Prime Coatings-Aqualac

brutal_1brutal_1 Posts: 386Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
Prime Coatings is by far the best water based paint in my opinion. It sprays nice and lays super flat. Also has good adhesion qualities. They have a nice color selection as well. Pretty much all we use here.

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    I like their stuff also..
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using water based for all your films?
  • FluidMotionHGFluidMotionHG Posts: 24Member
    not to hijack but what is the difference in a top quality water based like the auqalac vs behr paint?
  • GSPGSP Posts: 257Member ✭✭✭
    Can I get an amen… I mean a link?
  • RDSHydroRDSHydro Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta try it...
  • blackbeardblackbeard Posts: 169Member ✭✭
    Gotta find it =))

not to hijack but what is the difference in a top quality water based like the auqalac vs behr paint?

Behr is just a entry level pant to test the waters. Aqualac has better adhesion, lays flatter, far more color spectrum and flows though your gun better...it's like a AMC Gremlin versus a Mercedes AMG...no comparison...
    At the rate I am going at Behr might be the only option until my trip to the states.
    Is there a reseller of their paint or an online catalogue? They just had brief descriptions of the paint series.Do you just call their number to order? Im going to skip the behr, I've sprayed waterborne from auto paint supplier, it worked fine , but I wasn't thrilled with characteristics when activator hit it. This stuff seems like its what I was looking for. What series do you guys recommend? What tips do you have as far as mixing, spraying, drying times and things like that. Those are the answers people want to see in the thread, I know that at least I would like to know, you guys got me interested.
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 844Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a reseller.
    As for mixing, you can dilute with water (I use distilled) as for spraying I have used 1.4 tip -1.8 tip I like the 1.4 more for this paint. We resale the aqua lac 35 series. As for drying, it dries quick and I will dip 15 min after spray. A couple neat things with this paint is you do not use a hardener so there is no wasted paint. Also you clean your gun with water so it's cheap clean up as well. Hope this helps
  • UptonSpoonUptonSpoon Posts: 554Member ✭✭✭
    So boys and girls, is this available in the UK?

I am a reseller.

I was looking at the paint you sold brent, I wasn't sure what it was. Might have to add that to my next film order thanks for the advice bro

• brutal_1brutal_1 Posts: 386Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Tsunami said:

Are you using water based for all your films?

No, i also use solvent based but, water based probably 75% of the time.
    Also, if some of you are already wondering if you can get AQUALAC cheaper directly from PC, the answer is no. Resellers have buying power and odds are, you'll save a couple bucks buying from them. I buy it direct only because they're close to me and i can have my paint the next day in most cases which is worth the extra $$ imo.
  • wicked_dipzwicked_dipz Posts: 564Member ✭✭✭
    Maybe im crazy here but i only use solvent based high end products and thats because I know when its done its not coming back. I dont see how behr paint could be applied to valve covers and hold up or any other paint that is in similar nature. Now automotive based water based paint is a different animal because it still has solvents in it as well. Are you guys saying you use auqualac an behr on stuff automotive related or just things that will not see any abuse or heat.
    They will only deal with you direct if you are ordering 20+ gallons. I just got an email from them the other day.
  • LiquidDreamsLiquidDreams Posts: 250Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

They will only deal with you direct if you are ordering 20+ gallons. I just got an email from them the other day.

I spoke with PC about 3 hours ago and was told the same thing and was referred to a reseller to buy it in smaller quantities (sadly it wasn't Kansas Hydro). Brent do you sell more than just black and white?

Maybe im crazy here but i only use solvent based high end products and thats because I know when its done its not coming back. I dont see how behr paint could be applied to valve covers and hold up or any other paint that is in similar nature. Now automotive based water based paint is a different animal because it still has solvents in it as well. Are you guys saying you use auqualac an behr on stuff automotive related or just things that will not see any abuse or heat.

Aqualac is nothing like Behr...Behr is house paint, Aqualac is a water based paint specifically designed for the hydrographics industry, It has excellent adhesion, lays flat, has no dipping window, no obnoxious VOC level problems, cleans up with mostly water, good for just over 400 degrees and does not delaminate as far as I have experienced and we have painted and dipped dozens of quads and sand toys. I have been using it as a main stay paint for 8 years now and I can testify that it is good stuff.
    Behr is something theses newbies can play with at an affordable level just to see if they can make the print stick to whatever small project they have laying around...
    In the end you use what you like to use...solvent or water based...if it works? Why change it unless there is a need to...
  • joey21joey21 Posts: 139Member ✭✭✭
    I ordered Brent's paint and love it. I used it on a set of valve covers and it is still doing good! For the cleaning and the way it lays down you can't beat it. Especially when you can spray a couple dozen parts and wait to dip whenever you have time. I would recommend it to anyone whos looking for a water based alternative.
  • FluidMotionHGFluidMotionHG Posts: 24Member
    where can I see what colors are available?
    You can't. Prime coatings has no color wheel charts or anything like that...you just have to know what you want...
  • joey21joey21 Posts: 139Member ✭✭✭

You can't. Prime coatings has no color wheel charts or anything like that...you just have to know what you want...

What about LP? They have an assortment of colors on their site.

joey21 said:

What about LP? They have an assortment of colors on their site.

Same paint...but Prime doesn't use the exact numbers so you have to figure it out on your own...or order from LP...either way...
    edited February 2014
    Prime isn't a PPG or Dupont type company. They are essentially a custom paint company. When i call there for 1gal of silver and 1gal of timber, the colors are mixed when the order is processed. This is why they only like to sell larger qty's and now only to businesses that relabel and resell their paint. As they grow, they don't have time to be mixing 1gal orders anymore.
  • WatermarkWatermark Posts: 124Member ✭✭
    +10 on Aqualac. Got some colors custom mixed a while back for TWN films. Guess that has come to an end with the 20 Gal Min order. Does Kansas Hydro have a list of available colors he stocks?
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,259Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Watermark‌ If Brent doesn't have it (support the forum sponsors!), liquidprintstore.com is LP's shopping website. They have all their colors listed there, but you'll have to set up an account to actually purchase and see pricing.
    I am working hard at this moment to get more colors of paint on the site now.
  • WatermarkWatermark Posts: 124Member ✭✭
    Mid Ohio,
    Thanks for the info. I already purchase from them and they are literally 10 Min from My house. I am just looking at all my options, especially if I am not going to be able to order a couple gallons at a time, direct from Prime, for custom colors for some of TWN's films. It sure is nice to pour it straight out of the can and it be consistant each tme and not have to worry about mixing each batch.