How many clear coats can you use?

AmberAmber Posts: 21Member
Hi everyone! I'm just got into hydro dipping. I sucessfully dipped my pistol slide after a 3 practice attemps with useless items :)

i have a question, after i dipped my item, i applied a clear coat to it after i let it dry for a hour,
that was 2 days ago. Is it OK to apply another clear coat now? idk if it will mess up the dip or something. thanks for the help !

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,850Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    What clear did you use and im pretty sure the recoat window is closed so no you cant without scuffing it first
  • AmberAmber Posts: 21Member
    looch said:

What clear did you use and im pretty sure the recoat window is closed so no you cant without scuffing it first

oh ok, and im not sure what kind it is, it just says clear coat . i buy the dip ape kit from amazon
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,858Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the clear in an aerosol?

Is the clear in an aerosol?

i dont think so
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,850Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should probably let the dip part dry more then a hour . And aerosols are spray cans 
    edited May 8
    looch said:

You should probably let the dip part dry more then a hour . And aerosols are spray cans 

oh! then yes i have the spray can activator. and i already put clear coat on it a few days ago, i think it looks good, i just wanted to know if i could add another clear coat even tho i already did it a few days ago, i just thought it would make the finish extra safe but idk if it will mess up the dip!
    i hope im not confusing lol. im pretty much just saying could i put another coat of clear coat on the finish (a few days after i dipped, and clear coated it) for extra protection?

what could be the negative thing that could happen if i do decide to use another coat?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,899Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You either need a chemical or mechanical bond between coats. To get the next coat of clear to bond chemically to the precious coat, it must be applied within the clear’s “recoat window” which can be as little as an hour to 8 hours. Maybe a bit more. You’re outside that window, so you will need to scuff or sand the previous coat of closet to get a profile (basically tiny scratches) in order for the next coat to bond mechanically.

If you don’t do this, the next layer of clear will not bond and will not be durable. It will delaminate (flake off) of the previous layer easily.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,770Administrator El Jefe
    Just scuff it lightly with a red or green or grey Scotch Brite pad and then spray another coat...you will be fine...

Remember I said LIGHTLY scuff it...not too hard or you will cut thru the previous coat of clear...and then you will have problems...

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,887Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, using aerosols, and being new to this, I am guessing you have a few thin spots in your clear. Be VERY careful scuffing, and make sure you don't put the next coat on too heavy or you will start to lift it (wrinkle it). If you spray too close you run the risk of the propellents damaging the previous coat as well, so make sure you keep about 12" of distance when you spray.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,899Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Yeah, using aerosols, and being new to this, I am guessing you have a few thin spots in your clear. Be VERY careful scuffing, and make sure you don't put the next coat on too heavy or you will start to lift it (wrinkle it). If you spray too close you run the risk of the propellents damaging the previous coat as well, so make sure you keep about 12" of distance when you spray.

All great advice.
    Thank you all very much. i will do a light scuffing with the scotchbrite pad and add one more coat :)