Newbie. Lining up Patterns. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie. Lining up Patterns.

ColinColin Posts: 10Member
Hello everyone, Im new to the forum and to the hydrographics.
Im from N,Ireland and trying to start a hydrographic business, I have a background in body repair so I have know problem with the prep and painting but as I have only being dipping for about 4 months and Im learning alot and having fun doing it.
Im working at a motorbike helmet at the moment, Im dipping it in pearl carbon with black base and Im wondering if there is an easy way to line up the carbon or getting it to run the correct way on both sides, its getting dipped with carbon on the sides and stickerbomd in the middle, its my first helmet and i havent had time to practice on an old one so i have made a little mistake, I have the carbon running in different directions, HELP , any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Best bet @Colin‌ is planning it in the beginning. Use a feature of the helmet to "line up" with some feature of the pattern (grain or a natural break in the look) other than that... close enough is close enough.
  • ColinColin Posts: 10Member
    Thanks Coyote Im going to try marking the top side of my pattern and dip the first side with the topside farthest away from me in the tank then turn the next pattern around so that the topside is actually closest to me in the tank and dip the second side or am I just making things difficult for myself. I wish I could put up a photo but I dont know how on this site, Im not good with computers. Cheers.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Colin‌ You are exactly right. Sometimes you have to flip the pattern different ways to get it to line up right, or you end up turning your part in a way that is uncomfortable to dip. Gotta keep that stuff in mind when you are setting up the dip, by the time the film is on the water, its go time.

If you look in the icons above the text window you are writing in, there is one that looks like a dog eared page. that is the attach file icon. Click on it and you can search the folders on your computer or phone to attach a pic that is saved there.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You will have to turn it 90 deg. Either the part or the film. Flipping carbon fiber 180deg doesn't change the direction. Jim @K2Concepts‌ has a video somewhere about doing it.
  • submergeddesignssubmergeddesigns Posts: 53Member ✭✭
  • ColinColin Posts: 10Member
    Yes Jim I've got it, I dipped both sides again and tried the same as I did with wing mirrors 90 deg to each other and bingo its perfect. I cant wait until I can dip a helmet in one go, Im ok with small helmets like hard hats but this double dip technique will do well for now.
    Cheers guys its really great to have this forum for support cause Im on my own here, no one even knows what hydrographics is around here.
    Jim I feel Like I already know you cause I.ve watched so many of your videos on youtube, your videos inspired me to try this out and I love it, I just hope I can make a business out of it.
    Cheers all n Goodluck