Read this first!

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,336Administrator El Jefe
If you are posting questions about anything related to the Hydrographic process? Please take the time to copy and paste the following questions with your answers. This will allow the senior members and staff to better diagnose the problem and answer the question accurately. Remember answering these types of questions is not unlike looking into a crystal ball so the more information you give? The easier it is to try and help.

1. Are you a beginner, novice or seasoned professional? (This will help directing which steps are recommended)

2. Type of problem you are having.

3. What kind of primer & base coat are you using?

4. If base coat related? What kind of paint gun, what size tip and air pressure?

5. If activator/film related? What kind of paint gun, what size tip and air pressure? What film are you using?

6. What kind of dipping tank are you using? (Tub, self designed & built or professional)

7. What is the temperature of the water? What soak time? How many passes of activator?

8. What is the temperature & humidity of the shop?

9. Do you have a mustache and a beer in your hand? JUST KIDDING!!!...
:))

By answering these questions we hope to reduce misdiagnosis and get you the answers you need. Please feel free to offer suggestions for improvement!

Comments

• THE86THE86 Posts: 18Member

If you are posting questions about anything related to the Hydrographic process? Please take the time to copy and paste the following questions with your answers. This will allow the senior members and staff to better diagnose the problem and answer the question accurately. Remember answering these types of questions is not unlike looking into a crystal ball so the more information you give? The easier it is to try and help.

1. Are you a beginner, novice or seasoned professional? (This will help directing which steps are recommended)

2. Type of problem you are having.

4. If base coat related? What kind of paint gun, what size tip and air pressure?

5. If activator/film related? What kind of paint gun, what size tip and air pressure? What film are you using?

6. What kind of dipping tank are you using? (Tub, self designed & built or professional)

7. What is the temperature of the water? What soak time? How many passes of activator?

8. What is the temperature & humidity of the shop?

:))

By answering these questions we hope to reduce misdiagnosis and get you the answers you need. Please feel free to offer suggestions for improvement!

What kind primer and paint is better to use?
    As I had befor I dipped the item and film and paint melted off I tried again was okay
    And is there many tip of films?
    I get confused.com now :)
    And what's about with humidity whats the targrt?
  • SilverSilver Posts: 25Member
    1. Are you a beginner, novice or seasoned professional? beginner, yes

2. Type of problem you are having. After dipping, I am getting spots.

base coat paint gun mini HVLP-827

5. If activator/film related? What kind of paint gun, what size tip and air pressure? What film are you using? got it from OHG. activator hydro gator, activator gun HVLP-827W tip-1.4 air-15 to 18.

self designed, funny but it work :blush:

7. What is the temperature of the water? 90 / 80. What soak time? 60 seconds. How many passes of activator? 2

8. What is the temperature & humidity of the shop? temp 79 hum 80 its up and down here in Tulsa/Oklahoma.

:)) mustache, yes combo. beer in your hand, no probably could use one lol

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,336Administrator El Jefe
    OK first off...make sure you do not use the DTM primer on anything BUT metal...it's not going to stick to plastic...second? Drop your air pressure down to between 10 and 14 psi...third? Stick with the Hydrogator...

Lastly? That is underactivation wood grains are deceptive...you need much more activator than you would think. Also try waiting 30 seconds before dipping and let's see what happens...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,253Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I was going to suggest trapped air since they are all along the lip there and in the depression on the tab thing. Others could be from going in too flat. I had one in training that did exactly that. Plus they look like they have smooth, rounded edges. But I'm new, I could be wrong.
    Along the lip and the depression? Yes trapped air...but I don't think that is what he is asking about...that whole face is definitely lack of activator...
  • SilverSilver Posts: 25Member
    alright thank you guys I'll give that a try and let you know.
  • kemosabekemosabe Posts: 15Member
    I love that Matrix paint
  • Western_Front_HydroWestern_Front_Hydro Posts: 194Member ✭✭✭
    Like Jim said the wood grain film is deceptive I was at the point of giving up till I read some stuff on the forum and it was under activation I thought I was over activating it 
  • don123don123 Posts: 69Member
    think I posted this in the wrong place sorry about that but was wondering if I should put tape on the back of the holes thanks don
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,333Member ✭✭✭✭
    don123 said:

think I posted this in the wrong place sorry about that but was wondering if I should put tape on the back of the holes thanks don

