Help with dipping angle!

I am attempting to dip my shark fishing reel, and I am having a hard time thinking of an angle to dip the main body. My first thoughts were to roll this, but because of the big side plate I don’t want the pattern to swirl. This is a pic of it.
And this is the pattern from Dip Ape

Any help/tips is much appreciated!

Comments

• MB_CustomsMB_Customs Posts: 54Member
    I’m sure the pros will chime in for the real help, which i am not, but from my experience on small items like that, I’ve done some pistol frames, that have limited real estate, you are better off dipping in multiple passes so you can choose what part of the pattern you want to show on the predominantly visiable sides, those bars in the middle will not even be noticeable with a bigger pattern like that. Just my opinion, and you know what those are worth, lol good luck
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,844Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Everyone starts out with this idea that everything is going to be dipped in one shot... Start masking things off and dip how you want the pattern to look on every surface. Obviously this isn't a production run, you have time, do it the way you want.
  • Carsonnn7Carsonnn7 Posts: 9Member
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 390Member ✭✭✭
    I would do the frame in a Metallic candy cobalt blue or metallic silver and dip the end caps with the shark pattern. It would be easier and look way better than the whole thing dipped.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,485Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Trouble on this .... Sometimes to much is just to much!
    @Trouble @Sreynolds I dipped it today and it actually came out pretty nice. For my standards. I have only dipped a handful of items. And yes I agree. There is a lot of other pieces that I painted blue to match the sharks in the film as kind of an accent. I’ll put a picture in this discussion tomorrow when I put it together. 

@Troublej ;@Sreynolds @WileECoyote @MB_Customs Finished the tip and put it together. Thanks for your guys feedback! I'm happy with how it turned out, considering all I used was aerosols and a plastic tote to dip it.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,818Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Nice! Looks good!
  • MB_CustomsMB_Customs Posts: 54Member
    @Carsonnn7 looks good man, I was picturing much bigger pattern from that pic you put up. I was picturing jaws” were gonna need a bigger boat” 😂 nice work with the highlight colors
    @Carsonnn7 looks good man, I was picturing much bigger pattern from that pic you put up. I was picturing jaws” were gonna need a bigger boat” 😂 nice work with the highlight colors
    Lol. Thank you! And yea the pic does make it look small but it's a Penn 60 wide, if you or anyone else was wondering. Just under 700 yards of 100lb braid on there 
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 390Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 16
    Nice, Liking the blue
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,052Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks pretty good!