Fires in the waste can — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fires in the waste can

TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not a painter so maybe some of you experienced painters can help. We all have heard the stories about garages catching on fire from something in the garbage can. With all the paint chemicals, activator, isopropyl s,you name it we use a lot of products . Are there thing that should be thrown in closed steel receptacles and not in the regular garbage. or things that should not be mixed together that can cause a reaction in the garbage. I do know that epoxies and hardeners if mixed hot, meaning too much hardener can get really hot. I try to keep those separate from everything. Burning my house down to dip a decoder ring doesn't make me sleep well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• submergeddesignssubmergeddesigns Posts: 53Member ✭✭
    Many of your body fillers will produce heat when they are mixed. For instance put way too much catalyst in your mixture and it hardens too quickly. Then you throw the mixture in the garbage with a flammable chemical soaked towel or rag there could be a instance where it could ignite if all the conditions were correct. It is good to play it safe and buy the proper storage containers for your waste.
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use them in the granite shop For epoxies and polyesters. Time to start using them in the new shop. thanks
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    We talked about this over the phone but just for safeties sake? I use only a metal garbage can for my waste products. The rest of the shop I use RubberMaid cans and Hefty trash can liners...but for my station where I mix all the paints, primers and activation, clears? I only have a metal trash can there and am careful what I put in it.
  • MasterjqxMasterjqx Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭

We talked about this over the phone but just for safeties sake? I use only a metal garbage can for my waste products. The rest of the shop I use RubberMaid cans and Hefty trash can liners...but for my station where I mix all the paints, primers and activation, clears? I only have a metal trash can there and am careful what I put in it.

+1 on that jim, i only use all steel cans aswell. no bags.. if something does catch fire while im not around atliest it will be contained...
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,952Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good guys. Thanks. now are you putting lids on the or letting them air out?
  • osufanintxosufanintx Posts: 164Member ✭✭✭
    @Tsunami @K2Concepts @submergeddesigns I realize this is an old post but would like to add some information. I used to work for an oil base and lacquer paint manufacturing company and we had a fire from dirty rags being thrown into pails after being used. The problem comes from any products that contain raw linseed oil. That raw material on its own will create enough heat when it dries out for the rags to spontaneously combust. Our best practice was to place all of our dirty rags into a pail and keep them submerged in water with a lid on them. Then we would place them into another container with a sealed lid to disposed of them.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    @osufanintx Great info and thank you for adding that!...
  • cameronparkautobodycameronparkautobody Posts: 57Member
    I have been painting for 20 years never had a fire, +1 on the metal can with LID. They actually dont start as easy as you think.