Kansas hydrographics paint — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kansas hydrographics paint

brando121brando121 Posts: 119Member, Business Ninja ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Water Based Paints
So since I havnt seen anything on this yet do you have to reduce kansas hydrographics paint or is it a solvent or water based paint any ideas or Brent if your floating around here please and thanks guys
Post edited by brando121 on

Comments

• RyanHeathRyanHeath Posts: 770Member ✭✭✭
    water based. you should be able to reduce with distilled water
  • brando121brando121 Posts: 119Member, Business Ninja ✭✭
    Thanks
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 820Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's it. Thanks Ryan!
  • HydroDynamicsAKHydroDynamicsAK Posts: 438Member ✭✭✭
    Aqualocs ROCKS!
  • fireplug808fireplug808 Posts: 19Member
    Brent, are you planning to carry more colors? All I see is black and white on your site.
    Yes,I have a silver that I have not put on the site yet. The plan is to only get red,yellow, blue, black, white,silver and gold. If you need something special that you cant mad scientist with our paints check out ohw!
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,552Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You might look at a biscuit or light tan for the camo's, just saying..
  • USMCDipperUSMCDipper Posts: 14Member
    On the water base paint.. Im using Spectra airbrush waterbase paint with a badger airbrush. is that a good combo to use for hydrodiiping? My plan is to do some airbrush work along with my graphics.. Thanks

On the water base paint.. Im using Spectra airbrush waterbase paint with a badger airbrush. is that a good combo to use for hydrodiiping? My plan is to do some airbrush work along with my graphics.. Thanks

not sure. ive used wicked by createx befor with good results but spraying it from a spray gun is way different. You have to do super light coats or you will get pigment migration.
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 744Member ✭✭✭
    Ryan, are all of those wicked colors for airbrushing? Do you know anything about their auto borne line? Have you had much luck with water based paints hydro dipping?
    Wicked and auto air are interchangable. They are basically the same paint. Simon murray from sm designs told me that througg an email when we were talkin. Simon murray is the owner of sm designs and the face of auto air. Auto air is more expensive and has a whole lot more color options. You can by the wicked by the gallon if you order online. You could also paint a car with wicked if you want. Just not too many color options avaliable like kandies and such. Its not a easy to spray. Has to be applied in really light coats but you can cure it with a heat gun in less than a minute and clear in over it in as little as 5 minutes. If you wanna see how to paint with it go to youtube and search for sm designs. You use wicked just like auto air
    They both are a mechanical bond when cured opposed to a chemical bond. Also with water based no dipping window or clear or repaint.
  • JakeSnakeJakeSnake Posts: 386Member ✭✭✭
    Any tips on gun setup for Brent's paint: tip size, psi...? @kansashydro
    1.3 or 1.4 tip, 17 psi but every gun is a little different.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @JakeSnake I use a Devilbiss FLG4, I run a 1.3 at about 22-24 psi. I also have my fan closed down a bit because I'm painting small parts. It's just Aqualac from Prime Coatings. You can thin it w/ a little water if necessary, but I have never had to. Been using it almost exclusively since I started a few years ago. Love the coverage, no smell, and easy clean up!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,564Administrator El Jefe
    1.4 to 1.5...30lbs PSI...go to town...

1.5, 30psi... I guess i went a little too hard...

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Going to try a 1.5 tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That looks like 2 coats before the first was dry, or way too thick to me.
    Ya @WileECoyote one really heavy coat... a little sanding to think about what i did... set up my gun w/ 1.3 & turned the fluid down a bit two light coats later and then...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Now you got it! Take your time when painting, no rush on Aqualac. Put it down on the part and step back. Look it over and evaluate. Fill in where you need too.
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,046Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just recently tried @kansashyro's paint. My first time using water base and it covers so nice. Brent was a lot of help with a few questions I had and the paint was at my door[in Sav Ga.] in three days with free shipping. Great paint!! Thanks.