract is NOT going to be the attention you want"...
  • UndercoverCoatingsUndercoverCoatings Posts: 558Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    jtaglia said:

Everything goes into the same sewer pipe.

Not always true. Some areas have separate storm drain systems and sewer systems.
    edited February 2015

jtaglia said:

Not always true. Some areas have separate storm drain systems and sewer systems.
    Yeah storm drains are different. Just for weather run off. I was more referring to stuff coming from inside a building. Sinks, toilets, floor drains.

Edit: that should all say "I Think". I'm not positive about that.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,311Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @K2Concepts you MUST be talking about someone else...

jtaglia said:

Yeah storm drains are different. Just for weather run off. I was more referring to stuff coming from inside a building. Sinks, toilets, floor drains.

Edit: that should all say "I Think". I'm not positive about that.
    You are correct...when it comes out of your house (or business) it all goes into the same place...

Storm drains are a completely different subject...
  • sky_graphssky_graphs Posts: 2Member

What are you putting in the water to make it green???
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,844Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

I really wanna make a snarky remark about Jims mom.. but.. this guy is new (his first post).. even if it is in a thread over 3 years old.

@sky_graphs.. what happens to all water when it sets around long enough... stuff starts to grow in it. Then heat the water up as well? Swamp in the making...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,242Member, Moderator El Moderator

90 degree water grows algae pretty quickly...