Why are people so dumb!? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people so dumb!?

LiquidMagicLiquidMagic Posts: 19Member
Ok, in my primary line of work I see stupid happen on a daily basis. I do dipping as my side business and the first time I was asked if I could dip something in a solid color I thought it was a joke.

The person wanted their motorcycle parts dipped in black. It was one of my co - workers so I laughed and said "yes it's called paint you idiot."

Well I've been approached twice since with the same request. One person even asked despite telling me they had watched the process on YouTube.

Well today while finishing an AR in Kryptec Typhon a guy walks in with a 1903 side by side shotgun that he wanted me to dip in black. I finally caved and told him I would paint it for him (he's one of those neighbors that like to come and stand there and talk when your at your busiest).

Am I the only one getting this type of request? How do you handle it without having to explain the whole hydro process?

Comments

• liquidfirehgliquidfirehg Posts: 32Member
    Ive had the solid color question at least a dozen times. Im in the same boat I just seem to find myself explaining the whole process
  • LiquidMagicLiquidMagic Posts: 19Member
    Someone needs to make an informational video so we can sit people down to watch it. I could get a lot done in the 20 minutes wasted every time i have to stop to explain it.
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    People either understand or they don't. I've had employees I think still don't understand.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe
    I don't think I want to stoop that low for an idea for a video...lol...BUT it has it's merits because "YES" I have been asked that question many times...frankly I am surprised a thread hasn't been started over it already...lol...
    Here's your sign...
  • RDSHydroRDSHydro Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yep...had a guy with a bike helmet wanting it dipped flat black...I laughed and said sure, that'll be $75...
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had that yet but @LiquidMagic i have told a few neighbors that wanted to just hang out and drink that for insurance reasons i'm not allowed to have anyone but employees hanging around in my shop while work is going on.Because of the chemicals..yes i lied but it works. hell i don't want them over any way. If they need something dipped they have my number.lol Nothing personal....its just business buddy..lol
  • andyandy Posts: 103Member
    Never a solid color just the stainless and aluminum sheets but I'm sure someone will
  • RyanHeathRyanHeath Posts: 770Member ✭✭✭
    ive had this several times and i just say it defeats the purpose of getting something dipped. I tell the i can just paint it. I had 1 guy say he wanted me to dip his 9mm in gold chrome with a mirror finish lol. i told him to go buy some gold sprypaint from walmart to save him money so he could do it himself lol
  • The_DonaldThe_Donald Posts: 6Member
    hmmm, new film design concept, could be worth something.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,951Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    TopCoats said:

I think I'm going to start ordering rolls of clear PVA, market it as a solid color dip kit. Just paint your part the desired color, dip it through the clear film then clear it! Ta-Da! You now have a solid color part that has been dipped! I'll make millions!

I've got some brushed stainless that might as well be clear.LOL I like your thinking.
  • Audiofreak19Audiofreak19 Posts: 280Member ✭✭
    I wonder if those people are thinking of plasti dip. Because that might explain them thinking its tougher then paint and the flat black color. And a lot of people use slang for plasti dip and just say it's dipped flat black or what not. But either way they are still dumb for getting the two mixed up.
  • pskunk119pskunk119 Posts: 108Member ✭✭
    Isn't this what HGI is doing when they are doing these "Hydro Skin" helmets in solid colors? Here they are dipping a Giants helmet in ....... blue.

HGI_NYGiants_2012_HydroSkin_02.jpg
  • FWHydroFWHydro Posts: 445Member ✭✭✭
    I've got to where I say yes we can dip solid black and it is the same price as the carbon fiber. Less discussion, time, and aggravation. And if they want to pay it, I will sure let them. :D
  • HalfDippedHalfDipped Posts: 53Member
    FWHydro

I have been doing the same thing.
  • CGSKustomsCGSKustoms Posts: 15Member
    I get that all the time also.
  • DipStickDipStick Posts: 41Member
    Lol. I guess its people everywhere. I haven't been doing this long at all but I've had that request several times. The first few, I explained it to, but now I just say ok. I had a customer pick up a set of "solid black hydro dipped" wheels for his boat trailer this past week. He was thrilled with how they looked.
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Taking advantage of a misinformed customer will only take you so far. You might be an to make able easy buck once or twice but the truth will eventually get around to them.
    Then odds are you will lose the customer and gain a reputation as an unscrupulous business.

Just food for thought.
    Post edited by Hardeight on
  • GCIGCI Posts: 1,317Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I was asked If I could dip some mason jars in a blue or something like that for a wedding. I told him dipping is not for solid colors. He said oh really. and I told him I could paint them for him and he said let me think on it and never heard from him.
    GCI said:

I was asked If I could dip some mason jars in a blue or something like that for a wedding. I told him dipping is not for solid colors. He said oh really. and I told him I could paint them for him and he said let me think on it and never heard from him.

THAT is usually the reaction I get...lol...
  • LCSLCS Posts: 262Member ✭✭✭
    LOL, I am so glad to see this is not only happening to me. I het this all the time also. I started telling them solid colours cost a little more to process. One day it might bite me for being such a smart A. But it's just to funny to pass up.
  • gowrenchgowrench Posts: 198Member ✭✭✭
    AHaha, but now, you can give the tinted chrome as a solid color. @LCS. Cheers
  • 4KCM4KCM Posts: 1Member
    Since i am new to this and have already had this issue, what is the best action for "hydro dipping" plastic parts gloss black? I have Dip Stick brand paint. Should I use that or find something else?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited March 2017
    4KCM said:

Since i am new to this and have already had this issue, what is the best action for "hydro dipping" plastic parts gloss black? I have Dip Stick brand paint. Should I use that or find something else?

@4KCM Paint it black and use a gloss clear coat.
  • willie14228willie14228 Posts: 235Member ✭✭✭
    Have you considered its possible they are confusing dip with cerakote. 
    I too was already asked about a single color and when I asked him what vid he was talking about that is what he showed me.
    Uneducated isn't the same as stupid
    Being a shop manager over mechanics who liked to treat drivers as stupid because they didn't understand something didn't take long for me to realize that kind of mindset soon builds a barrier that will chase customers off. 
    Start looking down (even in mindset) and it will soon start transmitting in body language, tonal reflex and the eyes, We are pack animals and do not need to vocalize our feelings and impressions of a person for them to pick up on it.

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Have you considered its possible they are confusing dip with cerakote. 
    I too was already asked about a single color and when I asked him what vid he was talking about that is what he showed me.
    Uneducated isn't the same as stupid
    Being a shop manager over mechanics who liked to treat drivers as stupid because they didn't understand something didn't take long for me to realize that kind of mindset soon builds a barrier that will chase customers off. 
    Start looking down (even in mindset) and it will soon start transmitting in body language, tonal reflex and the eyes, We are pack animals and do not need to vocalize our feelings and impressions of a person for them to pick up on it.

I agree wholeheartedly with this line of thinking. Every time someone asks me to dip a solid color, I explain the process to them in more detail. Some people are still confused, but most are fine with it. I honestly think many people confuse it with Plasti Dip because of the term "dip" involved.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,464Member ✭✭✭✭
    You really want to confuse them tell them its water transfer printing and see the look on there face lol