Do You Have What it Takes?

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,255Administrator El Jefe
edited May 2014 in K2 Tip Of The Day
Starting a business is hard, and it isn't for everyone. Getting angry with your boss or longing for a flexible schedule aren't reasons to go out on your own. Entrepreneurs are a breed all their own, and there are certain things needed that will mean the difference between success, and not so much success. They say it takes a village to raise a child, and the same can be said for starting a business. Having a personal support system in place is crucial when your small business ideas are going from crawling to walking.
Post edited by K2Concepts on

Comments

• RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    This is a good one @k2concepts for the anxious and impatient to realize. Surround yourselves with successful people in your community and ask the questions you are unsure of that made those people who they are in business today. When I first started working I had an uncle tell me "you are a product of your surroundings" and I have kept that in the back of my mind on who I associate myself with. Some get left behind and some I look for a way to learn from.

It is a whole different ball game between spending someone else's money and your own on resources. Managing people, material, coordinating equipment, vendors, budgets for day to day as well as usually 1and 5 year forecasts are all part of the growing process and the success down the road.
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of you guy's have great tips and advice.thanks
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,255Administrator El Jefe
    Had to rename it...sorry guys...lol...
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent advice! All new start up business's have a high failure rate and I would imagine the hydrographic business is higher than the average industry.
    You definitely need a plan, and if you are going to do this as a business, financial resources, discipline and good business sense. I don't care who you are, you can think of every single cost imaginable and there is still way more.
    When you learn how to ride a bike most start out with training wheels, do you have to? No.. But you will definitely get some scrapes and bruises along the way. If you stick it out, eventually you will learn your balance and be able to ride. The learning curve would have been much faster and a lot less painful if you used the training wheels.
    In this business you can teach yourself by all means, but the training wheels will not only give you the confidence you need but will also help to eliminate a lot of the cost associated with falling off your bike. After you teach yourself you may or may not be money ahead. But you might wind up loosing potential repeat customers or starting a reputation for doing sub-par work or ridiculous time frames while you taught yourself what to do. Or worse, get burnt out trying to teach yourself and beating your head against the wall and give up.
  • UndercoverCoatingsUndercoverCoatings Posts: 558Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    I'm very blessed to have a wife that is so supportive of what I do. I work an offshore schedule and I'm gone a lot as it is, and then to throw a business on top of that makes things pretty hectic. She hasn't complained once about the absurd amount of money that gets spent on films, paints, spray guns, etc etc etc. I don't hear gripes about the late nights in the garage and she even runs to the hardware store when I need some tape or thinners.... Without that kind of support, I wouldn't be able to make it work. Very grateful indeed!
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

I'm very blessed to have a wife that is so supportive of what I do. I work an offshore schedule and I'm gone a lot as it is, and then to throw a business on top of that makes things pretty hectic. She hasn't complained once about the absurd amount of money that gets spent on films, paints, spray guns, etc etc etc. I don't hear gripes about the late nights in the garage and she even runs to the hardware store when I need some tape or thinners.... Without that kind of support, I wouldn't be able to make it work. Very grateful indeed!

2nd that. She is awesome, mine that is!