Skimmer Jets

CowboyCowboy Posts: 37Member
Can someone please tell me how far there jets are below water level. My tank has a decent pump In it but I’m not satisfied in how it’s moving the water. I could adjust the actual level of the tank but I would like to keep it flat for jigs ,rollers, etc. I also secretly can’t stand when things look out of whack. My thoughts are to fill the existing holes and drill new at a higher level.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,900Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    just below the surface of the water. Maybe 1/4"-1/2"

I increased the flow of my pump for that same reason. I went with a standard pool pump and it clears it much faster.
  • CowboyCowboy Posts: 37Member
    Thanks I thought they were a little deep they are around 13/4”-2”. It moves a lot of water it’s just outing it in the wrong spot. Thankyou @MidOhioHydrographics
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,900Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah that's too low. Is the water level consistent distance from the top of the tank? Seems like it would be out of level if they are that far under.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,770Administrator El Jefe
    about 1/2" below the surface of the water...
    The Tank itself is dead level all the way around I would like to leave it that way if I can. I just measured it after work and it a solid 2 inches under. Its an OHG tank not super impressed, definitely a few things need changing. I have some bulk head rivets im going to put in the holes and drill new ones up higher to be able to keep the tank level. Another thing I dont care for is when they broke the bevel for the top of the tank they broke it to the inside so the film will drift under there at times and its very annoying, not a huge deal but irritating for sure. Are all tanks built this way or do they use rectangular or square tubing around the top for their strength which is going to be my fix. @MidOhioHydrographics @K2Concepts
    Mine is to the inside as well, but there are horizontal dams that keep the film where I want it.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,891Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    There are DEFINITELY better built tanks out there. 
    Thanks @MidOhioHydrographics. And i definitely agree @WileECoyote The price was definitley right on this one and my family and i own a fab shop as well as a construction company so modifications are easy enough. I couldn't have built one for what i paid for it thats for sure. I think adding another dam up close is the quick fix for one of my problems. Thanks everybody for the tips
    Mine is broke to the inside as well...Personally I like it that way amd design mime that way as well...but that would probably be the only thing I like about OHG tanks...in my travels I have never met anyone who was happy with their purchase...
    I understand the reason behind breaking it to the inside I’m just going to continue it down to the water level change the jets for the spray bar change the dams and should be good to go lol
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,086Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does that mean, broke to the inside?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,891Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Brake press makes bends on sheet metal. The direction it brakes is how it's bent. In this case they mean that the flange comes to the inside instead of outside the wall. But that allows film to escape under that flange sometimes
    I do agree with the break to the inside just wish they would of continued it down to the water or used a piece of rectangular tubing to trim it out. Simple fix is the addition of a dam. But because I’m kinda weird about things I ordered some rectangular stainless and I am going to weld it around the inside to clean up the tank a bit which I will also use to put new jets in at the correct level. Two birds one expensive stick lol 
    I should note that we've needed that extra space in the past for allowing the film to expand. We did a golf cart roof in one hit that baaarely fit in the tank width. We let the film expand back under that lip to give us more room. It worked.
    Good thought @MidOhioHydrographics. The best solution is probably just a removable dam there. Since im building all new dams should i go with the slotted or the sliding
    I like the sliding kind. We have dams that are 50cm and 1m wide that we use most commonly. Other widths we just use tape.
    Cowboy said:

Good thought @MidOhioHydrographics. The best solution is probably just a removable dam there. Since im building all new dams should i go with the slotted or the sliding

Yea sliding...shot a video on that...
    I’ll see if I can find it @K2Concepts thanks 
    Got my jets figured out. I plugged all the holes and cut slots in with my air grinder 1/2 inch below the water problem solved