Hydro Dipping Glass — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hydro Dipping Glass

Huff1515Huff1515 Posts: 4Member
I am wondering if anyone else has had success with dipping glass without primer or base paint and if so what have you used. I have customers wanting our American Flag film on mason jars but want it clear so they can put candles in them. Really need advice and help because I am not having luck so far.

Comments

• cparkscparks Posts: 398Member ✭✭✭
    Use an inter clear..
  • JakeSnakeJakeSnake Posts: 386Member ✭✭✭
    I have used clear coat before... check out the search bar upper right hand corner... very helpful!
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,086Member ✭✭✭✭
    im sure there's a section in the new members welcome that says use the fn search bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Huff1515Huff1515 Posts: 4Member
    @airtimegrafix I did use the search bar and nothing came up in the category and method I am asking so please do not talk to me like I am an idiot because I am educated and computer and forum smart. and to everyone else thank you for the advice
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,552Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Go here and get some modified ordered. Then give the jars a light blast or scuff with 400, apply the inter coat, dip, clear. http://www.ohwpaint.com/shop/4580530612/intercoat-clear/8579115
    didn't to mean to b a d@#k but this page gets people that just come on here and there first post ask how to do this and how to do that! and don't even know how to hold a spray gun let alone use it tryin to open shop with no knowledge of anything related to paint ect doing shotty work ......not even a hey im "who ever" and im really into this stuff ive got a couple of things im having trouble with maybe you guys could shed some light on my problem! you need to practice more on paint and all the different things certain paints do! now once again not being a d!#k but how long have you been doing this trade? do you have any experience in custom paint ect. cause it sounds like your promising things you cant deliver to someone! now for your answer its called intercoat its a clear base just no pigments mixes just like a base coat .. so just scuff the glass with a red scotch brite pad and base it dip it clear it! I use hok intercoat sg 100 or 150 hok "house of kolor"
    actually u should media blast the glass to get a better profile for the base to stick!
    oh forgot about the ap "adhesion promoter" that needs to b applied before base coat!
  • Huff1515Huff1515 Posts: 4Member
    @airtimegrafix thank you and I am sorry for being a D*ck too. I do know what I am doing I have custom paint experience pushing 15 yrs now BUT hydrographics is newer to myself and my business partner. We do spray-on chroming and have the hydrographics down pretty well granted I am no where near saying im an expert def far from it but we have a full blown business and are steady with clients. The reason I asked about glass is because of 2 things my wife wants to sell candles and all that scented crap out of them as well as having a large amount of clients asking for wine glasses and mason jars but they want the transparent look with the film. Thank you very much for the info and advice and yes I was wrong to join the forum and go straight to an issue with not so much as an introduction or history of myself so I apologize to all.
    hey no worries!!! no offence taken! u cant hurt my feelings cause I aint got any!! lol!! now that the air is cleared welcome aboard!
    as for spray chrome talk to tsunami he sells superchrome!
  • BeccaBecca Posts: 65Member ✭✭
    actually u should media blast the glass to get a better profile for the base to stick!

Hi, my name is Becky and I am fascinated with dipping. It is amazing and seems like beautiful magic. I do not do it professionally or for anyone but myself as a hobby (zero, zilch, nada in experience). I am a teacher, so that should tell you how little I know about this; I am eager to learn. I spent most of the day yesterday reading stuff on the internet and this forum is the most informative over my topic. I had success dipping my kydex holster and a plastic cup for ritas. The next thing I attempted to do is cover my glass mason jars, but of course this was disastrous! I scuffed with sandpaper, used an etching primer, & then paint. After the dip and before the rinse it all started to bubble...technique 1down. Finally, my question...I read the above advice and would like to know if the media blast is a necessary step. Since I am no where near pro-status and only do this as a hobby, I do not have those types of tools. Do you think I can get away with scuffing the glass and then following your other steps? This is my first time on any forum, so I hope I followed proper etiquette. I appreciate any tips shared to help a dabbling dipper.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Becca any way you can abrade the surface will give the base coat something to bite too. 500 grit sandpaper or a coarse Scotchbrite will do it. you just need to get something for the paint to bite into. The more scuffed the better.
    @WileECoyote thank you and I will definitely give that a try! I only scuffed it with 180 last time before the primer
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,264Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use One Hit Wonder, also called OHW for your primer & base coat all rolled into one.
  • tlb71tlb71 Posts: 433Member ✭✭✭
    glass vase with OHW WHITE!!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Becca said:

@WileECoyote thank you and I will definitely give that a try! I only scuffed it with 180 last time before the primer

It is hard to leave scratches that you can't fill on glass, but there isn't much use in the shop for anything courser then 500 grit. We have been at this for a few years, and we commonly only have 500, 1000, and 2500 in stock for general purpose sanding. We have 2 types of Scotchbrite pads we keep, medium and very fine. This will cover 95% of your needs from day to day.
    I used some seriously coarse stuff then :\ look at me being too aggressive. One cup was "rolled" (believe that's the term) with a different paint and it came out nice without any peeling or bubbling. I'm going to try better paint as well next time. Thanks for everyone being so kind with tips!
    Becca said:

I used some seriously coarse stuff then :\ look at me being too aggressive. One cup was "rolled" (believe that's the term) with a different paint and it came out nice without any peeling or bubbling. I'm going to try better paint as well next time. Thanks for everyone being so kind with tips!

Like I said, on glass you will be fine, on some plastic? You are gonna be learning how to bondo too...
  • divinedragon13divinedragon13 Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    now i know i'm going have practice my bondo skill for future

Becca said:

Like I said, on glass you will be fine, on some plastic? You are gonna be learning how to bondo too...
    Thankfully, I love to learn! Thanks for letting me know...I'll start studying up on that next before the need happens.

• divinedragon13divinedragon13 Posts: 204Member ✭✭✭
    Ya not as easy as make it look on TV lol 
    tlb71 said:

glass vase with OHW WHITE!!

I'm digging that!
  • LittleDipperLittleDipper Posts: 52Member
    Glass would be very cool to act as a tint, could match the windows to everything else.