tank on a budget — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

tank on a budget

Bronco95Bronco95 Posts: 19Member
This is my homemade tank on a college budget. The current problem with it is that the 1/8th hp pump is not pulling enough water from the bottom of the tank. it is pumping fine, but it is not pulling the excess film from the surface. Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    I don't really see any way this set up will ever work correctly.
  • Bronco95Bronco95 Posts: 19Member
    Hardeight said:

so what should I change in the setup to make it work?????
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    This is why the pumps on most tanks skim the surface of the water with jets. Unless your tank can flush like a toilet and remove all the water each time, a bottom drain won't get the floating film. Check out some pics of how other tanks work and rig up a scavenge tank and you may get some better results. Good luck!
    ok, thanks for your input. I'm going to go back to the drawing board and come up with another design
  • MasterjqxMasterjqx Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭
    Bronco95 said:

Hardeight said:

so what should I change in the setup to make it work?????

Get rid of the cooler for one thing.. thats almost as bad as a rubbermaid container... why do you even have a pump hooked up? just dump the cooler when your finished, refill for new dip.
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Masterjqx is so right.Why even try to rig a flush/pump system up? Its to easy to just dump or schim with a screen of some type.
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,142Member ✭✭✭✭
    use a fish catcher strainer thing
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    On a budget is one thing, but you have more invested in that than some starter kits...
    What about using a refrigerator with a freezer box laid on it's side, in theory it would work the same way as a couple of the chest freezer tanks I've seen on here.

How would I clean the activator out of the water then? My plan is to not have to dump and refill the tank after every dip.

• MasterjqxMasterjqx Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭
    the filter system does not filter the activator out of your tank, once you spray activator it is inside your tank till you do a water change.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thats pretty sweet.
  • ParrishStuckeyParrishStuckey Posts: 68Member ✭✭
    I built this tank for under 500 with heaters and pump. Its 4'X7'x30" deep with a 1' sump area for pump heaters and filters
  • Gunsmith53Gunsmith53 Posts: 198Member ✭✭

Well...look at the bright side...at least he didn't claim it was as good as a $10,000 professional tank...I respect that...

Some of us can't afford $10,000 right at first. HAve to do the best we can. I am looking for a good way to build a 6 foot tank.
    And some of us small shops don't get the Volume that the bigger shops do. The Hydrographic business is still catching on where I live.
    Bronco95 said:

This is my homemade tank on a college budget. The current problem with it is that the 1/8th hp pump is not pulling enough water from the bottom of the tank. it is pumping fine, but it is not pulling the excess film from the surface. Any help would be much appreciated!

The best way to filter it is to have a divider and have jeta that push the top layer of water over the divider through filter material
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,189Member, Moderator El Moderator

Well...look at the bright side...at least he didn't claim it was as good as a $10,000 professional tank...I respect that...

Some of us can't afford $10,000 right at first. HAve to do the best we can. I am looking for a good way to build a 6 foot tank.
    Jim's comment was about some companies that charge almost $10k for a "starter tank" but what you receive doesn't work much better than the cooler shown above. Not a dig at someone not being able to afford a $10k tank.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    You can say what you wish...I bought a $15,500 tank before we even had a business...Personally I think it is the cost of doing business...but it is a endless debate that has points on both sides of the arguement...but if you dont think you can afford it? Then thats your answer...for us it was a matter of NOT having a piece of quality equipment that was VITAL to starting the business...much less getting it off the ground...so for me? It was the price of getting the business off the ground...so I FOUND the money and let me tell you it wasn't easy...but neither is business...

I built this tank for under 500 with heaters and pump. Its 4'X7'x30" deep with a 1' sump area for pump heaters and filters

What did you coat the inside with?

You can say what you wish...I bought a $15,500 tank before we even had a business...Personally I think it is the cost of doing business...but it is a endless debate that has points on both sides of the arguement...but if you dont think you can afford it? Then thats your answer...for us it was a matter of NOT having a piece of quality equipment that was VITAL to starting the business...much less getting it off the ground...so for me? It was the price of getting the business off the ground...so I FOUND the money and let me tell you it wasn't easy...but neither is business...

I understand and in ways agree. And one day I will have a factory built tank

I have a head ache...

I guess it's because the inside isn't stainless but, the water looks dirty or something.
    Masterjqx said:

the filter system does not filter the activator out of your tank, once you spray activator it is inside your tank till you do a water change.

Absolutely, the only thing that is filtered is the leftover film and ink.

I have a head ache...

I guess it's because the inside isn't stainless but, the water looks dirty or something.
    No no...I am pretty sure it is the lack of personal protection by having a EXTREMELY DANGEROUS NON WATER TIGHT ELECTRICAL CONNECTION right outside the "conductive" water source...which by the way is right in the path of the water running off the parts as one would pull them out of the water...

This is all under the extremely optimistic outlook that the owner of said tank survives the first dip...

I want this on YouTube...

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    PURE water is a poor conductor. But as soon as you place your hand in it, you introduce salt... A VERY good conductor
    I hope no law enforcement agency decides to charge the owner of this forum with criminal negligence because of all these pictures...
    Bronco95 said:

What about using a refrigerator with a freezer box laid on it's side, in theory it would work the same way as a couple of the chest freezer tanks I've seen on here.

How would I clean the activator out of the water then? My plan is to not have to dump and refill the tank after every dip.

You don't. you just have to watch and when your film starts looking like it is crumbling from the bottom the lays back out flat, you need to empty the tank and refill. I have a small 4 foor tank and I refill it once every couple weeks if I dip a lot

I understand and in ways agree. And one day I will have a factory built tank

I undestand all that and you are right about having a quality piece of equipment. IO have started looking for the best priced tank and I think I have found a way to get the money to get it. But, I do agree with what you said.

What did you coat the inside with?
    What did you build it out of? And what did you coat the inside with to prevent rust that the Activator won't eat away? I am just wondering. And looking for ideas
    Bronco95 said:

I don't think it is suppose t opul the escess film to the bottom. That's what the dam and filtration system at one end is for. In my humble opinion.