Can't get a clean dip. Keeps breaking up on me??????

daricksta619daricksta619 Posts: 82Member ✭✭
Hello I'm using hydrovador on a carbon fiber patter with OHW paint and for some reason this keeps happening. Does activator go bad? Or is hydrovador too hot? I want to try k2 brew or k2 super bro too see if that will fix this. Please let me know what can cause this

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,849Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what i can see looks like under activation did you let it dwell before dipping? 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,898Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That looks like a paint issue or severe under activation. Are those topcoated already? I'm leaning to paint being too heavy or not cured long enough before dip
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,885Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What is the clear coat you used?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,898Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

What is the clear coat you used?

That was my next question. LOL
  • daricksta619daricksta619 Posts: 82Member ✭✭
    I think it's the weather here in San Diego right now. I've haven't been dipping because of the rain and cold weather nights and moisture in the air. I have my set up under a car port with side walls but it's still cold at night and that's when I do my dips due to my day time job. For my clear coats I use a automotive clear aerosol which works best for small parts and I've used it a lot. I'll have to keep trying and see what I'm doing wrong.
    Did it do it after or before you cleared? It looks like the propellants in the clear caused you some issues. You know OHW makes aerosol clears also and they would be 100% compatible.
    I've used the OHW clear and it for some reason ate up the paint like if the clear was paint srtipper
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,885Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited February 20
    You are spraying too close. The propellants in the can need to dissipate before the material hits your part.

Never heard of OHW doing that under normal circumstances. I am guessing JJ would like to know what happened as well @onehitwonder
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,770Administrator El Jefe
    Paints too thick...not dried underneath so the surface is cracking...
    I'll try the OHW clear again from a distance and see if that works thanks for the tip @elmoderator

Paints too thick...not dried underneath so the surface is cracking...

This was my original thought.
    I'll let it dry more and then try the dip and see what happens. Thank you for the tip guys I really appreciate it
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,785Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please contact us at 305-318-1468 if you have issues!