Rims Hydrographics over powder coat — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rims Hydrographics over powder coat

Ultimate_FinishesUltimate_Finishes Posts: 131Member ✭✭✭
Hey guys this is my first shot doing rims with powder coat... The process went smoothly and took about 4 hr work time, not including sand blasting. I had some waiting time for the gold base to cool before I dipped but that just left time to cut my materal and clean up. Definitely heading in this direction for metal jobs.

Comments

• RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Very good looking work. Nice job
  • Ultimate_FinishesUltimate_Finishes Posts: 131Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks wish I could do hard hats in powder...lol
  • JakeSnakeJakeSnake Posts: 386Member ✭✭✭
    Sick! man that looks clean... didn't know you could do that...
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an excellent hit. Nice consistency of paint.
    Me like. Me like very much. Sorry, just ordered some film from China. LOL
  • WatermarkWatermark Posts: 124Member ✭✭
    Very nice Hits. Clean!
    Thats wicked good bud, nice job
  • KHCoatingKHCoating Posts: 6Member
    And by the way, those were my first rims that i dipped :) So im glad that they turn out be pretty good.
  • BarbaricDesignBarbaricDesign Posts: 519Member ✭✭✭
    They both look spiffy, the paisley one is awesome!
  • dipinoutdipinout Posts: 45Member
    Hey guys just wondering, what is your dip window, after powder coating?
    I like to dip as soon as it cools down enough to the touch. The powder coat is still curing and is soft so the activator can etch into the base powder. After you rinse make sure the substrate is dry. I have a small preheat oven I put the substrate in for 10 min @ 90-100deg to make sure all the moisture is out of it.
    Good Luck
  • rickpricerickprice Posts: 13Member
    What is the best advice for me. My rims have been powdercoated and sitting inthe garage. How should I prep them for dipping?
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    rickprice said:

What is the best advice for me. My rims have been powdercoated and sitting inthe garage. How should I prep them for dipping?

A scuff with 400, OHW,dip,clear
    Rims are already the color needed for base color, does OHW have a clear base
    Just use a clear midcoat. Sg 100 or Jason has one also.
    rickprice said:
    Rims are already the color needed for base color, does OHW have a clear base
    ohw makes an intercoat clear that works great on that. Ive used it onmany items with great results
    Awesome thanks
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turns out our intercoat can take a real beating!
  • jtcustomsjtcustoms Posts: 137Member ✭✭✭
    Will the  inter  clear handle the heat of baking  after a powder  coated  clear after the  dip?
    No I dont think so, If you want to keep the powder coated colour you can scuff it, inter coat clear it, dip it, then automotive clear. None of the the paints will hold up very well in that heat for the amount of time it takes to get the rim up to temperature and cure.
  • tonycovtonycov Posts: 7Member

I like to dip as soon as it cools down enough to the touch. The powder coat is still curing and is soft so the activator can etch into the base powder. After you rinse make sure the substrate is dry. I have a small preheat oven I put the substrate in for 10 min @ 90-100deg to make sure all the moisture is out of it.
    Good Luck

Did you bake after dip with clear powdercoat or did you spray automotive clear after dip?
    I powder clear over powder base. Do not powder clear over any type of paint it will burn. I have a set of Z06 rims im doing now ill post next week the process i used. Good luck
  • tonycovtonycov Posts: 7Member
    OK so I tried this again over powder coat, I stripped the fender down to bare metal, Powder coated it "this time in black gloss" pulled from oven, cooled down then dipped, rinsed for 3-5 min in cool water, hung dried for 30 min, then clear coated in powder coat gloss 375 for 15 min. Im getting these little bumps and I don't know why or what Im I doing wrong...... The powder coating on the bottom side does NOT have any bumps nor does the sides where I taped off before dipping. Can any one figure this out???

pc3.jpg 791.9K
    pc1.jpg 623.4K
    pc2.jpg 698.9K
    edited July 2015
    tonycov said:
    OK so I tried this again over powder coat, I stripped the fender down to bare metal, Powder coated it "this time in black gloss" pulled from oven, cooled down then dipped, rinsed for 3-5 min in cool water, hung dried for 30 min, then clear coated in powder coat gloss 375 for 15 min. Im getting these little bumps and I don't know why or what Im I doing wrong...... The powder coating on the bottom side does NOT have any bumps nor does the sides where I taped off before dipping. Can any one figure this out???
    Ok if this is a porous metal you need to pre coat it with a mild powder, just enough to make it a colour then bake it. let it cool sand 400 or red scotch brite then do your finish powder coat. This should take care of the pitting issue. Also it being sheet metal it will heat up faster than thicker metals. Use a heat gun to determin when the part is at 375* then count down your 15 min. I recomend documenting everything good or bad this will give you a point of reference to go back to in the future.