Cerakote as a basecoat?? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cerakote as a basecoat??

Hello, Im new to the forum,but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable craftsmen here. My shop has been in the business of custom rifles for some time now. We do a lot of cerakote finishes for shotguns, rifles and pistols. After watching most of Jim's videos I have become convinced Hydrographic printing would be an excellent addition to what we can offer our customers. My question (first of many to come I'm sure), is it possible to get a good hit that will stick with cured cerakote as a base? Also, I see a lot of rifles that have been dipped 100%. I was wondering how well barrels that are dipped hold up to heat? If I coated an AR and my client cooks off a beta "c" mag (100 rounds) real fast, its going to get pretty hot! I look forward to your responses, and have a great day!

Comments

• HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    There are threads on this on here somewhere. It can be done but it's tricky and generally not worth the headache.
    I don't dip MSR barrels because I have seen it get burnt off but some people want safe queens and don't put their rifle through those kind of paces.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, it sucks... Use Duracoat, its cheaper anyways
  • dodarmscustomshopdodarmscustomshop Posts: 7Member
    thank you for the input. Oh by the way Duracoats not too bad but cerakote ceramic based coatings are far more durable thats why we use it in our shop. If you arent going to bake the finish on or just doing a gun yourself duracoat is fine. Thanks guys have a great day.
    Cerakote is a superior coating. I use it daily.
    But dipping to it is a whole other hassle. More time and work either equals higher prices or lost profits. Customers generally are not willing to pay an up charge if given the option. This has been my experience anyway.
  • preedpreed Posts: 354Member ✭✭✭
    personally now that ive been using both coatings, its my opinion i like duracoat better. i dont dip to cerakote. but have found cerakote scratches just like anything else. so to hear the word superior... i dont know about that. but cerakotes videos sure imply its the best.
  • Reaper06Reaper06 Posts: 121Member ✭✭
    preed said:

personally now that ive been using both coatings, its my opinion i like duracoat better. i dont dip to cerakote. but have found cerakote scratches just like anything else. so to hear the word superior... i dont know about that. but cerakotes videos sure imply its the best.

That would depend on what series of cerakote you are talking about. The C-series is an air cure, which is the high temp air cure series. I use this on suppressors and machine gun barrels. The H-series is the heat cure series and is hard as a rock. Full cure time on these are different. The C-series takes two weeks to be completely cured, and yes it is easier to scratch. Many people like to use duracoat because it is cheap and easy to spray. I have never had anyone in my shop ask me for duracoat, they all ask for cerakote. Duracoat is easier to dip to, that is why dippers prefer it. The trials I have run, the heat cure cerakote can be dipped to, you just have to let it set for a couple of hours before you rinse. It takes time for the ink and chemicals to really get in and etch to the paint. But once it does its on there. And cerakote clear works really good on it. My suggestion is don't do barrels. If they are dead set on having the barrel done just let them know that the film will not stand up to prolonged heat. You don't know how they shoot, therefore don't sacrifice your work or reputation.

• preedpreed Posts: 354Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Reaper06 said:

preed said:

That would depend on what series of cerakote you are talking about.
    i was talking about the H series. actually just had one come in somebody wanted fixed (not one of mine) because it was scratched. also had a buddy while going thru the airport had somebody (airport worker?) pull his guns out and laid them on top of each other and they are scratched. (his story) and i have had one of mine come back because it was scratched. so in a nutshell it scratches. im not here to argue about chevy vs ford cause i really dont care but IMO to say cerakote doesnt scratch is a myth.

Everything scratches.
    Even the $$$ Nitrocarborized parts I work on scratch.

I do get tired of people thinking any coating is bulletproof. But it is what it is.
  • Reaper06Reaper06 Posts: 121Member ✭✭
    And if a guy is gonna complain that his gun coating is scratched, going back to what someone said in another thread I saw, it must be a safe queen. I am hard on my guns, especially my ARs. Most guys I know who shoot on a regular basis are too. Oh and the Ford or Chevy thing. Depends on the year. Mopars are pretty bad **badword** too.
  • dodarmscustomshopdodarmscustomshop Posts: 7Member
    Thanks guys for all your input
  • CloakHydrographicsCloakHydrographics Posts: 23Member
    If I use cerakote for basecoat and dip to it must I use cerakote clear over it?
    Not if you don't want to.
    If you let the Cerakote completely cure, no clear will be really happy about trying to stick to it.
    That is what I was thinking, will it then be better to put primer and basecoat and just use cerakote clear over that? or will the pattern bite enough into the cerakote to not come off without clear?
  • gmjericgmjeric Posts: 85Member
    CloakHydrographics do you currently shoot much cerakote?

yes if i dip to cerakote i use a cerakote clear over it... H300 armor M from cerakote... if not the ink in the cerakote base is only as thick as ink...
    Not really still deciding if its worth the trouble to offer dipping to cerakote or to just offer the cerakote alone as another option.
    It will drastically slow down production time. I don't like Cerakote clear coats personally. They are all still too glossy. Even the matte ones aren't flat enough for my liking.

You can use other clears, just can't spray them after it's fully cured. Even then you really don't get a good cross link because Cerakote is so solvent resistant.

If a customer wants it, I will do it, but they pay extra.
  • gumbydammitgumbydammit Posts: 15Member
    Still new to this myself, but I've found the clears to be pretty glossy as well. A couple of things that helped me - I put an ultrathin coat, then flashed it, then another vs a thicker coat of clear which came out more glossy. Also, on one that was particularly glossy, I rubbed it lightly with 00000 steel wool & that knocked it down.