wood sealer — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wood sealer

OK gun guys. What kind of sealer do ya'll use for wood stocks? I'm sure I've read it somewhere in here but can't seem to find it now.

Comments

• brutal_1brutal_1 Posts: 386Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We don't do guns but, we've done a lot of other wood items and just used an aresol wood sealer found near the stain at the hardware store. As far as brand, I think it was Cabot Quick Dry sanding sealer.
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Helmsman spar urethane.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 75Member ✭✭
    Thanks guys.
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    michael said:

Thanks guys.

Told you michael.lmao
  • michaelmichael Posts: 75Member ✭✭
    Nobody is listening to you blaster. lmao
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    michael said:

Nobody is listening to you blaster. lmao

Perfect..i feel right at home then.lol
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,004Member ✭✭✭
    After spraying the Helmsman and letting it sit overnight, do you guys just scuff it lightly before spraying it with base? I have never used Helmsman as the few the stocks I have done have been plastic.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

After spraying the Helmsman and letting it sit overnight, do you guys just scuff it lightly before spraying it with base? I have never used Helmsman as the few the stocks I have done have been plastic.

Yep. Scotch brite and paint.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,004Member ✭✭✭
  • HydrographixCLEHydrographixCLE Posts: 31Member
    @MidOhioHydrographics I see you guys talking about spraying the sealer...  So using a spray can of the helmsman spar should be fine???  Or actually brushing this stuff on?  
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Aerosol Spray can @HydrographixCLE
  • HydrographixCLEHydrographixCLE Posts: 31Member
    3 minute response!  Unacceptable:).  Thx buddy @MidOhioHydrographics
  • t_ozt_oz Posts: 100Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Does it matter which sealer finish you use? ie Satin or Gloss?
    Post edited by t_oz on
    t_oz said:

Does it matter which sealer finish you use? ie Satin or Gloss?

Shouldn't make any difference @t_oz
  • chuubabachuubaba Posts: 110Member ✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics I want to do a air rifle stock. It's not convenient to get the wood sealer in spray form. Can i use brush ? Any particular instructions for brush?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Sure you can brush it, but any strokes you leave in the sealer will show up in every layer after that. You will need to apply multiple layers and sand in between till it is flat.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,185Member, Moderator El Moderator
    chuubaba said:

@MidOhioHydrographics I want to do a air rifle stock. It's not convenient to get the wood sealer in spray form. Can i use brush ? Any particular instructions for brush?

You should be able to. Put it on as smooth as you can and sand flat after it dries completely.
    edited July 2017
    I brushed it on once and it was just very thick. Tended to fill the checkering more than I would like. Remember you can also use an epoxy primer for the same purpose.

EDIT: Sorry. It WAS VERY THICK.
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
    This is my first assignment. Cleaning/sanding the checkering safely is also a issue here as it aleady has too much clear coat on it. Also does spraying the wood sealer will not fill the checkering?

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That has already been worked over a few times.

A few things I need to point out here.

1. If this gun is already sealed on 90% of the surface area. It would simply be a scuff and paint as the un-sealed areas are minimal
    2. If you are spraying sealer, you can lighten up your passes in the checkered area to minimize build up
    3. The gun has multiple coats of some "Non-Factory" coating that you have NO idea what it is (it could lift or ball up on you and cause you to have to strip it and start over either way)
    4. Painting and dipping this gun is not going to repair the big chunks of missing material in the checkering
    5. Painting and dipping this gun is not going to remove the material that is already covering the checkering

You need to strip all the crap off that gun (either with a putty knife or a jackhammer) and at least get it back down to what is left of the factory finish (shouldn't be too hard as it looks like the additional layers of clear was applied with a floor mop) and then decide what to do from there... but either way? You don't have enough lipstick in your arsenal for this pig. Stick to something WAY easier right now.

Someone wants you to save what they already messed up, and they are going to hold you accountable when your process doesn't fix it.
    There is more info on this. Its a BSA R10. It was completely scuffed to bare wood once (excluding the checkering) and clearcoated (including the checkering) multiple thereafter. Another thing i am worried about is the oils on the inner side of the stock which i hope will be sealed and will not react with the sealer.