K2 Concepts Blast Cabinet Siphon Feed DIY Part 2

K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,696Administrator El Jefe

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,818Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Very cool! Would almost call the left diagram a siphon while yours would be more of a gravity fed. No matter what it’s called? Looks like a fantastic idea and a great upgrade. Well done Jim! Very informative.
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,747Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I am going to do that to mine when I get the chance
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,844Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @K2Concepts The units that I am used to using are "reclaim" machines. Essentially there is a tee at the bottom of the cone, and the air is introduced from one side, blowing across the bottom of the cone and being sent to the tower. I suspect that there will still be surging in the way that you are moving material. If you get a bump to the cabinet, and a surge of material, it will fill the bottom of the cone and you will have to wait till it moves into your air stream. I could be wrong, just what I am used to seeing.

I was also a little concerned how long your reducer after the valve will last. You are going to have pretty fast moving media getting choked down to 1/2" right there, I suspect that copper is going to wear quickly. Did you at least go with "Schedule L"?
  • midnight_dippermidnight_dipper Posts: 73Member ✭✭
    @K2Concepts, Good video and explanation, thanks.
    @WileECoyote , could you post a picture or sketch of the tee at the bottom of the cone configuration you mentioned, I'm having a hard time visualizing what you described.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,844Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Give me a bit...
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,696Administrator El Jefe
    @WileECoyote Yes and no...you got the right idea but there is no need to bump the material...there is never a lack of supply because the material is always gathered at the bottom of the cabinet...at least 6” or more of material so it will never starve or surge...

That being said? I still experienced a pulsing of the material...so far I am underwhelmed at the design...I am going to leave it in place and test some more but for the time being? I extended the siphon tube another 12” and relocated the tube to a position that was not going to gather material behind it nor get material on top of the air hole cut into the side of the siphon tube...and believe it or not? It actually is working better...
    Here is what I am talking about. The horizontal tube fills up with media if it gets too long. Using a "street tee" you keep the pile small in the tube hopefully and eliminate some surging. Jim went to a reducer right after the "mix" and it may cause turbulance. And now that I think about it, there was a small gap to atmosphere right before the media came down. You are trying to create a venturi that pulls the media rather than gravity feeding it (like Jim was saying) so If you use an orifice you can limit the pile of material you have to work through.