Cera coat for base — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cera coat for base

Hey guys I'm playing arround with Cera coat as a base Im having issues with TWN films sticking to it. I can get others to stick but not TWN using hydrovator even got some of there 2010 they say 91* water temp flash cure 160 5 min then sit for 10 dip been messing with it just can't seem to get a consistent hit. does anyone have a good process they use.
* different activator
* whats the difference between films its driving me nuts, I may just switch to dura coat to get rid of the head ache any advice would be nice thanks guys

Comments

• SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what people think they gain from dipping over Cerakote.... It's expensive as hell and the pattern doesn't etch to it... Just use paint, or duracoat, which you have to clear anyways...
  • BIGGAME510BIGGAME510 Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    Smitty i tend to agree with u, I think people get hung on the word durability and u r rite most people don't want to pay the extra coin for Cerakote but u get people now and again that want what they want
    Ive been messing with another coating good results until i started using twn film then it wants to slide off i can do 2 panels use same activator one twn film and one from brent at KCH twn slides and the other doesn't any pointers on that???????? or ideas
    thanks
    No... I'd say no.. I don't dip to cerakote....
    Got ya SMITTY some times the head ache isn't worth the problem
    from what i c u like duracoat I just ordered some I dipped to it the other day and went flawless think I'm going that way thanks for the input
    I don't dip to duracoat either, do what you gotta do... But trying to pull off a cerakote dip is more painful than just saying no.... Cerakote is not paint, it does not have the same chemical characteristics that paint has that makes paint dip able.
    O I misunderstood I thought u dipped duracoat 
    so u just prime paint then topcoat with dura coat or cerakote clears 
    Thanks smitty for your help
  • gumbydammitgumbydammit Posts: 15Member
    I've done a couple of dips over Cerakote and didn't have any problems. I did the flash method you mentioned and then dipped and baked. Afterwards, I put on a Cerakote micro-clear and baked again. I'm using OHG film and activator & put in on the frame of a Ruger LCP that lives in my pocket 24x7. It's been done about two months and had had a couple hundred rounds through it & no issues with finish or function.
    OHG ?? Ozarks 
  • W3GW3G Posts: 36Member
    WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DIP TO CERAKOTE? THE BENEFIT OF CERA IS THE SCRATCH RESISTANCE/DURABILITY. YOU LOSE ALL OF THAT WHEN YOU LAYER THE FILM OVER THAT?!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    W3G said:

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DIP TO CERAKOTE? THE BENEFIT OF CERA IS THE SCRATCH RESISTANCE/DURABILITY. YOU LOSE ALL OF THAT WHEN YOU LAYER THE FILM OVER THAT?!

@W3G The firearm is still protected by the cerakote after a dip, it just adds a printed pattern to it. No more or less protection.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,139Member, Moderator El Moderator

W3G said:

@W3G The firearm is still protected by the cerakote after a dip, it just adds a printed pattern to it. No more or less protection.
    The same protection for the firearm, but the clear over the dip wouldn't be as durable (susceptible to scratching, etc), right?

• HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    W3G said:

Yeah, it doesn't really work that way.
    NotSoFast said:

W3G said:

The same protection for the firearm, but the clear over the dip wouldn't be as durable (susceptible to scratching, etc), right?

There are clears that you can use over Cerakote. Cerakote makes a clear themselves. Tough stuff.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    ^^ What he said. I'm not very experienced w cerakote. Only going by what I've read.
    Sure the substrate is protected but what about the dry lubricating factor of the Cerakote? It's kinda the whole reason they developed it with ceramic in it..... don't do no good fer ya' pattern over top uh dat'
    At that point it's just REALLY expensive paint.
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    What on the exterior of a firearm needs to be lubricated? Last time I checked, I didn't need the surface of my rail or receiver set to be slippery.

The interior is a different story. But I don't dip the interior of firearms.
    No need for snark mijo. Last time I checked the clearcoat I put over ALL dips protected the substrate underneath. Go ahead and spend that time and money... hope it works fer ya'
    A properly applied clear will crosslink all the way to the substrate.
    Ok it's been 7-8 months since I posted this. I've done some guns 
    and have figured out what works for me..
    ^^^ Cerakote is expensive but if someone request it I will use it. 
    Duracoat is what I use for base colors due to the tolerances u don't need to primer before coating
    after sandblasting that's how I roll. Rifle stocks really don't matter. One reason I use DuraCoat is its resistance to chemicals after cured. I use Cerakote clear over most pistol or rifle barrels 
    mother clears or top coats are PCL-26, and DuraCoat 
    min my opinion the Cerakote air cure is #1. PCL-26 close 2nd and DuraCoat close 3rd of course this is my opinion but works for me. Hope this helps some out and here is my personal AR.