A few duracoat questions — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few duracoat questions

bpot4bpot4 Posts: 176Member ✭✭
I'm looking to start using duracoat to dip to and also just as an option to customize firearms. I apologize for my ignorance on duracoat but I have spent quite a bit of time researching the paint and these are the questions I haven't found or weren't clear for me.

When using duracoat paint on a firearm do you use a clear coat or just paint and your done.

When dipping to duracoat can you use any clear coat or do you have to use theirs?

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    Glockworks would be the guy to ask...extremely knowledgeable in that product I believe...
  • bpot4bpot4 Posts: 176Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jim, hopefully he will see this.
  • ParadiseHydrographixParadiseHydrographix Posts: 180Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    OK, lets try this again! LOL! Yes, ya need a good clear with duracoat! I use cerakote! durakote also makes a good "sealer" just for us hydrographic guys!!! good stuff! I just really like the simplicity and durability of cerakote! and no waste since its a shake, pour, spray kinda deal!!! very cool!
  • MasterjqxMasterjqx Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭
    i have used the sealer, good stuff!
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Brian,
    Can you go over the Cerakote procedure and what equipment is needed?
    I will make a new thread asking the question so I don't hijack this one..
  • ParadiseHydrographixParadiseHydrographix Posts: 180Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I just spoke with those guys last week, I have only used they're clears! one major misunderstanding guys have about cerakote is about the baking of it??!!! or how to bake it??? cerakote clear is not a bake clear!!!!!! I repeat!!!! it is "NOT" a bake clear!!!LOL!!! they actually will warn you to not let it sit in a too warm of a environment for optimal results. the guy I spoke with did say they are looking into a bake formula but it is not near.
    all you need is a good gun. I love my Warwick 904 and mini. I use the mini for duracoat and I have a gun designated for nothing but clears and I clean it after every single use.
    OH!!! also! one big mistake guys make is they are soaking they're parts in it! I just lay down 2 "light" coats and its done!!
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    bpot4 said:

I'm looking to start using duracoat to dip to and also just as an option to customize firearms. I apologize for my ignorance on duracoat but I have spent quite a bit of time researching the paint and these are the questions I haven't found or weren't clear for me.

When using duracoat paint on a firearm do you use a clear coat or just paint and your done.

When dipping to duracoat can you use any clear coat or do you have to use theirs?

If you are just going to spray Duracoat, and not dip, it is not necessary to clear over it.

Duracoat's official stance regarding clear coat when using Durcaoat as a base for hydrographics is:
    "DuraClear Sealant was designed specifically for hydrographics. We do have customers that use DuraCoat Clear instead and have good results but DuraClear Sealant is the best option. You do not need to use both clears, just one or the other. We do not recommend using any other clear inconjuction with DuraCoat since they may not be compatible."

However, I, as well as others here, have used other clears like Cerakote without issues.
    Excellent information here guys!!! I'm wanting to try and use the PCL 26 flat clear over it just because of the durability and how dead flat the clear is. I will try it and see how it works and if not I can use the cerakote clear. Thanks Guys!!!
  • ShafferShaffer Posts: 196Member ✭✭✭
    Just a couple things I want to note. PCL 26 works fine over a DuraCoat based hydrographic. With that being said, I use DuraCoat clears instead of the sealer because I don't like the way the sealer sprays. The DuraCoat clears lay down so much better out of my mini HVLP. Obviously, that is probably something to do with the guy behind the gun, but that's just my personal opinion. I did my carry Glock with MultiCam over DC, then DC Flat and love it and I carry it EVERY day.
  • blackbeardblackbeard Posts: 169Member ✭✭
    What colour did you use for your base? I will be doing some of my own firearms in Multicam and have seen most use tan and in one video Jim used white which made it pop full of colour.
  • ShafferShaffer Posts: 196Member ✭✭✭
    Woodland Tan....
  • blackbeardblackbeard Posts: 169Member ✭✭
    Looks great thanks
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    Great thread...
  • NashWorksNashWorks Posts: 24Member ✭✭
    First, I pretty much only use DC on firearms. Anything else, I use OHW. If you are spraying DC and not dipping, no clear is needed. You can actually manipulate the sheen of the DC with the amount of hardener you use. If a customer is holstering their gun, I will spray DC Satin and apply extra layers around the wear points near the muzzle on the slide. I will occasionally spray one of their Tactical colors and use their Satin for a very nice finish.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    Brody, I've taken PCL to Duracoat and it didnt have the same effect it does with paint... It almost ended up looking like it had a finish on it... kinda hard to explain but it didnt look cured almost... I use PCL with everything else... But not Duracoat
    What clear do you use with it Steve?
  • gunsfxgunsfx Posts: 47Member
    Ok guys let me ask this? What's the dry time needed on the DC before it can be dipped?
    My personal opinion is you can't dip to it too soon. I have walked parts out of the booth, cut my film and started dipping immediately. It will be softer after the dip when working that quick, so care should be taken not to bump it into anything.
    What's the dipping window on DC? I have only tried it once and it wouldn't stick. So I'm wondering if it was to soon or if I waited to long.
    Duracoat told me 15minutes. I have waited longer but YMMV.
    Remember weather and ambient conditions will change cure times.
    I'm gonna give it a try thanks.
  • Bulzi60Bulzi60 Posts: 40Member
    Is there a particular dealer you guys use to get your supplies from?
    Thanks 
    I get it straight from Lauer Weaponry.
  • HalfDippedHalfDipped Posts: 53Member
    Thank you for the excellent information on dura coat. this thread answered a great number of my questions.
  • BIGGAME510BIGGAME510 Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    share that glock looks sweet and since its every day carry hows it holding up?
    Post edited by BIGGAME510 on
  • h2kh2k Posts: 61Member
    Great information! I was just looking into DC and cerakote...
  • DGoodsonDGoodson Posts: 1Member
    Greetings, Gentlemen. I am attempting my first hydrodip and I think I've learned from here that I should have already dipped my duracoated shotgun. I applied a base layer yesterday. The film I am using is a snow camo pattern so I used a can of extra white shake n spray. (It did not apply nearly as well as when I did a shotgun a couple of years ago using the airbrush.) So what should I do now that my duracoat has been on for over 24hrs? 15 min seems awful quick to dip something into water. :(