Yes, you'll want to tape off those holes and then punch a small hole through the tape for air to escape when you dip it. Figure out what angle you're going to dip at and which end will go in first, then punch the holes on the TOP SIDE of the taped holes for the air to go out as you dip
    thanks a lot @IceMaster
    ok another question what would be the best way to dip it thanks again don
    Although I'm not as qualified as some of the guys here, I'm going to take a shot at this. I think I would start it with the end you're looking at in your pic and at a fairly steep angle to allow the pattern to get over those ridges, and really slow. Once it's over those ridges, slowly start to level it off....... Now let's see what the pros have to say ;)
    so about the bottom of the big holes is where I should start to turn the face of the fairing down is what your saying oh my way to much crown tonight lol
    and thanks again @IceMaster
    edited May 2016
    Wait until others pitch in with advice on this don123 because I'm really new to this as well and don't want to give you the wrong information. Just wanted to see if my thoughts on how to do a piece like that are correct.....

@MidOhioHydrographics @K2Concepts
    oh I will @IceMaster I'm sitting here waiting for comments
    OK Don...start a new thread...I'll leave this up until you have time to repost the pics and all...then I will clean it out...
  • 31chevy31chevy Posts: 7Member
    Are you a beginner, novice or seasoned professional? (This will help directing which steps are recommended) beginer

2. Type of problem you are having. Film is getting pin holes

3. What kind of primer & base coat are you using? Urethane

4. If base coat related? What kind of paint gun, what size tip and air pressure? Harbor freight hvlp 1.4

5. If activator/film related? What kind of paint gun, what size tip and air pressure? What film are you using? Harbor freight hvlp 30 psi

6. What kind of dipping tank are you using? (Tub, self designed & built or professional) self design . old freezers. With4 man hot tub pump and heater cut out one end for over flow into a piece of cuter with a drain . spray bar with garden hose conection

7. What is the temperature of the water? What soak time? How many passes of activator? 90° 60 second soak 2 passes

8. What is the temperature and humidity in the shop? About 90 to 95 a aprobably 70% 0r higher 

9. Do you have a mustache and a beer in your hand? JUST KIDDING!!!... Indeed
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @31chevy welcome to the forum! And thank you for taking the time to read, understand, and post all the necessary information.

Pin Holes can be cause by quite a few things, most common being trapped air or under-activation. But it can also be caused by over activation, water in your air lines, water on top of the film, contamination on your part... the list goes on. Please go ahead and start a new thread/conversation and upload some photos of your problem dip. We will get it figured out!

Also, if you continue to read through more posts, or just search "pin hole" in the search bar, you may be able to see some pictures that look like your situation. To summarize:

Jagged edged holes that look like the film is flaking away = under activated
    Smooth, round holes that look like the film is melting away, like oil and water = over activated
    smooth, round holes that are in a recess, or all in a line = trapped air
    Toss those guns...most of your problem right there...
    Ya. Lol the more I read I'm figuring out I will be spending the money for the devilbis and really intrested in taking your class
  • NaffGuttsNaffGutts Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
    31chevy said:
    Ya. Lol the more I read I'm figuring out I will be spending the money for the devilbis and really intrested in taking your class
    Yep, i was that guy not long ago. Its a hobby i said, dont need fancy stuff i said, and now i'm ordering stuff constantly lol.
    Where can I purchase the GPI gun I'm ready lol. Which I knew you were in Kansas sooner I would of been there. Like I said running behind lol
    31chevy said:

Where can I purchase the GPI gun I'm ready lol. Which I knew you were in Kansas sooner I would of been there. Like I said running behind lol

Here you go, sir. Prepare to be blown away.

http://www.k2shoponline.com/product-p/gp-1.htm
    Thanks man appreciate it!!
  • NaffGuttsNaffGutts Posts: 217Member ✭✭✭
    Not dip related, can I use @BigBrainGraphics dead flat over wicked colors? For context, I am doing airbrushing directly to a Yeti. Never used airbrush paint other than DC so unknowledged in area. But I can freehand draw pretty good so I'm about to wing it, just wondering on clear over it and how long the window is.

9) yes, beer in hand. Had carona, ran out, now drinking a sweetwater ale
    NaffGutts said:

Not dip related, can I use @BigBrainGraphics dead flat over wicked colors? For context, I am doing airbrushing directly to a Yeti. Never used airbrush paint other than DC so unknowledged in area. But I can freehand draw pretty good so I'm about to wing it, just wondering on clear over it and how long the window is.

9) yes, beer in hand. Had carona, ran out, now drinking a sweetwater ale

In short, yes. I use airbrush paint for touch ups on camo and then the Dead Flat.