Woodland Snow Camo Ar15

AmberAmber Posts: 21Member
hi everyone, this is my second hydro dip i ever did and i dipped my ar15 in snow camo to match my pistol! opinions? :)

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,858Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did u roll or 50 50 the butt stock?  See an issue on one side where it rounds out but that's all in technique and with 2nd dip not bad at all. Pics are hard to see the rest. Definitely have seen worse after 3 months of dipping
  • AmberAmber Posts: 21Member
    edited May 13

Did u roll or 50 50 the butt stock?  See an issue on one side where it rounds out but that's all in technique and with 2nd dip not bad at all. Pics are hard to see the rest. Definitely have seen worse after 3 months of dipping

thankss. i rolled everything actually lol idk the proper way to dip ar15's. and ya i screwed it up a lil bit but it doesnt look to bad i dont think! and the white spots are un noticable because of the film patten and stuff. everyone i showed said they liked it, i dont think the normal person will be able to spot the imprefections like people who hydro dip can lol
    BTW, i ordered some camo film from my same supplier (dip ape) , but for some reason i cannot get the friggin film to stay together! it always stretches so much until it becomes undippable, but this snow camo film is great it always stays together that's why i used this film instead of the army camo.. does anyone know why all the army camo films i have keep stretching to much that it dissolves and become undippable? :(
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,086Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    stretches so much?? Like once you spray activator on it?

if so, are you using "dams" of some sort? Even tape will do if needed..
    Was that film suppose to look something like this?

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,858Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using dams. Put tape across the water to keep the film from spreading. Also rolling or 50 50 works.  Rolling takes more technique but some prefer 50 50 because its easier to keep from stretch or fade of the film. I honestly think 50 50 is a cleaner look just takes more time
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,850Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job your doing real good for just starting out. Get a airbrush and some waterbased airbrush paints for touch ups if your gonna keep it up we all use them from time to time
    edited May 13
    smedlin said:

Was that film suppose to look something like this?

im using this film from DIP APE

for some reason, when i spray activator on it, the film just dissolves instantly :( i wasted the entire roll i ordered trying to figure out why its doing that. i tape it up the same way i taped up this woodland snow camo, but for some reason all the camo films just dissolve instantly and i cant dip it.. thats why i had to settle for this snow camo, even tho i REALLY wanted that camo above on my AR.. it would of looked soo cool!
    the film i posted above is softer then the snow camo film, like the snow camo film feels like crunchy plastic, and the film above feels like soft rubber. do you know what i mean?

Are you using dams. Put tape across the water to keep the film from spreading. Also rolling or 50 50 works.  Rolling takes more technique but some prefer 50 50 because its easier to keep from stretch or fade of the film. I honestly think 50 50 is a cleaner look just takes more time

oh ok thanks! i will def try that next time, because i really wanna use the army camo films i buy. and eventually dip stuff in pink muddy girl. :)
    looch said:

Nice job your doing real good for just starting out. Get a airbrush and some waterbased airbrush paints for touch ups if your gonna keep it up we all use them from time to time

thank you looch! im learning little by little hopefully i can prefect this art because i love this hydro dipping process. its hella cool and im glad i found out about this!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,899Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah I'm thinking if that was any other pattern than snow camo? You'd be seeing some issues. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there are large patches of film missing in that camo. Not 100% sure though.

You definitely need to contain your film. Tape all 4 edges, or lay the film and then lay tape all the way across your tank in the water around it as a frame. The film should expand and liquefy once you spray activator. It becomes liquid, so if it's not contained? I will expand into nothing.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,887Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Amber said:

eventually dip stuff in pink muddy girl. :)

Lol @WileECoyote

Don't listen to him amber.. muddy girl rocks.

gotta really pour the juice on it though.

Advice.. start out with some speed shapes until you get your process down better. You can even use light switch covers to practice with..