Paint question

Ok this is a crazy question but I did a bike for someone and the wanted the pearl in the clear and it made the bike go pink and the bike is now  cleared and lots of clear on it 3 coats with pearl and 2 without could I water sand with 5000 and hit it with candy to change the color and clear again 

Comments

• versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 225Member ✭✭✭
    First, wetsanding with 5000 is way too fine, grab some 1000 and give it a try.
    Second, was it pink the whole time and it was assembled or did it change after it was done?

Regardless, If you mix a candy red it most likely will help dull the pinkish look and give it a better tone, however if it is too strong or too many coats it will start to kill the look of the dip and colors underneath.
    Pearls should be mixed in basecoat, not clear. Use flake or candy for topcoating in the future.
  • angeldownangeldown Posts: 15Member
    It changed after painting I was black and white to start so I'm just want it to be darker since a guy is riding it 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,734Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Do you have any clear down before you started the pearl? May have a save point down that you can sand back to?
    Do you have any clear down before you started the pearl? May have a save point down that you can sand back to?
    No 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,775Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Wet sand with 500 grit if you have a good layer of clear. Pearl is a metallic in a clear base, so you would need a TON of it to make it change color. Spray a candy over the top and you will change the color, but you will also need to put a few more layers of clear on to protect the candy.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,734Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Dang....

I realize it does you no good now, but for future projects, always shoot 2-3 coats of standard clear before starting your candy/flake or other stuff as a save point for your dip. If something goes wrong, you can always sand back down to that again. You can also use an inter-coat clear or clear binder for this. Also, speed shapes for practice... always. The project should rarely be your first time trying something (unless its something like a shotgun butt stock that's easily redone).

But again, that info does you no good now and the finish on that looks fantastic, so starting over would be a pain...

I would coat some speed shapes or sample parts the exact way you did that project, and start experimenting with various candies to see what look you can get that the customer is happy with. Then start with what @WileECoyote says w the 500. Even a scuff with a scotchbrite would work to get your next layers on, but you want something aggressive enough that you get a mechanical bond. I typically use 400 grit, but that's pretty aggressive when you have that pretty of layers underneath and you don't want to start sanding through too far.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,821Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bad thing is when u candy its gonna change the skulls color too. It may end up looking worse
    The bad thing is when u candy its gonna change the skulls color too. It may end up looking worse
    I know right but has to be better then what it is lol
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,775Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I would probably use a black candy and make it dark enough that the skulls and metallic don't appear until it gets in direct sun.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,823Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kinda of paint did you use that turned from black to pink? 
    looch said:
    What kinda of paint did you use that turned from black to pink? 
    Just whit one hit wounder and the black on the film went pink cause the customer wanted red ghost pearl in the clear that's why it went pink
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,037Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me?

I'd chalk it up to lessons learned, eat the profit, and redo it.

Not the clients fault....
    Yep, the fault is on you for not putting a clear layer down first.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,821Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with wileecoyote i would hit with a black candie or tint some clear and just darken it up
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,773Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Text me and I’ll help you out 305-318-1468
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,823Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please post pictures of it once you redo im curious to see how it turns out