parts prep + primers

Hi Guys I am new to this whole industry I have ordered a bunch of film going head first in to this
I just want to say that I have tried to get as much info of the net .
But......... a few things on my mind
1-what primers on what products
2-what is better solvent based paints or water based paints
3-do you use different types of clear for different applications such as guns and engine covers

thank you and if there is any posts just point me in the right direction

Comments

• CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    OHW is a paint,primer in one with a huge dip window,will stick to most anything and while your ordering it you can get their clear which is great as well.As far as different applications use the search in the members project section you should be able to find some helpful info there.Good luck!!
  • projectsignsprojectsigns Posts: 23Member
    Thanks I will
  • GCIGCI Posts: 1,320Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    like blaster said OHW has got some awesome paint colors I would try them out first.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's other than abs, and I am using a water base say from Prime coatings I like a product called Pla- Stick by Dupont. It's an adhesion promoter that really sticks to plastic. Your gun guys I believe are using Cerakoat and Duracoat for there metal applications. Blaster got it right when he said OHW for everything else. You can't beat it. Good Luck
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,730Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    many thanks guys - and remember besides HDPE (which needs to be flame treated), out paint goes EVERY other substrate, including metals, fiberglass, bone, wood, glass, and of course, plastic. We designed it to take all the guesswork out of painting.
  • JeremyJeremy Posts: 1,106Member ✭✭✭
    Send some down under JJ OHW would be great
    find me a distributor!
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @projectsigns i almost forgot ..most paints you have to mix with hardner or converter,reducer which means what ever you don't use goes in the trash. You don't have to mix nothing with ohw which means whatever you don't use you can pour right back in the can and use another time.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,338Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    +1 on All the above info.

I also have been using Prime Coating Aqualac with great results. No harsh fumes, water cleanup, and no mixing w a hardener (pour leftovers back in the can), and pricing is decent too. I will need to watch my VOC output, so I went this route. And I'm still exploring other options as well. Using this water based option will require a little different prep/prime for each substrate. Metal - I have been sandblasting, etching primer, then Aqualac. For plastic, I have Flexi-grip adhesion promoter from Liquid Print. I have really liked it for my application. Different types of plastic will need a bit different prep, some flame treated. Some of my parts are acetal plastic and nothing will stick well to it. I have to sandblast them, but then I don't even need an adhesion promoter. Again, still exploring options here.

And like everyone else said, OHW is a great paint and great system. Easy peezy. Just prep/paint per the videos Jason has posted, and you'll have no problems. Good luck!
  • projectsignsprojectsigns Posts: 23Member
    what does the OHW stand for I want to see if we have supplier of that type of paints in south Africa
    it stands for One Hit Wonder, and you'll only be able to get it through Aquagraphix on this forum