Does Hydro dipping effect the price of firearms?

AmberAmber Posts: 21Member
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section!
I just wanted to know, do you think that a hydro dipping a firearm effects the price of a firearm?
Say that you brought a $300 mossberg 500, and then you hydro dip it, then you decided you wanted to sell it a month later,
would you guys buy a hydro dipped firearm?

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,850Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a price increase if you bought a new firearm dipped from factory . But since you bought it and now its used it can effect value,  plus alot of people will want something different thenwhat you have done 
  • AmberAmber Posts: 21Member
    looch said:

There is a price increase if you bought a new firearm dipped from factory . But since you bought it and now its used it can effect value,  plus alot of people will want something different thenwhat you have done 

okay, i understand your opinion
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,899Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, it's better to let the customer decide. As soon as you think someone will like a *widget* dipped in a certain pattern, it won't sell at all. You'd be better to have the firearm and offer to dip it for the potential customer.

Also... now you are getting into the business of dealing and modifying firearm. You need your Federal Firearms License (FFL) to do so. If you already have your FFL, great! If not, here is a link to get the process started.You will need your Type 01 or 07, but with the 07 comes extra responsibilities as a manufacturer.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-7-7-cr-application-federal-firearms-license-atf-form-531012531016/download

If you do not want to get your FFL, do not modify firearms, at least not the serial numbered part. To clarify, the slide you decorated on the pistol is fine. Just don't decorate the frame for a customer. Have them bring you completely disassembled items and only take possession of firearm parts, not actual firearms. Do some research on what constitutes a "firearm" per ATF law.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,899Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I should note that we dip many, many firearms and firearm parts in production. Black is still by far the most popular finish on firearms in general. Just look at a gun store at how many guns are black/regular finish (wood/blued) compared to camouflage. There is a market for camo on items (or I wouldn't be in business), but it's only a segment of the firearm market.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,086Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a local guy who is a full gunsmith.

he has a LOT of clients.

Recently I have been doing a fair amount of work for him. I've dipped several guns/parts for him.. or for his clients I should say.

His clients know that he now offers that service.

It's a win-win partnership.

That's a great relationship to have. And you have someone to disassemble for you! That's my biggest problem. I don't care how many times I describe what 100% disassembled means, at least 90% of the time I have to take crap off the gun before we can dip or Cerakote it.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,770Administrator El Jefe

That's a great relationship to have. And you have someone to disassemble for you! That's my biggest problem. I don't care how many times I describe what 100% disassembled means, at least 90% of the time I have to take crap off the gun before we can dip or Cerakote it.

Testify my brother...testify...
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 199Member ✭✭✭
    Is it much of a price difference in the US for a new rifle that is dipped compared to plain? Here in Australia I took notice of the prices whilst at the gun shop and it’s about a $50 difference in price, which seems odd as I would never dip a rifle for $50.
    Shannon said:

Is it much of a price difference in the US for a new rifle that is dipped compared to plain? Here in Australia I took notice of the prices whilst at the gun shop and it’s about a $50 difference in price, which seems odd as I would never dip a rifle for $50.

Well... They're not dipping "a" rifle for $50, the company is dipping them for about $20-$25 and charging you $50. But they're dipping thousands. We do some full firearm stocks (4 parts each) for well under $50, but we do a couple hundred a week. Imagine someone like Browning that decorates thousands of their shotguns on an automated line.

Check out the video on the home page for Outdoor Colors... This is how you dip production and make money at $20/firearm. (scroll down a bit to see the video). I'd love to visit a place like this someday.
    http://www.outdoorcolors.com/

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,086Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

This is how you dip production and make money at $20/firearm. (scroll down a bit to see the video). I'd love to visit a place like this someday.

Wow! that was great. Every 3 feet is a hanger...
    smedlin said:

This is how you dip production and make money at $20/firearm. (scroll down a bit to see the video). I'd love to visit a place like this someday.

Wow! that was great. Every 3 feet is a hanger...
    yeah.... legit... Very nice setup.
    @MidOhioHydrographics that’s an awesome link thanks. Yes it does make sense when you explain it like that thank you. I find it amazing the numbers your talking about and that company does.
    edited May 14
    Shannon said:

@MidOhioHydrographics that’s an awesome link thanks. Yes it does make sense when you explain it like that thank you. I find it amazing the numbers your talking about and that company does.

We do ok with our part flow, but nothing like having a conveyor part delivery system like that video. We are still a "batch" processor, rather than continuous flow. Works well for us. By end of summer I hope to be moving into our new facility with double everything. Fingers crossed. And to the point of the original post (as to not get off track), the ultimate reason we decorate is to add value to an item, right? Otherwise, there wouldn't be a business opportunity. You just have to find what works for your market, and where you want to focus your efforts. Cups? Outdoor equipment? Automotive? Those are three "low hanging fruit" type markets. We have since expanded into areas I never thought we would (see the drawer fronts and panels below). And that wasn't an account I even pursued. They came to me due to logistics.

• AmberAmber Posts: 21Member

Shannon said:

We do ok with our part flow, but nothing like having a conveyor part delivery system like that video. We are still a "batch" processor, rather than continuous flow. Works well for us. By end of summer I hope to be moving into our new facility with double everything. Fingers crossed. And to the point of the original post (as to not get off track), the ultimate reason we decorate is to add value to an item, right? Otherwise, there wouldn't be a business opportunity. You just have to find what works for your market, and where you want to focus your efforts. Cups? Outdoor equipment? Automotive? Those are three "low hanging fruit" type markets. We have since expanded into areas I never thought we would (see the drawer fronts and panels below). And that wasn't an account I even pursued. They came to me due to logistics.

wow thats a amazing operation! and so much pretty pink camo lol
    @MidOhioHydrographics I agree you are right, as this is still a relatively new process here in Australia our biggest issue I see at the moment is just getting the process out there to start with. I don’t think I’ve hadn’t a customer yet that fully understood the process, most thought is was a type of wrap and worry how long it lasts for.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,770Administrator El Jefe
    Shannon said:

I don’t think I’ve hadn’t a customer yet that fully understood the process, most thought is was a type of wrap and worry how long it lasts for.

That will never change...you just get some customers that are more educated than others...but I answer those questions at least once a week...