Frozen — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frozen

MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,079Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
Guess this comes with the territory when using water based paints during Ohio winters. We were waiting on UPS to deliver this so we could finish up some Country Girl work. Their trucks are obviously not heated well. Once it arrived we had to sit a mixing cup in front of a space heater so it would thaw out. Sucked.

Comments

• RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That does suck.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just throw some xylene in it, you'll be ok
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,079Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Xylene in water based Aqualac? It thawed fine overnight. No issues now.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was joking, don't do that **badword**, lol
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,124Member ✭✭✭✭
    id call them and send them a pic of how much it froze before you use it! cause water based coating don't work to good once frozen!!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,079Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Whew... Was really wondering, Smitty... Had me thinking. Just thought you missed the water based part or something! Lol.

From what I can tell from my limited experience, The paint worked fine actually, apart from a few boogers in it from leaving it under the radiant heat overnight. The paint on the inner part of the lid just dried. Maybe the paint will just melt off the parts in a week? :confused:
    well from experience ive had paint freeze and used it anyways "boss said to" and I didn't want to use it but! and it didn't hold out to good on the cabinets I painted. now im not a paint tech just a house painter for 28 years but im pretty sure that when paint frezes it looses the binders that hold the pigments in place and to substrate . now im sure it will still dry and stick to whatever but I would worry bout the long term hold out on the project!
    Well that may very well be an issue! :confounded: I will email a picture to Prime Coatings and see what I should do. Thanks @airtimegrafix‌. I'll let you know what they say.
    I might b wrong but? maybe they have different chemical make up in there paints! but better safe than sorry
    Yeah I shot Terry Welch an email. We shall see. Really hoping there is no issue because the gallon is half gone already.....
  • brutal_1brutal_1 Posts: 386Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Typically Prime Coatings won't ship Aqualac after Thursday afternoons for this very reason. We will be practicing the same shipping schedule.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe the paint might look good but your adhesion might be what will fail. Good luck
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,944Administrator El Jefe

well from experience ive had paint freeze and used it anyways "boss said to" and I didn't want to use it but! and it didn't hold out to good on the cabinets I painted. now im not a paint tech just a house painter for 28 years but im pretty sure that when paint frezes it looses the binders that hold the pigments in place and to substrate . now im sure it will still dry and stick to whatever but I would worry bout the long term hold out on the project!

Bingo...
    brutal_1 said:

Typically Prime Coatings won't ship Aqualac after Thursday afternoons for this very reason. We will be practicing the same shipping schedule.

Unfortunately I don't think Liquid Print is as picky. But still, I ordered it on Monday 1/6/15, they shipped Tuesday 1/7/15. It was originally scheduled to be delivered on Monday 1/12, but actually came on 1/13. So who knows how many nights it sat outside in the UPS truck.

I'll let you know what Terry comes back with. Thanks for all the help guys.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,944Administrator El Jefe
    Yea even Prime Coatings will tell you that they will NOT ship product unless it is guaranteed to not sit EVER during the shipping...
  • brutal_1brutal_1 Posts: 386Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

brutal_1 said:

Unfortunately I don't think Liquid Print is as picky. But still, I ordered it on Monday 1/6/15, they shipped Tuesday 1/7/15. It was originally scheduled to be delivered on Monday 1/12, but actually came on 1/13. So who knows how many nights it sat outside in the UPS truck.

I'll let you know what Terry comes back with. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Hopefully in a week or two, you won't have to order from Liquid Print anymore..... ;)
    Yeah hopefully!! Actually I Just needed a gallon to get by for a couple weeks. Very soon I will be placing an order direct from Prime Coatings for 30/55gal drums. As sketchy as it is, the rest of that gallon will probably be gone tomorrow. Terry said: "If it freezes completely , it turns in to a cottage cheese-looking substance and will not spray. It should be OK. Good luck!". Not the overwhelming confidence I had hoped for, but I'm going for it.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,679Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    do some adhesion tests asap - freezing wb paint can critically alter its properties
    I will do some adhesions tests tomorrow. Thanks guys!
    edited January 2015
    Used the rest of the gallon yesterday and think I got lucky. Did a cross hatch test on both substrates (polypropylene and e-coated metal) with no issue. Tried white masking, clear packing, and gorilla tape and nothing pulled off. Feeling Very relieved. Will definitely be more careful when ordering. Thanks for all the help and advice!
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go buy a lottery ticket. You a lucky man.