Question from a beginner

hi everyone. New to the forum and I would be very grateful for any advice. I noticed in forum discussion that a lot of you use a media blaster. I was trained at TWN last year and not once did they show us how to use or even that a media blast was recommended. Our training was basically scuffing, painting basecoat , dipping, and clear coat.  What do you guys recommend get blasted?  Or even primed for that matter. 
Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• TroubleTrouble Posts: 376Member ✭✭✭
    I have one from Redline stands I use it mostly on metal. Its great to have but I do most of my prep by hand or orbital sander.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,995Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get away with doing something like a tumbler by hand (scuffing).

But I'll tell you, the FIRST time you have to sand down that cup because you messed up..yea.. you want a blaster.

or, if you do something with lot's of edges.. like a hard hat.. or a 4-wheeler part.. or a gun parts...or.. or.. or..

Basically, most things have to have an initial mechanical bonding (scratches for the paint to bind into to)...Not everything, but most things... if something is SMOOTH.. sure, hand scuff it.

But for stuff that has edges and corners....

(pic of the wife using our blaster...)

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,632Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Our blaster is invaluable. We use it daily. A lot. So much so that we got rid of our original "Grizzly Industrial" and spent a significant amount on an Empire pressure blast cabinet that saves us a ton of time. We are blasting a lot of parts for production accounts. Sometimes we scuff, sometimes we just AP/Paint, but sometimes blasting is the best option. All depends.
  • TonguesTonyTonguesTony Posts: 1Member
    Thanks for the tip! Will take note of these as well.
  • kdr3003kdr3003 Posts: 3Member
    Guys. Can’t thankyou enough for sharing. Very helpful. 
  • kdr3003kdr3003 Posts: 3Member
    smedlin said:
    You can get away with doing something like a tumbler by hand (scuffing). But I'll tell you, the FIRST time you have to sand down that cup because you messed up..yea.. you want a blaster. or, if you do something with lot's of edges.. like a hard hat.. or a 4-wheeler part.. or a gun parts...or.. or.. or.. Basically, most things have to have an initial mechanical bonding (scratches for the paint to bind into to)...Not everything, but most things... if something is SMOOTH.. sure, hand scuff it. But for stuff that has edges and corners.... (pic of the wife using our blaster...)
    What would you do as far as a auto rim?  In perfect condition. Blast all the way down to the metal or sand and scuff?  
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,697Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I wouldn't blast a rim. Lots of liability with that. If you want to scuff and sand though, that is alot safer... But not touching them at all is even better

I wouldn't blast a rim. Lots of liability with that. If you want to scuff and sand though, that is alot safer... But not touching them at all is even better

Why would blasting them be a liability?

I've never done rims.. not sure i want to do rims.. but I keep getting asked about doing them.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,472Member ✭✭✭✭
    @smedlin , I guess just like helmets or hard hats .... Anything goes wrong, your fault or not... it can turn on you quick if you have defaced them in any way.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,697Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The media causes microfractures. All the corners in a rim are rounded for that reason (so too not cause a stress point where a crack could form). Blasting defeats that purpose. I have done it in the past, I wont ever do it again. You may get lucky, but fair warning.
    @WileECoyote , that makes sense.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,570Administrator El Jefe
    Your results may vary...but yea...be careful...