Metals

Not sure if this is the right spot to ask this but on steel, can you dip straight to it.?? Say like an ac vent in a home if it's factory painted. 

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,734Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @WolfBandit30 You cannot dip straight to most cured paints/powder coats. If you want to maintain the color of the vent to use it as a base, you can use an intercoat clear (like this one from OHW: https://www.ohwpaint.com/products/intercoat-clear)

Or just scuff and paint it the base you want. Try not to scuff all the way through to bare metal. No need to go that hard. Just scuff enough to get an even, dull finish over the entire surface.
  • WolfBandit30WolfBandit30 Posts: 44Member
    Thanks .That's what I thought. I was hoping to save time so I can use the base because it is white and the graphic needs a white base!!! Thanks. 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,647Administrator El Jefe
    Yea most of those registers are powder coated so you won't get the print to stick without prepping it.
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 271Member ✭✭✭
    As said above, scuff it, paint it, dip it. Or scuff it and use a clear intercoat as the base. We have done a lot of the floor registers in homes to make them look like the hardwood floors they are installed on and depending on the scenario this is the prep we do.